ATF and pistol braces ?

Stagpanther said:
Wow! Wouldn't that be cool!

It would be neat to have SBRs cut out of the NFA, but I've noticed that SBRs can be very loud, maybe even dangerously loud. Foresight, safety and due care for people located in the vicinity of ranges would have suppressors off the list too.

Just saying.

:D

zukiphile said:
It would be neat to have SBRs cut out of the NFA, but I've noticed that SBRs can be very loud, maybe even dangerously loud. Foresight, safety and due care for people located in the vicinity of ranges would have suppressors off the list too.

Just saying.
Supposedly the reason for regulating short-barreled rifles was to keep "concealable" firearms out of the hands of miscreants. I have never considered a suppressor to be something that makes a firearm more concealable.

I have never considered a suppressor to be something that makes a firearm more concealable.

Think Great Depression and silent poaching....

Or such was the stated reason back then, also silent murder, but then, that ignores bows and knives and clubs and rocks and everything else that can kill without noise...

I am given to understand that there are parts of Europe where "silencers" are required, for hunting.

I don't think the NFA was ever about common sense, or protecting the people. But that's just my personal opinion.

Think Great Depression and silent poaching.

Here in Georgia, we got a law passed about a decade ago to allow silencers while hunting. The biggest opposition came from a group of hunters concerned about poaching. We had a bit of a hurdle explaining there was a big difference between a poacher using an illegal improvised silencer and a law-abiding person using a registered silencer.

Suppressor's are legal to hunt with in Wi, at least last time i checked. Farmers are more inclined to allow you to use their depredation permits if you use a suppressor. Use of a suppressor allows me to use range outside of normal hours, as the limited noise does not bother the neighbors. They are not very concealable, and appear to be very rarely used in crimes.

Works the same way in France--farms often are within the town limits and maximum effort is used to not disturb the landowners (usually). Interestingly, driving game often is the preferred way of hunting.

The best part of this thread is where the blame is being directed at people on YouTube shouldering their brace instead of blaming the overreach of the ATF. Good stuff. Nothing better than gun owners eating their own.

Sometimes, people who poke the bear deserve to be eaten....:rolleyes:

The way I see it, if the enemy is making a mistake in your favor its stupid to point that out to them.

Joe_Pike The best part of this thread is where the blame is being directed at people on YouTube shouldering their brace instead of blaming the overreach of the ATF. Good stuff. Nothing better than gun owners eating their own.
Oddly, that first determination letter on the SIG arm brace was a complete reversal of ATF policy and previous determinations dating back to 1934. Yet no one complained about ATF's authority to issue that letter.:D

Now a decade later, ATF changes its opinion and IT'S OVERREACH!!!!:eek:

I'd say, with all the flip-flopping from the ATF, we have a decent argument for "arbitrarily and capricious" lawsuits.

MarkCO said:
Several have been filed. I'm not doing anything for a while, at least.
My state's grass roots pro-2A group met on Tuesday, and the guest speaker was the state's preeminent firearms law attorney. He basically said that nobody really knows what the new rule says, but he recommended not doing anything about filing paperwork until 90 days. If it hasn't been worked out in court by then, that's the time to start thinking about your options.

My state's grass roots pro-2A group met on Tuesday, and the guest speaker was the state's preeminent firearms law attorney. He basically said that nobody really knows what the new rule says, but he recommended not doing anything about filing paperwork until 90 days. If it hasn't been worked out in court by then, that's the time to start thinking about your options.

I agree, if you were not planning on SBRing them…

If it gets overturned, I can always build a pistol lower for easier travel out of the state, since I’ll squirrel a brace away for that reason.

Once my approvals come back, stocks for days.

Aguila Blanca
My state's grass roots pro-2A group met on Tuesday, and the guest speaker was the state's preeminent firearms law attorney. He basically said that nobody really knows what the new rule says, but he recommended not doing anything about filing paperwork until 90 days....
Hell, I'm not a lawyer and I know what the rule says. I read it right here--->https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/factoring-criteria-firearms-attached-stabilizing-braces

"Preeminent" may be a miscalculation.

Back