Are Hi-Point Firearms any good, there cheap prices scare me

MustangLife

http://www.mkssupply.com this is there wbesite. But there asking like $200 for a 9mm carbine rifle and like for $150 you could get there 9mm model c-9.

I'm just curious if these are reputable guns. They say the have a lifetime warranty.

Any thoughts about this company

Josh

you have a 50/50 chance of getting a reliable gun from them and even if it's reliable it won't hold up very long. they're made out of zinc alloy. from what i heard their carbines are decent. for handguns you would be better with a surplus pistol like a makarov, which will hold up alot longer and are alot more reliable!

They are colossal pieces of junk. For a few more dollars you can purchase a good used pistol or revolver that will deliver longer and more accurate service than these pieces of crap. Oh, did I mention these are crap?

Also avoid Lorcin and Jennings. It's hard to imagine but they are worse than Hi Point. I would call them crap but that would be an insult to feces everywhere.

These guys are absolutely right. I made the mistake of buying one just to use for plinking. Bad idea. Hard to use for pliking when it jams constantly. Not worth the money at all, even for how inexpensive they are.

The carbines are suppose to ge good (I really don't know). The pistols are a crap shoot though. I have seen some that wouldn't run no matter what you did and I have also seen some that ran flawlessly with all kinds of ammo.

I say you have a good investment if your trying to make a battery, see the Zinc Alloy and lemon juice produce a chemical reaction just like a battery, so all you need to do is put them together in a box and boom you have a $150 dollar battery, thats the only use i see in a Hi-point. :eek:

As you have no doubt already noticed, you are not likely to find many fans of the Hi-Point pistols in this forum. I am no different. Now, to be fair, I have never fired any of their guns. This is because, after handling them (I'm talking about just their pistols here), I have had no desire. They are of cheap manufacture, and balance poorly in my hand. That enormous brick of a slide wallowing around can't be an aid to quick follow-up shots, either. I may be wrong about them but my preliminary assessments seem to be backed up by most who have experience with them. You're better off with a good used gun rather than a bad new one.

As for the carbine, I have no personal experience with it either. Since it seems to be getting a surprising amount of positive feedback, I've not written it off entirely. I wonder, though, if a 10/22 wouldn't be more plinking fun for less money (especially considering the cheaper ammo). And if an SKS wouldn't prove a more reliable weapon for more serious purposes (or more serious plinking), for roughly the same price in standard trim; just a little more if you swap out the original stock for a pistol-grip style.

Having had the thrill of firing a few highpoints I am not a fan

Having had the thrill of firing a few highpoints I am not a fan. That said I have found them to be capable of doing what most of us want in very basic terms. When you squeeze the trigger a bullet comes out. Now for me and most of us on this forum we expect a little more. If you are planning on doing what most Americans do with their weapons ( ie: buy them, shoot them once, then leave it on your closet shelf gathering dust) its a great buy. If you want a little more save a couple of bucks and get yourself something a lot nicer say a P-90.

EricN

there cheap prices scare me

Their looks scare me.

The 9mm carbine seems to have a decent reputation for reliability, but are still overpriced for what you get. I've only handled a few, but never shot one.

I've had the misfortune and displeasure of shooting and dealing with problems on other people's Hi-Point pistols (no, I would never buy one).

If you absolutely needed a gun to save your life and had just a tiny amount of money; maybe.

But I imagine there's no one who posts here who falls into that category and has any reason to purchase the Yugo of handguns. At $150 the HP does not represent 75% of a $200 gun.

Be a big spender. Save up $250 and buy a gun made of something worthy of the name "metal".

I have one, no complaints about the function of it, it's heavy and the trigger pull is not too smooth. It was a gift from the wife so I'm not upset with it. If I was shopping for one I'd save up a few more pesos and find something more to my liking.

Wouldn't buy one myself, but...

Took a report on a stolen C9 recently, the victim bought it at the local Big-R for 99.95 not all that long ago. Perhaps you should shop around.

other than RG revolvers, there is probally not a worse handgun you can buy.
they are made of questionable material and are not relaible with carry ammo.
buy a used revolver or something that is allot better than this pistol. if you want to see who uses these pistols mostly just watch COPS. as someone else said thank goodness they make these cheap crappy pistols because if they werent around criminals might buy better handguns... :barf:

Id have to strongly disagree with the last comment.There are a lot of guns out there that are much worse than a Hi-Point.Try shooting a Jennings 9x19 and expect it to hold up for more than a few mags--aint gonna happen.

Wow. I guess I was right about there prices being to cheap to be good. Thanks for the replies. I guess you pretty much get what you pay for.

Josh

Well, yes and no. You have to know WHY the price is what it is. With a surplus weapon, like a Makarov, you're getting quality for cheap because the source country needs cash. With a gun like a Glock you're paying a premium for popularity.

The Hi-Point is a newly made US weapon, so the savings can't come from differing economies or strength of the dollar. The low price does reflect the materials and manufactoring methods, IN THIS CASE.

There's cheap, and then there are bargains. Don't confuse the two.

i have to say im from the other side of things. i own a hi-point 9mm carbine. now its reliable 2000+ rounds and still fires great. its pretty accurate and if you are looking for a gun to go plinking with its a pretty decent choice. the carbine can handle the +p+ loads just fine.

they have a NO-questions asked full warranty. you just have to pay for the shipping both ways. but hey strap it on to a atv. go mudding for 2 hrs. and if anything happens to the gun dont worry. it fixable

now the pistols are a different story. they are pieces of shiat and ugly to say the least.

if you want a gun for basic plinking and fun and arent going to use for home defense then its fine. for the pistol, you are probably worse off by carrying a hi-point then not carrying at all

Hi-points are a joke. The pistols are total crap and the carbines are junk. I've fired both and figure they aren't fit for anything useful. Go buy a Bulgarian Makarov. Inexpensive and cheap to shoot. Completely reliable.

Back