Are all used 25 autos troublesome?

My Beretta 950 was also reliable. I still have it but haven't shot it in many years. The small .380s took its place in my carry selection.

Of course your Jennings was bad- they are junk guns made out of die-cast zinc.
In no way does a Jennings compare to a Beretta 950 or Baby Browning.
Don't confuse the junk gun with the cartridge.

My 50 yr old LaFury,,,, I think Italian made,,,,,by who,,, I don’t know...works just fine ,,,,I shoot it at least once a week,,,

Alright, so it’s German made, by Reck, and last import was prior 1968, so mine must be older than 50 yrs.

Described as. “Not expected German quality”

Try some Fiocchi .25 ACP ammunition. I collect older mouse guns and actually shoot them. Some US ammunition is less energetic and a lot of .25 are older designs for more powerful ammunition.

I have caused some .25 ACPs to jam by using too heavy an oil or grease on some parts.

Baby Browning are sensitive to bad magazines.

I have both a colt and a Beretta 950 in 25acp and both shoot great. That said my buddy can't shoot either one more then one or two rounds before jamming them.

I had a PSP (pre PSA) Baby clone that was flawless, but I traded it off when I started carrying an LCP. After awhile, I missed the little gun, so I picked up a Bauer .25. The previous owner sold it below market, admitting that it jammed constantly. I took it apart, cleaned it and bought a new magazine. Works fine now.

Small low powered blow back pistols in large hands are prone to malfunctions. Hard to grip a small pistol with large hands, and low powered rounds need the tight grip for the blow back action to work.

Still have a 380 ppk that was stone cold reliable with everything i fed it. Let a large handed person try it at range, and it would not function. He gave it back, and it worked perfectly for me with the same rounds.

About the original dilemma, even though it was different guns, I still think the problem was likely to be the magazines or a worn magazine latch. The original poster didn't say if the magazine swaps were with other used magazines or with factory new ones. I would get some brand new magazines and try them. However, I don't know who makes new magazines for the brownings or colts other than triple k, and my experience with triple K's has been about the same as with pro-mags: not too good.

As for reliability, my beretta 21A, has never failed to feed, fire, and eject right out of the box. (It does fail to extract, but that's because there's no extractor.) I've always had to hold it tightly because the recoil is surprisingly snappy. My hand stings after two or three magazines worth.

Large hands and tiny guns don't always mix well.

The thumb can, unbeknownst to the shooter, ride the slide and inhibit it's movement and ability to function. The flesh around the index finger can slow the slide. Etc.

The release of the magazine can also be impeded by large hands.

Someone else said, it's not always the gun. Often it's the shooter.

tipoc

Thereewas a hot ammo at one point that solved that.

Try CLP on the slide. I had to semi auto pistol that allowed it to work right and a shotgun that should have but would not cycle no magnum shells.

Well you never know when you will be attacked by junk yard car doors. But I would just shoot through the window. But I'm weird.

I have a Beretta 950 BS and it has never failed in any way. There is an internet report about a 25 used in a shooting and the attacker was shot through the eye and the round went through the skull and into or through a door behind IIRC.

A man we used to buy gas from on credit way back in the early 1970's had a robber come in his store and reach over the counter and grab the cash box. The owner saw him through a one way glass and came out with a 25 auto and ordered him on the floor.

The robber set the box down but came up with a knife and charged the owner. The owner emptied the .25 into the robber who made it across the small room and died at his feet. After he was No Billed the owner bought a 357 mag.

The shooting ruined his gas station. A year later he opened a used car lot a couple of miles down the road. He used the 357 twice more on robbers and then retired. He has long ago gone to his reward. But the .25 auto, good or bad saved his life. It did just what it was designed to do.

Back