ATF and pistol braces ?

I don't have any AR pistols or anything with a "brace" on it, but I have a long familiarity with the fickleness of ATF regulation changes.

Long ago I had a Broomhandle Mauser. For many years the ATF said if it had a stock (or a stock with it that would attach) it was an NFA item. Then, one day, a bit of joy, the ATF said it was a Curio & Relic and not an NFA item.

So, I got a stock. Really nice, almost certainly a reproduction, no marking of any kind, just the classic wooden stock/holster. THen a few years later, the ATF said that in order to qualify as a Curio & Relic (and thereby be exempt from NFA status) the stock had to be "original period manufacture".

Now, I think the stock I got was probably made in the 50s. It MIGHT have been made in the 20s, like my pistol but there was no way to prove that. SO, rather than risk it being a legal issue, I sold the stock. A decade or so later, I sold the pistol.

Point here is, like they have recently done with the pistol brace, the ATF said it was legal and NOT an NFA item, until they changed their minds some years later, and said it was an NFA item, and therefore not legal without the proper registration and taxes.

I don't know any of the people, so I don't hate them as individuals, but I sure hate the way their agency operates.

This whole debacle caused me to convert my pistols into carbines with some form of the 16” barrel
I did the same, but don't really regret it--I always thought the rules were out there in the twilight zone and just begging for trouble.

I don't have any AR pistols or anything with a "brace" on it, but I have a long familiarity with the fickleness of ATF regulation changes.

Long ago I had a Broomhandle Mauser. For many years the ATF said if it had a stock (or a stock with it that would attach) it was an NFA item. Then, one day, a bit of joy, the ATF said it was a Curio & Relic and not an NFA item.

So, I got a stock. Really nice, almost certainly a reproduction, no marking of any kind, just the classic wooden stock/holster. THen a few years later, the ATF said that in order to qualify as a Curio & Relic (and thereby be exempt from NFA status) the stock had to be "original period manufacture".

Now, I think the stock I got was probably made in the 50s. It MIGHT have been made in the 20s, like my pistol but there was no way to prove that. SO, rather than risk it being a legal issue, I sold the stock. A decade or so later, I sold the pistol.

Point here is, like they have recently done with the pistol brace, the ATF said it was legal and NOT an NFA item, until they changed their minds some years later, and said it was an NFA item, and therefore not legal without the proper registration and taxes.

I don't know any of the people, so I don't hate them as individuals, but I sure hate the way their agency operates.

The ATF is the best example I know that proves we have way more government than needed.

Back