Back again with Percussion shotgun...

Got it....

No, not gonna shoot it.

I would like to pretty it up a bit and just keep it around. That is the only reason I would do anything at all with the nipples. It may well be that the piece looks better with the original boogered up nipples.

The trade for this shotgun also included three other pieces. There is a Stevens Favorite which is in good shape mechanically. Has a repaired stock. The action is pretty tight. There was a H and R .32 revolver with the cylinder missing. There was also a Regent .22 LR with a six inch barrel but the crane is busticated. I was under the impression that this revolver did or does not have much of a reputation. But this pistol is tight and seems to be well made. It actually still cycles with the broken crane.

This is the wrong forum for questions on the pistols.

While it's true that most American makers imported barrels from Belgium most of them have a stamp of the maker. Completed shotguns were imported by the butt ton and sold for a few dollars in hardware stores. Some of them were marked, some of them weren't. Most of the unmarked guns were made by a cottage industry where one person made barrels, another made locks and so on.

Thanks, Hawg

I think you will.

Since my Dad's shop is about like mine, I sold most of my tools but not the reloading and gun-smithing tools. I will replace the metal lathe and milling machine. We are actually thinking about adding a bigger shop on the back.

I have put a deposit on a 07 Chevy 2500 so I can get to a place to shoot.

I have made contact with a person with the idea of shooting on his property.

All of my firearms are going with me.

I think this time I might actually retire from working. I know we won't start another business.

Thanks Fingers

I am glad to be back and hope I can be a contributor but in the end, what's one curmudgeon more or less?

Curmudgeons are a dime a dozen. Interesting curmudgeons are much rarer. You've always been in the later group Doc.

"Back again with Percussion shotgun." I read the title and was going to skip this post. I mis took Percussion for Precision. Oppsie. Then I figured, I would post some sarcasm. Seemed prudent to look at the pics first! What a surprise! A great post & interesting gun.

It takes a curmudgeon to know one. I am in good company here.

So where am I? "North coral" I have to watch this sub forum

Just so y’all will be reassured…..

Here is how this trade started.

Since I am moving to FL and can’t take much of anything along, a lot of my stuff has to be either sold, given away, or abandoned. I had to liquidate an entire shop full of tools and equipment. This process started about three months ago and much of the stuff has been listed in either CL or eBay for that entire time. What remains is what nobody wants and what I can't take along.

I am moving in two weeks so I am in the short strokes.

A guy called me up and offered a trade for one of the pistol display cases I had made. He wanted to trade a Garland Cook knife. (Photo) I accepted and mentioned the other stuff I had to get rid of. We went back and forth and finally came to an agreement on the four firearms for tools which I had been listing for a total of 300.00.

So I gave up tools which after three months of listings, nobody wanted and he gave up some old guns that were worth about as much as the scrap metal. We are both probably secretly chuckling about it.

Once I examined the firearms, I quickly abandoned any hope of ever getting the shotgun to shootable condition. I knew I was looking at a relic/wall-hanger.

The Stevens was even more so since ammunition is no longer reasonably available. And, fixing the stock would be more expensive than the rifle would ever be worth. Ironically, the closest to shootable are the two junk revolvers.

Maybe I’ll trade the shotgun or the rifle for something at a gun show in Fort Myers.

Attachments

• Knife.jpg
    Knife.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 41
Started in on the shotgun

Got it apart after having to destroy three major screws. Made those today. I will post photos as the project moves forward.

Thanks, TK.

I am making good progress on this shotgun. I hope you all are not disappointed with my approach to this shotgun.

I think the piece in the condition when I got it had no collector value. It was completely non-functional because:

1. The nipples and interior of the beach were rusted so bad that the fire channels were completely plugged. I could only get one of the nipples out.
2. The hammers would not remain at full cock. They stayed at half cock but even a minor jolt would knock them off of half cock.
3. One of the barrels appeared to be either loaded or plugged to about an inch forward of the breach.
4. Stock cracked all the way through
5. Missing ramrod
6. Additional cosmetic issues that just made the thing look terrible.
7. I am fairly certain this is a cheap original. Workmanship is okay but far from top of the line.
So my approach to the project is to renovate into a shootable shotgun, repair the wood issues, replace the nipples with new ones, remake the screws and missing parts, verify the barrels are good, and (the worst part) remove the old patina to make the piece look more functional.

As I said previously, I think this shotgun was made in about 1860 to 1890. It has a Belgian proof mark and I will check the images to see if the style of that mark will date it more precisely.

Apologize for no photos yet. This is going to be a lengthy presentation. I hope you all have the tolerance to stay with me.

Here are some of the photos of the original

These photos provide an idea of the original patina.

Attachments

• Breach original.jpg
    Breach original.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Fore stock fitting.jpg
    Fore stock fitting.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Original breach.jpg
    Original breach.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 46
Back