Back Up Gun in Woods

Personally, my backup is my carry handgun(p220, 45acp). While I know I would be better suited with a 357 or 45LC, I have much more practice with my 220.

Nothing wrong with a .357 Mag, but when it comes to larger critters bigger bullets are a better option. Buffalo Bore offers a 255gr .45 ACP that clocks 925 fps, and that will shoot clean through a black bear, so that would be my suggestion.

I, too, have been reassessing my back country gun. I've recently jailed a 4" GP100. I might transition from a 1911A1 to a .357 Magnum. The CA back country gun stacks up solidly in the 1911A1's favor. However, with snake loads for birds & .38 Special wadcutter ammo for small game, the .357 Magnum might just be more of a wilderness survival weapon.

A factor that is seldom discussed is practical carry. I have yet to run across a big bore handgun that's as easy to carry all day than a 1911A1.

I fish in very remote area because that's where trout are. However, it is also where bear and lion live. And every once in a while, especially since I live & do a whole lot o fishing in CA, we run into a sketchy dude.

Personally I would choose .45 Colt over .45 ACP, but this hard cast Buffalo Bore round should work against black bears.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=214

As would this hard cast .357

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

A male black bear in rut is the most dangerous animal in North America.

I agree, while often you can scare off a black bear, often is not always. Also keep in mind that East Coast black bear are larger than West Coast black bear. I camp several times a year in Vermont and Maine, and I don't camp in campgrounds I camp deep in the woods. My woods gun is a 12g loaded with slugs, I carry it in a shotgun scabbard while hiking and my buddy carries a big can of bear spray.

Sansouci, my 5.5" Ruger Bisley's come in at 45oz, 5oz more than my SA 45; however, the ACP is about even since it holds more ammo. Carried in an El Paso Saddlery 1920 Cross Draw, they are extremely comfortable all the live long day. One other thing, a 240-275gr bullet at 1050fps trumps any ACP load.

There is some merit for carrying small when your main gun is big and carrying big when your main gun is small but doubling up with equal fire power while in the woods is a waste of thought and effort.

This doesn't exactly hit your question.

But since it hasn't come up yet.....

I would choose the one that you are most comfortable with, shoot the best.

All the ammo and power in the world will do no good if you don't hit the off switch......

I've been in a situation where I was confronted by a rather unpleasant critter, your blood pressure will go through the roof, adrenaline dumps and thats when your muscle memory needs to kick in......... Which is where being very familiar and comfortable with your anti eat me device comes in.

The reality of the question would be.......The gun that is the most comfortable to carry and that you carry all the time. That could be a 9mm or what ever, shot placement is always the key but that is tough to do when your heavy revolver or full size 1911 is left back in the gun case.;)

Originally posted by L_Killkenny:]/b]

There is some merit for carrying small when your main gun is big and carrying big when your main gun is small but doubling up with equal fire power while in the woods is a waste of thought and effort.

^^^This. When I'm carrying a hi-powered rifle for a primary, I usually don't even consider a back-up gun. If I do, it's usually a .22 for small game. When out with a SxS loaded with 7 1/2s, or my bow, I usually have a magnum revolver on my side. When I'm hunting deer with handguns.......I only have one.

^^^^^ absolutely, couldn't agree more. I carry a NAA 22mag PUG when rifle hunting to use as a final death shot if nessisary so I don't destroy any meat. I never carry a back up pistol when pistol hunting with a big revolver.
I always seem to be the guy to dispatch a deer/car collision with my NAA. Several dozen over the years. Its clean and efficient. Its ALOT less graphic than when I use to do it with a Buck knife across the neck. ;)

I would go with 357 with at least a 3" barrel, (longer is better).
In town, you can also shoot 38Spl+p defense rounds in it.

My 357 is a 2" model, so I would take my 44mag instead.
If you go 44Mag, in town you can load it with 44 Specials.

Back