Back Up Gun in Woods

JLK

Which would you cconsider the best back up gun in the woods against either a Bear or a Large Boar. 45 acp 357 magnum.
Also being that most hangun ammo is made for expansion in a thin skinned Human. Would you use a Full Medal Jacket.

If it had to be a handgun, the .357 with penetrating, heavy bullets in hunting loads would be my choice.
A .44 Magnum would be even better.

In Fl, definately the .357. I keep the first 2 cylinders loaded with CCI snake loads. If I need a solid bullet, I can thumb the cylinder around twice.

I have ben thinking of getting a 44 Mag. but every where I look there is no 44 ammo available.

My personal choice is a Glock 10mm loaded hot. A 357 revolver, properly loaded will do just fine. Both are about equal with the best loads out of comparable sized guns. The Glock just gives me more ammo and a lighter more compact gun. The only reason to step up to 44 over 357 is if larger grizzly's are a concern. It is more about bullet choice and shot placement than caliber.

I carry a Ruger GP100 with a 4.2" barrel when I am out in the woods. It is one of the best 357 magnum revolvers on the market in my humble opinion.

Bigger the better in my book. .357 For sure if I had to chose between them. But I would have to say YES on 44 Mag.

Be careful, I think you can get in some trouble if you have ANY FMJ in any gun while hunting. I know that's the case here in WI.

My woods gun is a 3" Ruger SP101, but coyotes are far more common than bears or boars in my neck of the woods. If I needed something bigger, I'd probably take my 5 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk, or at least my .45LC Vaquero (Yeah, I'm a Ruger guy.)

If I lived down south, I would go for the .357 magnum. Plenty of gun for the job, lots of ammo flexibility.

I carried a Colt .357 for years out on the West Coast, nowadays I live in grizzly country so I pack a 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk. But I still have the old
Colt, and I wouldn't hesitate to bring it out of retirement if the need arises.

jmr40 said:
My personal choice is a Glock 10mm loaded hot.
I agree 100%. Loaded with the right ammo a 10mm is no slouch. And I'm much more accurate with follow-up shots from a Glock 20 than I am with a revolver thanks to the trigger and the lower felt recoil. Also the extra capacity and durability of the Glock is a plus, along with the fact I'd much rather rough up a Glock than a nice revolver.

Not much chance of needing it down here in North Florida, but I always carry a Ruger SA in .45 Colt, or .44 Mag, when hunting.
There are times when I'll lean the rifle against an Oak tree, and wade into a swamp, or crawl through the Palmettos though. Then, the revolver becomes very necessary.

Black bears and boars are skittish critters and present no threat to people. I don't live in grizzly territory so that is not an issue. I used to carry a Ruger Old Army during muzzle loader season and a Redhawk .44 mag. during modern rifle season but gave them up as being heavy and unnecessary. Now, if in the woods I'll have my Ruger Single Six with mag. rounds in it. Only possible threat are mary-jane farmers and they are around only in summer weather.

The .357 is superior

More penetration is key with larger animals. Choose a heavier weight bullet as well- they will penetrate deeper.

Back