Are you doing things differently?

Recent events have inspired me to do things differently. I typically carry a spare mag now - that's new for me. I also carry more often, even when not convenient. Sometimes this is difficult because my wife is a teacher and I spend a lot of time at the school. I hate leaving my pistol in the vehicle.

Nashville has become a very anti-gun city and I'm finding more places that prohibit. Alabama is very gun friendly though. I've yet to see a business with a gun buster sign up.

I am much more aware of what's going on around me too.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S

I'm going to bed now. My Glock 31 which is very seldom out of arms reach is going with me and will sit on the night stand until it goes back on my belt when I pull on my pants in the morning. Nah, I'm not doing anything different, same ole same ole.

Well, . . . I gave away my .380, . . . am becoming more comfortable with a shoulder holster, . . . now have 2 1911's, . . . and in general I am more "watchful" while I am away from the homestead.

And I credit more of that to better training and greater desire than to any particular "event". I gave up political rallies and movie theaters some 30+ years ago.

I agree that there isn't the amount of crime there used to be, . . . but also it used to be that one could almost predict the areas, . . . but with today's highway systems, . . . availability of transportation, . . . no area's are exempt. Therefore, I try to "play it safer".

May God bless,
Dwight

Made my change two years ago. Moved out of the Phoenix Valley. Obtained my CCW. Stopped going to large events. Do not patronize establishments who prohibit CCW. (Except the VA) Got my wife into shooting (she now shoots better than me within 10 yds) Developed a defense in depth around my property. Obtained more effective ammo for my weapons.

My rule on ammo is if you run out before the fight is finished then you don't have enough. Carry 2 spare mags with all of my autos with 2 additional mags and a box of ammo in the truck. That equates to 22 45 ACP for my 1911 and 45 rounds for my TA/TZ 9mm on my person.

As Bruce Willis said "Satan Clause is out there be Prepared Son, Be Prepared"

Thinking my Colt Agent 6 shot 38 spl snubbie and my Charter Arms 5 shot 44 spl snubbie may not be enough and might need to upgrade!

Excellent post BTW!

The time to decide is NOW not then.

I got my CCW back in february, but didn't have the funds for a carry gun for a long time. This weekend I picked up a USP compact in 9mm, and am shopping for holsters for it currently. I've never been an EDC-er, but I have been shooting actively for the past year or so. So my habits and lifestyle have both changed, and still are changing as I am starting to EDC, but not necessarily as a result of recent events. Just this weekend in my very quiet, suburban hometown, A local farmer was robbed and shot while selling corn on the side of the main highway in town. It's absolutely a reminder to constantly be prepared and aware, but it doesn't make me want to run and hide. It confirms my decision to carry, and yes, does make me feel a little more urgency to buy a holster and start, but doesn't make me paranoid.

I really like what was said earlier about situational awareness vs. paranoia. The former is a lifestyle and a mindset, the latter is fear.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power,and of love, and of a sound mind." - 2 Timothy 1:7

Back