Backup gun...

In winter coat weather, I just move my snubby to my coat pocket. (And my wallet to the inside coat pocket. I actually prefer jacket and coat weather.)

Depending the season and climate conditions. In the summer and spring time months I conceal carry one small compact Bersa .380 caliber handgund.
Fall and winter months I carry a Glock 23 with a Rossi .38spl snub as back-up.

I understand the urge to carry a backup gun, but I rarely do it ... my EDC is a Kahr PM9 ... it's stone reliable (I know, stuff happens) and I carry a reload, so I think I'm good to go ... two guns, extra ammo, just too much stuff, especially in Texas where most of the year all you can wear is shorts and a t-shirt.

QUOTE: Biker Bill
I understand the urge to carry a backup gun, but I rarely do it ... my EDC is a Kahr PM9 ... it's stone reliable (I know, stuff happens) and I carry a reload, so I think I'm good to go ... two guns, extra ammo, just too much stuff, especially in Texas where most of the year all you can wear is shorts and a t-shirt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wear exactly that, till it gets so cold I am forced to wear long trowsers.
My cargo type shorts have plenty of room, so I carry my 44 Spl 3" CA Bulldog in my left side Galco Paddle holster, but the backup gun, a S&W 642 Air weight fits very well into my left pocket with a CA pocket holster actually made for the Bulldog. My reloads consists of 3 speed loaders 5 rounds in each, and one hearing aid container with 10 of my 44 hollow point sd ammo.
Your gun has higher capacity than mine, but my speed loaders fit in my tea shirt pocket. Harbor bay tea shirts are not flimsy, but heavy enough to provide good concealment. I guess if I lived in a big city, I might have to
carry at least one SA for higher capacity. Don't think I will ever have to reload, from a speed loader but I am prepared.

Semantics

So that we're all on the same sheet of music, it should be noted that the term "back-up gun" or "BUG" always referred to the simultaneous carrying of a second gun. A "hold-out" gun is a third gun carried in addition to the first two.

If the second gun is not being carried, it isn't a BUG. Call it anything you want but don't call it a BUG.

I have a rule .. never argue with a fellow Texan ... but hey, TexasJustice ... won't argue with all those speedloaders in a tshirt pocket, tho I would love to see a picture ... but carrying both guns on the same side?!?! no trainer on earth would back you on that ... what if your left arm is incapacitated? how do you get your backup out of your left pocket?

I live in a pretty calm and peaceful area, but I'm always armed because you just never know ... I might carry all the stuff you do if I lived in Somalia, but unless you spend a lot of time at 2am in a big city ghetto, not sure what all that stuff is for ...

Bikerbill: Quote:

I have a rule .. never argue with a fellow Texan ... but hey, TexasJustice ... won't argue with all those speedloaders in a tshirt pocket, tho I would love to see a picture ... but carrying both guns on the same side?!?! no trainer on earth would back you on that ... what if your left arm is incapacitated? how do you get your backup out of your left pocket?

I live in a pretty calm and peaceful area, but I'm always armed because you just never know ... I might carry all the stuff you do if I lived in Somalia, but unless you spend a lot of time at 2am in a big city ghetto, not sure what all that stuff is for ...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you have a valid point. I realize that your point regarding the guns on same side is valid. I have a cell phone, and a medical case on the right side. I am not accurate enough shooting right handed, and this is partly a thowback to the fact that I have worn a right hand paddle holster as well and was afraid I would expose the gun reaching for my cell phone, or for the medical pouch, so I dicided that it worked best for me to keep my guns away from the side where I might expose them and cause me a problem with law enforcement, for unconcealment. I guess I have less reasons now for doing it that way, since I usually carry the bug now in the pocket holster which would work on either side. If the criminal does not know I have a concealed weapon, he may be watching for it on the right side but I am left handed.
I will see my instructor next week when I go to the gun range to shoot my 44 bulldog and see what he says.

As for why I need all that stuff, the extra rounds in case of a long gun fight
even though I know the average gunfight is over in 3 shots. I don't want to run out of rounds. Ten rounds is my capacity, 5 in each revolver before reloading. I am more comfortable with two revolvers for me, than with any
semiautomatic. I have some other reasons for not wanting to move say to a safer area, relating to a family member. If I am in a gunfight, I did not plan to draw both guns, but would draw the second when the first one is empty, so if my left arm is hit, I will have to draw the gun from my left side with my right hand. I hope that never happens. So usually for me it is a choice, I reach for the pocket gun left side if I am approached and apprehensive about someone, soas not to expose the gun. I learned today, that if someone carried a third gun they call that a holdout gun. Not saying I can't shoot right handed because I can and I have practiced some, with my right hand but I can't hit acdurately enough partly because of cataracts in my right eye. And to add to this problem I am left handed but right eye dominant as I learned from Michael Martin's book Concealed Carry. So you have a valid point, but I am now getting comfortable doing it the way I do it.
On a counter point, I wonder how I would ever hide a magazine if I carried a semiautomatic. When I look, at someone to see if they are carrying a gun I look on their right side. I guess I am hoping a would be attacker will do the same not knowing I am left handed.

Biker Bill, by the way, I learned to carry my billfolt in right front pocket a long time ago, and not being willing to change that, for a pocket holster, i got the back pockets anf the front left. I might add, I have lots of holsters, at least 3 pouches, a fanny pack and at one time or another I have used them all. But everything I try I find has positive advantages and negative
shortcomings, so I just try to settle on what works for me.

Yeah, a front pants pocket 9mm works great when you are seated...

Or if you want to shoot from the pocket... at least, for one shot...

Front pants pocket can be a good way to carry, but it has its limitations, as does anything else.

I forgotten technique with backup guns is to carry it in such a manner that's it's also accessible to the weak hand. As your strong hand is holding the gun in front of you, it may take gunfire as happened to several FBI agents in the infamous FBI 1986 shootout. Secondly, you may be trying to hold onto your gun while someone is trying to wrestle it from you. Or perhaps, an attack trained dog has you by the wrist. Produce a gun with your weak hand and the problem is largely solved. If you can't get that backup gun with your weak hand, you might as well not have it.

Weak or off-hand shooting is just a matter of practice and mental commitment. I make it a point to practice weakhanded every time I go to the range. 25 years ago, an accident with a power tool left me temporarily unable to use my strong hand. I qualified with my issued S&W model 10-3" firing the entire course left handed, shooting 276/300. I was able to use my speedloaders using the thumb, ring finger and pinky of my injured hand.

QUOTE: Federali

I forgotten technique with backup guns is to carry it in such a manner that's t's also accessible to the weak hand. As your strong hand is holding the gun in front of you, it may take gunfire as happened to several FBI agents in the infamous FBI 1986 shootout. Secondly, you may be trying to hold onto your gun while someone is trying to wrestle it from you. Or perhaps, an attack trained dog has you by the wrist. Produce a gun with your weak hand and the problem is largely solved. If you can't get that backup gun with your weak hand, you might as well not have it.

Weak or off-hand shooting is just a matter of practice and mental commitment. I make it a point to practice weakhanded every time I go to the range. 25 years ago, an accident with a power tool left me temporarily unable to use my strong hand. I qualified with my issued S&W model 10-3" firing the entire course left handed, shooting 276/300. I was able to use my speedloaders using the thumb, ring finger and pinky of my injured hand.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appreciate all the advice, and I know that is something that could happen.
I ran this question to my range instructor I practice with, and he suggested a fanny pack in the front for one of the guns, to solve my issues. I worry too much I guess, about unintentional unconcealment. But I like very much using my left hand (strong hand) to access either gun. My brother said that it is not so important where you carry, as that you are carrying. If your time comes and your hit in the neck or somewhere else without warning you might not have a chance anyway. If I did use the fanny pack for one of the carry's I do not have access to the pocket gun when I want to get my hands on it without anyone knowing I am doing it, when approached by a potential
BG. Although I have a third handgun I am not willing to carry three.

I will say that at 10:oclock I can access the 44 CA Bulldog in a paddle holster, but admit that I cannot reach the 38 Spl in my left pocket. I could tell that my range instructor did not approve of my choice to double carry on the left side. But once before I was advised not to carry a pocket holster, but I tried it, read the posts, and decided that I like the backup weapon there best.

Back