Are people honest about why they have a "rotation" of CCW guns?

I confess that I have an emotional attachment to all my tools that serve a critically important role - usually saving my life. That emotion is generally comfort.

When I'm zipping through metro Denver traffic in my Honda, I am comforted from 7 years of experience that this car will not falter if I take care of it. If I should be in an accident, I trust the safety record of the vehicle.

When I am cutting a difficult piece of material with my Benchmade, I am comforted that the blade won't suddenly snap or bend because I know the quality standards put into these tools.

And with my guns, I am comforted by the fact that I totally refuse to carry anything that won't go bang every single time I pull the trigger. As for rotation? Why that's just a change of flavor, with the same degree of comfort.

Even with basic hand tools. I only buy good quality stuff because I know it won't fly apart on me during a project and take my eye out.

Emotional attachment? Absolutely. I'm not afraid to admit it!

I have two, one for summer, one for winter. Winter is larger, with more ammunition, easy to conceal under winter clothing. Summer is small, less ammo, easier to conceal under a lose t-shirt. Both operate the exact same way, from the same company, and both hit dead on, for me.
The third is my stepfather's revolver, a Smith 10-8 38 special with a 4 inch barrel. I always hit what I aim at with it, and don't feel under gunned, but when I carry that one it is more out of a sense of honoring the fallen. It does get carried, but not nearly as much.

Winter, CZ SP-01 Phantom

CZreallythatgood.jpg

Summer, CZ P-01

gotchacovered.jpg

Oh holy cr*p, Phantom and vz-58 in UTG covert case.

Travelingcompanions.jpg

Yes, I may legally carry that concealed in this state without a permit or license. :cool::D

Last edited:
The question is interesting ... and doubly so because of the vehicle comparison. I own more than one vehicle. I also own more than one carry gun. It's a matter of the right tool for the right job.

For instance, I own a Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. I would never enter it in an autocross race. Nor would I pull my trailer and haul my camper with my Jeep Wrangler. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle in sub-zero temperatures with snow and ice on the street.

I've spent enough time driving each of my vehicles that I'm more than competent with each one - even in high-stress situations.

I think the same principles apply to (a) daily carry weapon(s).

I never felt the need to accessorize my daily wear :) one for winter heavy coat wear, one for spring, fall, summer lite clothes wear. I would hate to find the gun I carry is not the same config as the one I shoot. Fumble for the safety isnt my thing. 1911 for both, same config one is smaller than the other.

C0untZer0
Are people honest about why they have a "rotation" of CCW guns?
<SNIP>
I am trying to think of reasons for having a bunch of carry guns and my own opinion (right now) is that it's basically fun for the person to do it and that's why they do it.

I do it out of necessity and not because I want to have a good time swapping out my weapons. In my mind, one size does not fit all or even come close.

markj, there's a simple two-step solution to avoid "fumbling":

1. Don't carry SD weapons with manual safeties
2. Do carry SD weapons that are identical or similar in configuration so that their operation does not require "recalibration"

With that said, my rotation is largely related to conceal-ability and the seasonal nature of my clothes. I always spend some range time with a gun before I rotate to it.

I only rotate between my 2 carry guns, a Full size 9mm and a subcompact 40. It all depends on mode of clothing, type of weather, and potential purpose.

Same thing if you had more than one vehicle; if you have a motorcycle, a car, and a truck, you would use them accordingly to whatever you need to do. A motorcyle for fun, a car for commute, and a truck for work. kinda the same as guns.

It also helps to rotate your carry guns so your other firearms don't feel neglected! Lol

From a practical standpoint, I can’t see why someone would rotate through a bunch of carry guns. Or I guess I should say - from a practical standpoint I don't see how the advantages of different weapons outweighs the disadvantages of spreading your training among different firearms with different MOA.
I have a rotation of 3 carry primaries along with a BUG that makes perfect sense to me. If it doesn't to somebody else, I don't really care as I'm the only one that matters. My normal primary is a Kimber UCDP in .45 ACP, due to the fact that it is what I shoot best and is ultra comfortable to carry. It is on my side in the concrete jungle the vast majority of the time. My vacation/woods gun is a Glock 29, due to it's greater power, as a bear or cougar is the single most powerful threat I could face, though feral dogs are more of a possibility. My night biking gun is a Glock 26, because I can fire it very well one-handed, thereby still controlling the bike. The BUG is a KT P32 and is ever-present.

markj, there's a simple two-step solution to avoid "fumbling":

1. Don't carry SD weapons with manual safeties
2. Do carry SD weapons that are identical or similar in configuration

I like 1911s carry it cocked and locked ready to rock :) my nephew told me that one he is a marine.

Yes I carry the same gun one is smaller for summer is the only diff. and both fit the same holster a win win.

'Why' vs. 'Why Not'?

My leather IWB works with the STI, Baer, Cmbt Cmdr, and the Cmdr. It isn't too shabby with a BHP and the BHP Practical.

Birami Hip-Grip and J frames are a good combination. Handy for taking out the trash or running off to get a gallon of milk, the Sunday paper, and a loaf of bread, or answering the doorbell.

Kahr, both plastic and metal see occasional time out of doors. Those have pretty much replaced the Colt P-9 as a 'handy' 9 X 19.

When I 'can't' carry, there is the NAA Guardian .32 and BB ammunition. In the fishing tackle box there is a RG 22 Short( EDIT and some CB caps).

These things were aquired over time and were, more or less, suitable for that time in my life. Life changes, but when there was a different itch, it wasn't always necessary to discard the old in favor of the new.

Vocations, avocations, body build (or lack of same), and social circumstances do not always remain stagnant.

Choices are a good thing.

Loosely speaking, all of the above are still in my 'carry rotation'. Kinda depends on which way the wind is blowing.

So, why not?

salty

Last edited:
I like 1911s carry it cocked and locked ready to rock my nephew told me that one he is a marine.

I like 1911's too, but I have a LOT of experience working with a handgun with a manual safety. Based on my own personal experience, I've arrived at the "simpler is better" philosophy. Locked is not "ready to rock".

I do it cause I can! pure ans simple, and on occasion to show off anew piece, so people will "ooohhh and ahhhh" over it.

Simple answer, I was bored today, I haven't carried my S&W 469 in a while, so I decided to carry it rather than My RIA CS. Next week I might be bored again and carry my wife's S&W 60 or an Armscor M206.

As stated by FM12

I do it cause I can!

I believe there's value in achieving practical proficiency with a variety of weapons and a variety of manuals of arms.

That said, yes, in a perfect world, I'd carry the same gun all the time.

But it's not a perfect world, and I'm not willing to do what it takes to dress around my gun in every situation.

When I'm visiting huggy family or friends that don't know to hug me up top, not around my waist, I pocket carry an LCP. When I'm at home, I open carry my Springfield XD or H&K P7. When I have a sufficient covering garment, I carry the XD as my weapon of choice. When I wear a formal jacket, I often carry the P7 OWB.

Different tools for different applications. And yes, some of it is the desire to spend quality time with all my favorite guns.

Locked is not "ready to rock".

You simply touch off the safety while drawing.

Like cowboy shooting, fast draw you cock the hammer while drawing. Same principle. I want a manual safety on my weapon. No glock for me, it isnt my cup o tea. I been shooting since the early 60s. I try other guns, ruger gp100, ruger p95, s&w 5906 like my cousins, all are not for me, I always go back to the 1911 or my hi power if I want 9mm.

Had a tourus pt111 9mm and a pt145 in 45 both had looooong trigger travel. Had a s%w 38 snubby, sold it too.

carry one in chamber safety on is condition 1. Is how I do it, I dont carry an unchambered gun and wont chamber and carry without a safety. Works for me.

You simply touch off the safety while drawing.

I'm quite familiar with the procedure (as in ... thousands of repetitions). I just happen to prefer the simplicity of no manual safety when lead is flying in my direction.

To each their own.

I used to switch through my carry guns a ton... as in, I'd sell one, buy another.

Now I just carry my M&P9c most days and my LCR on my weekend job (Uniform not conducive to belt holster carry) or while running (M&P9c too heavy, bounces too much in a fanny pack).

I figure it's better to have one gun that you get increasingly familiar with than it is to have a different carry gun every year or more. It also helps get rid of the urge to buy new guns... just take the one you've had forever out and shoot it, and sometimes you start to look at it in a new light. All the finish wear on my M&P9c is honestly earned, and I've shot it so much that I know it won't fail me if I need it.

Back