Are all used 25 autos troublesome?

.25 Auto problematic? Not at all. I have a little Baby Browning by Bernardelli...bought used of course. It has never ftf’d while I have had owned it. I feed it the standard 50 hrs. fMJs.

I have a 1908 vest pocket colt made in 1921. I've shot it with several kinds of ammo, including some old western super x ammo my dad had since the 1960's. Never a hickup. It's a hard gun to grip and shoot. I tend to squeeze with my whole hand until it fires.

darkgael-
Your Bernardelli is actually an improved copy of the Walther model 9, rather than the Browning. They are very fine little guns.

My limited experience with several 25 autos is they are reliable when kept clean and properly lubed. Seecamp, Beretta jetfire 950BS, even a Gabilondo y Cia Eibar Ruby type.

I was kind of afraid to fire the Ruby because the rifling is severely pitted, but it was accurate and had almost no kick at all. :)

My Ortgies 25 has been pretty good. I think it will 100 percent once I replace the mag spring. I love shooting 25acp, but it's not my first choice for CCW.

I had a CZ45 which worked fine
o.png

micromontenegro You are limpwristing. 25s are like that. Hold it like you want to break it, and a Browning Baby is the most reliable pistol ever, LOL.
I have never gripped any pistol like that, much less any of my Baby Browning's…...and they are perfectly reliable.

In fact, I've held a Baby between thumb and index finger and fired it.

I have a Beretta 950B "Jetfire" that has been totally reliable so long as I use factory Beretta magazines. The only time I've had trouble was when I tried to use Mec-Gar magazines (which I've had very good luck with in other pistols). With factory mags, I've never had a malfunction with Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, S&B, or Prvi Partizan ammo though admittedly all of that has been 50gr FMJ (I think hollowpoints are kind of silly in .25 Auto).

I do, however, frequently get a bit of hammer bite from the little Beretta. Not enough to draw blood but enough that any more than 50 rounds in a sitting gets a bit uncomfortable and leaves a red patch on the web of my hand.

I agree with others here that the OP's most likely issue is a disagreement between the shape of his hands and the miniscule grip of most .25's. Though not a .25, I've seen this issue myself with my father and a Walther PPK/s. While we both have large hands, mine are shaped differently than my dad's as I have narrower palms and longer fingers than he does. The particular PPK/s that he had would shift around in his hand and cause malfunctions unless he repositioned his grip with every shot, certainly not a good thing for a defensive pistol. I, however, could take the same gun with the same mags and ammo and do rapid mag dumps with no issues. After trying several different types of ammo and grips, Dad finally gave up and traded it off for a Ruger LCR.

I enjoy my many .25 ACP's. They all function fine, but then I don't shoot hollowpoints as I have other guns for self defense.
If my gunsmith said he wouldn't work on a .25 ACP I'd wonder if he is one of the many such who "specializes" because they aren't real competent gunsmiths.
When I taught flying I had students like that, they didn't want to stall because that was "Scary", they didn't want to do steep turns for the same reason. I told them, if you are afraid of something make sure to do much more of that until you get past it.

The same goes for anything we want to be good at. Anyone who only does what they like to do is a hobbyist, but a professional tries to be good at everything.

target

I shot this magazine full on Tuesday. At 3 yards...about as far as I would want to be with a .25. Gun was my little Bernardelli VP

Attachments

• 25 ACP target 3 yards.jpg
    25 ACP target 3 yards.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 26
I have a Astra Firecat made in 1963. Never have problems but as has been said hard ball ammo is the way to go. Also it’s easy for big hands to rub against the slide which will cause problems.

Most .25s I've had trouble with were the Zamak or pot metal guns. Dinged up mags don't help either.

Last edited:
Back