Are pistol caliber rifles as good for personal defense?

I keep it simple. Pistols are simply easier for me to use to defend the interior of my home and other buildings. I suppose, if it came down to it, a rifle or carbine would be better if I'm getting stormed by multiple armed people. But, if that's the case, then I'm probably screwed anyway.

My father took an angry Black Bear that "invaded" his home in the early 80s with a 357 Mag lever gun. If it will stop a 350LBS black bear it will stop a 180-250 LBS human invader. 2 legged predator's tend to not be as hard (physically) as 4 legged ones.

Yes, just as effective, and in the hands of someone with any sort of disability-muscle tremors, Parkinson's, severe arthritis, etc.-probably more effective. I would recommend lots of dry firing and handling drills, getting completely familiar with its feel,handling it in the dark, etc. Also learn to shoot it without the sights, from the underarm position, e.g.

I’ve done the tests with shotguns, buck shot penetrates all common interior construction materials.

Bird shot, if used on some interior materials will sometimes end up back on your face and eyes and will be counter productive to your endeavors.

Even with eye protection, the bird shot that hits your lips will be painful and distracting.

Any firearm caliber suitable for self defense will penetrate interior construction materials.

Varmint style bullets will maybe break up, but unpredictable.

Best choice is the one you can use most accurately.

If you are worried about shooting through walls, the best avoidance is to hit your target.
I can imagine that that is more difficult under stress.

If the round will work out of a 3-4" barreled pistol for self defense, it will work out of a rifle (or bigger braced pistol) as well or better. As pointed out above, the increased velocity can work for or against you in terms of over penetration, depending on bullet selection.

In fact for many people I think they may work better. With a modern holographic/red dot sight on top it is very easy to teach somebody to get better hits, faster, and at longer ranges than with a traditional hand gun.

OP brought up lever actions and I see no reason they wouldn't work. What would worry me is if I wanted it to be capable inside the house, you have a couple disadvantages; notable protrusion from the body, and necessity to manipulate the action between shots which requires two hands on the rifle (unless you're going to do the Ahnold flip-reload). Understanding these potential constraints, I guess it comes down to personal priorities.

.357 is a good direction to look in this category. Henry also makes a .327/.32 H&R Magnum which might have my attention also if I were looking at a lever action for this purpose.

the age old back and forth over a cartridge or platform being effective vs the dreaded "over penetration". Can't really have the first one, without the possibility of the second. Personally, I am more concerned about stopping a threat, than I am about anything else.

Back