Are Hi-Cap Mags really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the big debate boys and girls? Practice, practice, practice. If you practice with a 100 round drum or a 5 round fixed magazine, you should be focusing on shot placement and hits. Why get all fired up about this? I personally would rather have a 20 round mag in my M1A since it just leaves me more options. Never being in a firefight, but talking and reading about people who have, having more options seems to be a more desired position.

Pete, no, I wouldn't feel poorly armed with an M1A with a ten round mag. However, since 20 round mags are available, if I were in your situation, as California does not have registration of hicap mags to prove you had them prior to the ban, I would be making frequent trips to gunshows in Arizona and Nevada. Just because I like having the options.

Capacity? The saddest thing for me about the normal capacity mag ban was the fact that Calico would never come out with the alleged 100 round .223 carbine. Now that would have been cool!

I think Clint Smith summed this debate up pretty well: "You don't have a high capacity magazine to shoot more, you have it to manipulate less." (not the exact quote, but as close as I can remember it).

Let's face it, hicap mags haven't really improved anything. The average shootout is still less than 4 rounds.

Ah, such comforting words. Tell them to the guy I know who went thru about 50 rounds trying to ward off three young punks who decided to use him for rifle and shotgun practice. He was caught at night in a lit parking lot; they were hiding in the shadows behind bushes; while backstops were plentiful (all 50 rounds were contained), he had a horrid time trying to identify/guess the location of his attackers. Now try explaining to him that he should not be "allowed" high-cap mags.

Actually, we fall into the anti's trap by calling them high-capacity. I make it a point to refer to them as "standard capacity" (that's what the gun was originally designed to take, after all). Anything less is "restricted capacity".

We have just hit that special milestone with this topic... 100 meg.

As such I have the honor of presenting this tread with the coveted "Locked Thread Award".

See part two for up coming posts

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back