Author—Gun Mistakes

The Terminal List by Jack Carr was a decent set, but that’s one example of some parts of the stories getting bogged down by technical aspects, and you sometimes suspect he’s getting royalties for mentioning high end name brands.

I’m pretty sure that I recall “smell the cordite…” in there somewhere.

The sword, as an effective weapon of war ended with the American Civil War and the perfection of Colt's revolver.

The sword was still a quite effective weapon of war where ever the enemy lacked revolvers or other repeating arms.

The history of warfare, both offensive and defensive is a constant series of innovation, and counters. Somethings last for long periods of time before an effective counter is developed, and sometimes only a very brief period of time.

And obsolete weaponry can still rule a battlefield when one side does not have its counter.

The advantage can be in equipment, or just in tactics, but it is real and effective when only one side has it and the other does not.

also, the Nazis did use revolvers, more than a few though they weren't first line issue. Small factoid, the gun taken from Hermann Goering when the Allies captured him was a S&W .38 revolver.

Hideki Tojo shot himself to prevent his capture, with a Colt .32acp. But the bullet didn't quite reach his heart. The US captured him, nursed him back to health over several months, then gave him a proper hanging. :D

One error just grates on my nerves...... European history writers always describe Nazi pistols as "revolvers", even when it's clear they were armed with an auto.

Or any handgun is called a "revolver"; seems a European standard. Any lever action, even a Marlin, is a "Winchester". Any .22 single shot is a "Flobert" even though not of any of his several designs.

There was the thriller in which a Mossberg model 500 shotgun was described as a .50 caliber weapon, based no doubt on the model designation.
And while VX is a potent nerve gas, VX-2* must be twice as deadly, so the terrorist procured some VX-10 which was really really strong. (His plot did not work out so he suicided by stomping on a bottle of nerve agent.)
*VX-2 may have been used as a designation for the binary formulation of the stuff.

Coincidentally, I just encountered a 1911 in a sci-fi set in the 25th century.
The starship captain put down a mutiny with a 1911 that his ship’s engineer had made for the captain from antique drawings found in archives. It was meant as a novelty due to the captain’s interest in WW2 history.
The mutineers had weapons that the captain had managed to disable through a back door in the ship’s control system.
He shot one of the bad guys and the loud noise from the pistol, and the gore from a headshot frightened the most of rest of them into submission. The weapons not functioning also played a factor.

Last edited:
Another probably 1911 occurs in Robert Heinlein's "Beyond this Horizon" where it is described as a "point forty-five Colt automatic pistol". At which point the owner of the newly acquired pistol gets to answer the question "point forty-five what" and brief diversion into inches versus centimeters.

This may be on of the earliest books with the phrase "an armed society is a polite society".

Time frame not mentioned but appears to be several hundred years into the future.

It is THE book that introduced the term, but you need the whole quotation
“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Going armed in that day was a matter of honor, crime and self defense were not even mentioned; but dueling was accepted.

and
"The police of a state should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight, is the foundation of civil freedom."
When a group of strong government theorists attempt a coup, armed citizens resisted them until the police could recruit enough volunteers to shut it down.

I read accounts by Buffalo Bill, he referred to his "needle gun", which to me is the Dreyse rifle-the Zuendennadelgewehr. He was talking about his Trapdoor Springfield. Calling a handgun a "revolver" is more of a British thing since revolvers never really caught on in Europe and the British stuck with the revolver as their issue military handgun long after nearly everybody else adopted semiautos.

Last edited:
I read accounts by Buffalo Bill, he referred to his "needle gun", which to me is the Dreyse rifle-the Zuendennadelgewehr. He was talking about his Trapdoor Springfield.

The Dreyse "Needle gun" got its name from the long "needle" firing pin, which was needed to pierce the paper cartridge and strike the primer, which was located on the base of the bullet.

Buffalo Bill was a master of showmanship and hyperbole (his "Wild West Show), and I believe his reference to the Trapdoor as his "needle gun" was a comment on its accuracy, being able to shoot the eye of a needle....and not exactly a statement of actual fact.

The firing pin of a Trapdoor Springfield is pretty long, I thought that was the reference, calling his .50-70 Lucrezia Borgia a "needle gun."

About anything is possible, when I meet Wild Bill, I'll ask him.....:rolleyes:

I don't expect to be able to post his answer here, though...:D

The film Saving Private Ryan was given a thumbs up by all the normandy invasion vets who watched it. That opening sequence was beyond dead accurate for them..

Most authors have no clue.

you have the point on the honor harrington series, first three good, the rest really went downhill.. and other charecters took over.

There are to many bad writers writing about guns,, its also the idiots that randomly write complete gun catalog descriptions in the text. that monster hunter series was bad for it.

Back