Are all Mossberg 500s "clunky"?

Mossberg 500 slide action has considerable play as compared with Remington 870, however it is par for the course with 500s.

That is by design. The 500/590 series has an aluminum receiver however the action bars are steel. Unlike an 870, in which the action bars are rigidly mounted to the action tube, the 500/590 has action bars that are "sprung." Refer to the photos:

They are like this because of the dissimilar materials, steel vs aluminum. It prevents the steel action bars from cutting into the aluminum alloy receiver when the typical, over exuberant, shooter twists and torques the forend during the operation cycle.

Interestingly enough, the Mossberg 500/590 series is, essentially, a product improved version of the Remington Model 31, which preceded the 870 as Remington's pump shotgun. The 870 came into being due to the rising cost of the machining associated with the Model 31 and to take advantage of newer materials and construction processes, such as the cast trigger plate and stampings in it. It also allowed Remington to essentially seize the pump shotgun market from Winchester who'd dominated with it's Model 12 for 30+ years based on the perceived quality and feel of the 870 at a lower price point than the expensive(to manufacture), all machined Model 12.

But that's enough of that.....

And before someone claims I'm a fanboy, I own two 870s, and have owned many others, one of which I carry every day at work. I also own a number of 500/590 variants. And a Model 31 riot gun from Kansas City PD from the 40s/50s.

Wanna talk clunky?

http://www.iacshotguns.com/982pump.html

Got one of these as a first shotgun just to try out the platform, but I'll be darned if it doesn't work.

Sounds like a geo prism with a broken camshaft when it racks and the welds joining the action bars to the forend look like chewing gum.

Goes bang though, and nothing has broken yet.

Well guys, here's the gunsmith's take:I fix guns as well as build custom guns it's how I earn most of my living and how I have earned most of my living for most of my life.
I will be 61 in a few weeks.

I have had to repair more 870s than any other pump shotgun in my life.
Now does that prove it's not a good gun?

NO!

One thing that is in play with this fact is that the 870 outnumbers every other pump shotgun. They probably outnumbers 4-5 other competitors combined.
So it had a greater chance of needed repair just because it's the gun that gets the most use.

But the other side of the coin is the argument that it is NOT unfailing. That is clearly not the case.

I have had to repair about 15 Mossberg 500s in the last 30 years. One had a defective shell latch that came undersized from the factory. 6 had broken safety buttons (I think they should not use plastic from them, and the after market metal ones are a worthwhile up-grade) The rest all had the same problem, with the spot welds coming loose that connect the pump slide to the action bar mount. Easy to fix by braising.

In comparison, I fixed five 870s in 2016 alone. Most years I fix 3-4.

With all that said, the one pump shotgun that in my humble opinion is the best of all is the Ithica 37.
Why?
I started gunsmithing when I was 12 years old. I did it as a passionate hobby for some years, and for most of the years between 12 and 61 (49 years) I have done it as a full time business, except for some years I was in the military.

Guess how many mechanical issues I have had to repair on M37s. (I mean other than broken wood.)
ZERO. NOT ONE. NONE! Not EVER!

So as a gunsmith, I have to rate it as the best of them all.

I used to own one, and I wish I had never sold it.
I do own a Mossberg and I like it fine and my wife owns a 20 ga M500 also.
We have never had a problem with either, so I am not in grief over the now-gone M37.
But I sure wish I still had it

Last edited:
Wyosmith,
That was a great read. Thanks for posting that. What was/is the most common repair that 870's require? Possibly the ejector? Thanks.

Mostly shell latches and action arms. Nearly always related to timing issues that allow the shell to drop on the lifter too early.

Extractors and ejectors seem to be fine.
I have never needed to replace one on an 870

Also have seen 2 where the trigger/disconnector were malfunctioning. Easy to fix, but hard to get Remington to sell parts anymore.

With all that said, the one pump shotgun that in my humble opinion is the best of all is the Ithica 37.

True...

E4EFF032-064B-4542-A2B2-2B83454C9075_zpsgkvnsu6s.jpg

In regards to Mossberg verses Remington... prefer Remington. Had both, and recently sold my 500 JIC2. It was a nice gun, but bought it for a compact shotgun... so didn't mind how crappy the action felt. Got a KSG (mainly for fun, as was the 500's purpose), so decided it could go... as I really didn't have a need for a pistol grip shotgun.

I've shot Remington shotguns for years. Hunted with 11-87s, but my predominate defensive shotgun is my 870 Police. I prefer the controls, and do like the way you can empty the chamber without sending a round out of the tube (works of the Ithaca the same way, which is why that above pictured gun is my backup to my Remington). While the Mossberg safety is nice for lefties, I can manipulate the Remington safety a lot faster than the Mossberg.

With designs, I love the Ithaca. Mine was a Ducks Unlimited Guide Gun (actually an 87), which I picked up to use the stock for my father's identical shotgun. His had a crack in the wrist, so I swapped the wood. Stripped both shotguns when I did that to make sure they were cleaned... and I did hold the stripped receiver by itself. Reminded me of a stripped Garand receiver... something built to last, when quality was a big deal to manufacturers. I do like the bottom eject, and I sort of sided with the KSG, since it uses a design heavily influenced by the Ithaca 37.

When push comes to shove all these shotguns will work for you. Hell, my IAC 97 or Century PW87 will work if I needed to use them. Mossberg or Remington... really comes down to personal preference. Glock or M&P, 9mm or .40, paper or plastic, insert any other debate.

Screwball you have to get a post war Ithaca, the stocks are different and the receiver is a little shorter, 2 3/4 inch actions.
They handle very well coming up very smoothly and point as a gun should.

Screwball you have to get a post war Ithaca, the stocks are different and the receiver is a little shorter, 2 3/4 inch actions.

It is a post war... 1990. [emoji41]

In regards to 2.75" guns, I prefer 3" capable shotguns when I can get them. But it really came down to the Ducks Unlimited is a 3" model... so what I had to work with.

Stock was from Boyds, barrel was shortened/threaded for Remington choked by Rose Action Sports (also did the new beads), and Robar did the NP3 Plus.

Post war 1946 to 1965

Ok... I'm sure they are good, but that Ithaca is perfect for me. Removable barrels are worth that to me, just for ease of cleaning. And that really is what matters.

It was a gun that I used as a donor for the stock. Not one that I sought out. I don't plan on buying another... especially one

That's a NICE '37.

I plan on re-stocking my Model 37. Were you happy with the Boyd's stock?

Thanks.

Very happy. Gives you the option to do custom work, specific woods, etc. Beautiful work, just needed to be fitted.

Back