Armadillo Hunting

Armadillos are stupid.

I'm surprised they haven't gone extinct.

They just shuffle along not caring about anything. I think you could have a battalion marching in lock step and they wouldn't know they were coming.

I came across an armadillo a few months ago and shot into the ground near it from a few feet away and it didn't even notice. Just kept digging around.

I shot one with a 7 1/2 shot 12 gauge at 30 yards and he rolled and kept going.

I also shot one at 3 yards with a rifled foster 12 gauge slug and lets just say he went in two different directions at the same time.

You can walk right up to an armadillo and giive him a shot in the head with a .22rf.

Kilgor

So here's my question. If I stuck an armadillo to my front bumper or was in some odd situation that made this plated possum look like food, what's the best way to handle and prepare one to mitigate leprosy and other health risks?

If you have no open sores or cuts on your hands, no leprosy hazard. You could always wear those throwaway gloves, of course.

Otherwise, just use the same sharp knife you use on possum...

:), Art

Back to the golf course...

If it is in city limits, will there be a legal problem with using a .22?

Would a .22 air rifle be more legal, and more sporting? If a .22 short will take 'em, I'm assuming a quality .22 air rifle will do the same. And local residents may be calmed by knowing its "just a pellet gun."

"Armored Possum"???

So Thats how the little beggers survive Fire Ants:eek:
Eat one! :eek: Eat Possum!!:eek: :eek: Leprosey?!?!!! :barf: :barf: :barf:
I think all of this is an Anti-Texas Chamber of Commerce plot to discourage migration to Texas! It's Working! :p

Most cities have "no shooting" ordinances, but exceptions are made for approved pest controls. The golf course folks are responsible for all actions on their property, so they should get whatever offical approval is needed...

Art

How many Aggies...?

It takes two Aggies to eat an armadillo. They take turns. One eats while the other watches for cars. :D

A high-powered .177 air rifle - like, for example, an RWS M48 - will take an armadillo out to at least 20 or 25 yards. Just place your shot carefully. The .22 and .25 air rifles hit harder.

A .22 rimfire would be better. Fired from a longish barrel, a target-velocity (subsonic) .22 will hit harder than all but the most exotic air rifles, and still be rather quiet.

Most places, people won't even notice a single, distant "pop" in the middle of the night, so unless you unleash a regular fusillade, noise shouldn't be a factor.

I'd be very, very careful about local ordnances and very, Very, VERY careful about where the bullet ends up.

Tho armidillos have been helpful in Leporsy research, being the only animal that catches it, it is very unlikely that a human can catch leporsy from an armadillo. Would require a protracted period of intimate contact. Not even Texans are into long term relationships with 'dillos.

Sam

Florida Gun and Light at Night permits

"This permit does not authorize the use of a firearm in areas where such use is restricted by Florida Statute, city or county ordinance and does absolve the premitee from firearms safety responsibilities"

Note: The above in all caps on permit!

This is from a standard gun and light permit. Don't have a nuisance permit handy to compare. But I don't think they make any exceptions for nuisance removers. They want you to trap if possible, the exception being racoons. For some reason you can't transport a live racoon in Florida.

Ballistic,
What area have you put to a nuisance remover in? Being honest, if your in North Florida there really isn't much use for them. I probably only give out 3 removers per month. Most people take care of it themselves.

Central and South Florida are probably better bets, though. As far as what to use, some really good advice was given above. If firearms are legal for area, use the .22 with shorts, or CBs.

Armadillos are really, really easy to get close to. I kicked one in the rear once! Really wild watching him shag across the yard!

KilgorII
I also shot one at 3 yards with a rifled foster 12 gauge slug and lets just say he went in two different directions at the same time.

Armadillos on the half-shell? I did the same about a year ago! Talk about a mess!

We have a 400 acre farm and pretty much shoot on site policy, as they dig holes that can cause a cow to break a leg.

swampgator: "And now for some thread-drift".

Cows break legs in diller holes?

I've read that about prairie dogs' holes. I've now read that about dem diggin' dillers.

Now, back in about 1939 my grandfather got back into the cow bidness outside of Austin. We had registered Herefords and dillers and skunks and plow horses. Nuthin' never broke nuthin' in no holes in the ground.

Another branch of the family ranched--and I still ranch--down below Cuero, Tayuxes. (Cuero is Spanish for hide or leather.) We got cows and dillers and skunks. Nuthin' never broke nuthin' in no holes in the ground.

It's possible for somebody on horseback to overcome the horse's sense of self-preservation and run him through holey ground. But during my years of being invisible, bulletproof, indestructible and King Of My World (age 9 - 15) I absolutely knew that the only speed for a horse was wide open run, run, run!

Working cattle put a fair amount of mesquite thorns in my legs, but no horse ever broke a leg in a diller home.

:D, Art

Hey Swampgator, thanks for the input. I have a permit for Nuisance Animal Trapping and have the Night/Light application waiting to gain property owner approval. I still haven't received a green light from the Golf Course. I was under the impression that the local LEO's would make the call as to whether or not a firearm could be discharged within this "residential" area. The golf course is outside of city limits so I'm hoping they will approve. If they don't allow any firearms, I'll let you guys know and I probably won't take the job. The course is like an hour or so away from home. I don't really want to go over there everyday and empty one or two traps. I plan on using hi-power pellet rifles instead of .22 shorts. Some after dark testing I did last week proved positive for .22 short ricochets at different angles of fire. Probably use a combination of traps and pellets.

What area have you put to a nuisance remover in? Being honest, if your in North Florida there really isn't much use for them. I probably only give out 3 removers per month. Most people take care of it themselves.

Northeast Florida covering 3 counties. I only sent off for Nuisance Trapper permit so I could get the job at this golf course without breaking any "laws". If I happen to get one call per month in addition, that will probably be too much. Not to mention that I'm not exactly an experienced trapper. I ain't no city boy either. Grew up on 50 acres of swamp and garden and know a little bit about animal removal. Growing up with the nearest neighbor 1 mile away was great. There's nothing like being able to cruise the property with a .22 rifle and take a pee anywhere you want.

Art,

True, I've never seen a cow or horse with a broken leg attributed to an armadillo, however I was always told that from the time I was knee high. I guess I just took it for gospel.

ballistic gelatin,

I was under the impression that the local LEO's would make the call as to whether or not a firearm could be discharged within this "residential" area.

They will. The FWC has no authority over designating what is or isn't a legal area to shoot. Therefore we can't tell you it's legal to shoot on a permit in an area the city or county has designated otherwise.

Mainly comes down to what the county has zoned the area. In most areas, as long it is not zoned residential, you should be okay. For your golf course ideally it would zoned rural/agricultural, so check with the owners, they would know.

As for being a nuisance remover, well brother, you can have it! :D Actually in NE Florida, especially Duval, Clay and St Johns Counties, you probably would get some calls. Bigger cities have a lot of people who don't want to touch wildlife, but most get annoyed when they find out that they have to pay to have an animal removed.

Good Luck,
Gator

Hey Gator.

I acutally signed up for Nassau, Duval and St. Johns. I figured that would be as far as I would care to travel for any golf course work. Lots of acreage means lots of money.
As for being a nuisance remover, well brother, you can have it!
Come on now, explain yourself. Save me the heartaches. I might, just might, be able to learn from others mistakes, err, experiences.

Never had a horse break its leg in a hole either. It is a possibility though, especially if the rider isn't watching where there going. Some horses seem to have all sense of self preservation and intelligience bred out of them. A couple years back some people were boarding a thoroughbred in my barn. They let it out to the pasture and it ran full tilt and tried to jump a 5 foot tall, 16 ft long gate that was half way open (all it had to do was go to the RIGHT side instead of the left) The gate caught it at the knees and it did a flying somersault into the pasture :D, skinned up but not seriously hurt. I would have no trouble beleiving it stepped in a hole and hurt itself.
The bigger problem with holes is they can mess up the wheels on a tractor or implement really easily. Bent rims and flat tires are a real PITA when your in the opposite end of the field as your truck.

Back