Are bolt action rifles REALLY more accurate than semi-auto ones?

The short and correct answer is yes. BUT not all bolt action rifles are more accurate than semi-auto rifles. A custom bench rest single shot bolt action rifle is probably more accurate than any other rifle. A sniper semi-automatic rifle may be more accurate than some bolt action rifles. Real sniper rifles are probably in excellent condition. Many bolt action rifles still in use may be far below excellent condition.

The simple and correct answer here is "yes" (and why I'm primarily a bolt gun smith- only accurate rifles are interesting, right?).

Which is why (I'm guessing) they've now added a semi class to the Precision Rifle Series. Not that they were ever excluded- but even in a timed competition where speed is as critical as accuracy- I never saw any place in the top tiers.

We're not discussing whether a 4K semi can be more accurate than a $500 factory bolt gun.

Accuracy is all about consistency, perfect concentricity and perpendicularity of all the relative/relevant components from the bolt raceway to the throat.

The tight tolerances that can be achieved- and are desired with a bolt gun- can't happen in an autoloader. It won't run... Bolts are routinely done two thou or less under the ID of a precision reamed bolt raceway (that's about 1/4 the thickness of a human hair clearance around it).

Now, the high-end custom semi's can get close- with precision machining of the components that push the envelope to maximize accuracy, while ensuring the rifle will go "bang" when the trigger is pulled. Reliability in competition is every bit as important as with a CCW (except your life isn't depending on it, natch).

Get any grit/sand or foreign matter in a semi where the tolerances are "too" tight- and it's goodnight. While "fun" to run, I have about zero interest in target shooting with an AK-47. Even the high-end ones, while more accurate than the military versions, are still inaccurate bcg slammin' Kalashnikovs. OTOH, I'd take that AK over a precision bolt gun for a "survival" gun in a heartbeat because I know I can bury it in a sandpit, pull it out, shake it off/beat the sand outta the bore and pull the trigger knowing it will do what is was designed to do...

But when it comes to pure accuracy (at any cost), the bolt gun wins :D

not so much anymore. my most accurate rifle to date, which is to say the only one I've ever had that allows ME to shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards has been a semi auto AR variant. before that, it was a 1903A4 sniper rifle so it really depends how well made it was and how well you know how to use it.

MosinNOUGAT:
I've heard this from many different places. I think it makes no sense, but I was just wondering.

With a focus on the question and only the question and in my opinion only yes, a bolt action rifle will offer up better accuracy than a semi-automatic rifle. That said it is all generalities because we can't very well say all bolt action rifles exceed the accuracy of semi-automatic rifles. Really a broad statement and just to general. I haven't a clue how so many post drifted directly to AR simply because semi-automatic rifles were mentioned.

Ron

If accuracy was the only important characteristic, then semi auto's would never had been developed. Now if you add time, such as shooting rapid fire in NRA across the course, not having to roll around manipulating a bolt, actually leads to smaller, tighter groups. In across the course shooting you have to fire 10 rounds in 60, or 70 seconds, with a reload. Typically gas gunners shoot two rounds, reload with a magazine of eight.

American long range shooting is based on one shot per minute, so the shooter is given 20 minutes to fire 20 shots. Now, change that to 20 shots for record in 90 seconds, or less, and the type of rifle used will change from single shot bolt actions to something that can be fired a lot faster.

I have seen some Norwegian shooting contest videos. What I saw appeared to be shooting against time. The shooters were shooting prone and firing as fast as they could, both bolt guns and gas guns. I assume that they had a fixed period of time to place as many rounds on target as they could, within a fixed time period. Seems to me, an accurate semi auto would be very competitive in that game.

In fact I consider that more realistic for military training. Once the target realizes that they are being shot at, well, don't they run and hide? Therefore assuming someone will stand still for a minute per shot is unrealistic. Getting rounds down range fast seems to me to be more realistic in a war.

Slamfires explanation is the best and it sums up why there are conflicting statements on this topic.

It depends on what you are doing and how accuracy is measured. Long range benchrest shooters shoot 10 shots for record in 10 min. Which is an eternity, but the competition isn't designed to make time a factor for the competitors. But, groups are measured in the 1/100ths of an inch. A 1/4 moa group wouldn't even be competitive in BR shooting. A good BR gun will hold 1/8 moa or better consistently, always, every single time, no fliers. A smei automatic, match grade won't do that.

Also, most of these guys who say "well my AR shoots cloverleaf groups at 100yards" either arnt shooting over a chronograph, or haven't shot long range. Because you can shoot clover leaf groups with a 40 fps spread in velocity and it won't be until 300 yards or more that it makes a difference.

I have a 20" Varmint upper, 1/8 twist. It holds 1/2 moa at 100 yards and 1.5 moa at 600 yards.

My F-CLASS rifle holds 1/8 moa with an extreme spread of 5fps....The best extreme spread I got from my AR was 12 fps and that was with the glass turned off.

But like slamfire said, if I were shooting for accuracy AND against the clock, I would use my AR-10 or Varmint 556 because even if I had the option, I wouldn't want to try and work the bolt and try and get back into position.

But, in absolute accuracy, look at what the bench rest leaders are shooting, because they are shooting the most accurate rifles.

Back