Are You Changing Anything?

mk70ss

In light of recent events, both terrorist, and racially related, are you changing what you carry or how you carry? Any other changes to your daily routine?

Nope. I have 2 guns for everyday carry. And which one I carry depends on what ammo I have on hand to load for Gun and extra mags.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I took my best guard dog to the vet and had her teeth cleaned. I don't want anyone taking me to court for an infection. She also had one tooth removed, but it was only a molar. The other two dogs will have to take up the slack for a few days.

There is nothing in my neck of the woods to attack other than pine trees. :)

In light of recent events, both terrorist, and racially related, are you changing what you carry or how you carry? Any other changes to your daily routine?

Unless something starts to get real squirrley in my little city and my own neighborhood, no.

My EDC is different when I am on duty (LEO). I'm plain clothes and go with a P290. Now I wear my P227 a whole lot more, even if I print a little. Off duty I will carry the largest gun that conceals with chosen clothing. The gun fits with my attire, my attire doesn't fit with my gun. That's how it has always been.

As an aside, you should use situational awareness at all times. Obviously you should avoid an area that you know active rioting is going on... but if you live in a major metro area it could honestly pop up at any time. I'm suburban and I prefer total concealment with comfort (OWB), so when I'm off duty I usually stick with my baby gun (that I'm quite good with out to 25 yards). I have stepped up my game a little lately, but I'm also in a different situation than many here.

No....

Overreacting can be a mistake in my view..../ ... paying attention to things and folks around me that are unusual - and discussing it with law enforcement...is what I think is more important than ever .

My primary carry is a Glock 21 or 22 when I can effectively conceal it....

If I need easier concealment, then a Glock 23 or 32, absolute minimum of Glock 30SF (which I can conceal wearing a t-shirt).
If wearing anything other than gym shorts, then I'll also have a Glock 43 or at least LCP 380 as an alternative.

Although the odds of having to defend myself are low, if the unlikely becomes the unavoidable I'd rather have a Glock 23/32 or 30SF in my hand than a pocket pistol and carry accordingly.

Right now my EDC is a CZ-85B, full size, all steel pistol. It is 16+1 plus the extra magazine in my pocket. I don't know how much more heavily armed I could be without carrying another firearm.

I live in a small town and while we do have occasional gunshots/shootings, I don't think there is potential for anything of a large scale to come down. We are not near any major metropolitan areas.

I have considered carrying a smaller fixed blade knife in addition to my firearm, but that is more for utility purposes than any defense use.

Your chances of being involved in a terrorist attack are lower than your chances of being struck by lightening, and here in the U.S., most of the shooting attacks have been one shooter and even overseas they have only been 2 or 3 shooters at a time and they have not been infantry squad or larger attacks (so any gun/tactics you have for self defense that would serve 1-3 attackers should be acceptable for a possible terrorist shooter as well). As for the chances of the domestic protests endangering you or me, as it stands now I don't see that being very likely (though if you are a police officer that equation may be a little different). Should some in your city turn into full scale riots, you want to be ready for a riot so preferably get home as fast as possible and have something more than a handgun for defense (a shotgun or a .223/5.56 carbine).

That said, because it seems that home invasions and multiple attackers outside the home, while still far less common than a single attacker, are far more common than they used to be, I have changed up the kinds of guns I carry. When in a state where I can carry (not my home state unfortunately) I used to carry a 5-shot snub or a small auto (micro-9 or a Ruger LCP). I am selling my LCP, most of my small snubs, and my Kel Tec Pf-9. The only small auto I'm keeping is my SIG P290RS (mainly because I love that gun), but it will only see very occasional use, mostly as an occasional backup (and theoretically should I ever be in a situation where I simply can not conceal the larger gun). I am moving to primarily true compact guns for carry and currently have a .45ACP SIG P250 Compact (9+1 capacity) and have just bought a CZ P01 (14+1 capacity) for that purpose. I do still occasionally carry a 6 shot revolver, but no longer a 5 shot or 2" .38+P, the minimum is a 3" barrel (better ballistics and sight radius) and 6 rounds of .45LC, .44spl/mag (I don't have one yet), or .357mag.

When at home in MD where a CCW is nearly impossible to come by (and when out of state in order to have options for different situations) I have stepped things up. Long ago, I used to EDC a knife, but when I had jobs where I couldn't carry (as a teacher, it is against federal law for me to bring a knife to school) I stopped. Now, I try hard to remember to drop a knife in my pocket on weekends and evenings, and I even keep one in one of my vehicle's storage bins so I can have one for defense on my way to and from work. Also, in addition to a keychain container of pepper spray, I now carry a larger can of pepper spray gel on a belt holster when wearing clothes in which I can conceal it.

Yes and no last night we were planning to go out to eat at a restaurant in mid-town Atlanta. However, due to a Black Lives protest down town and their penchant for blocking surface streets and interstates we changed our plans. Now, to be quite honest if the Sci-Fi Convention or SEC football game had been in town we would have most likely made the same adjustment. I guess the point is be aware of what’s going on around you, calculate the risk and plan accordingly.

I may add an extra magazine. Usually just have a 7 round pistol with no reload but since engaging a crowd of peaceful protesters trying to pull me from my car or a mob of community organizers trying to kill me in a parking garage is now within the realm of possibility I feel like I want more ammo available.

Although based on what I have seen in videos and in person the packs of sterling examples of humanity are generally the biggest cowards in the world (hence the pack thing) and will scurry like the cockroaches they are at the mere sight of a defensive pistol and won't hang around to allow one to keep making the world a better place.

Back