Are all Mossberg 500s "clunky"?

The 870's have a lot of stamped parts, BUT Remington has better quality control and parts are kept closer to design spec's. , so parts fit better and tha actions operate smoother.

Also aluminum is not the best bearing material in the world!

Too much navel-gazing.

The 870 has a stamped receiver, as well as a bunch of other parts. Now that I think about the Mossberg probably has less stamped parts.

I own both, and either works. I won a ton of side matches with a borrowed 870, but I'd have probably won if I'd have remembered to bring my 500 to the match.

Seen on another discussion: "What that shotgun needs are some wear marks".

I sure would like to know how Remington put all those machining marks inside of my TB trap 870?

And yes the trigger group is a high quality die casting, finished very nicely.

A Mossberg 500 aluminum receiver is of some unknown alloy with a trigger group made of plastic!:eek:

The safety is on top of the receiver, if it falls off the gun will not fire, some have lost game due to that ergo correct safety.

Yes the 500's work, but the Remington's and other gun makes and models work so much better.

If you are shooting trap it is still one shot at a time, so your pump gun is used as a single!

And how many times have you had a 500 safety screw fall out? My dad has one almost 40 years old and the safety never fell off. I have one 20 years old and the safety never fell off. And I have one 4 years old and the safety never fell off.

I replaced the 20 year olds safety with an aluminum claw style safety for shooting with gloves on. The screw was still a trick to remove. Sure enough I loctited it back in but unless you're prying on and break your safety off it's a fluke for the screw to back out.

So, with no personal experience, you regurgitate a "he said she said".
My Mossberg 500 has been in my possession for 20 years, and it was very well used (abused) security company riot gun when I bought it, for $75.
It is old enough that it has a metal safety.
Never an issue.
The only issue I've ever had with my 500 is the ejector screw loosening, which caused failure to eject. So, after 20 years of use, I put a drop of loktite on it and tightened it down. Problem solved.
Of course, if the 870 needs a new ejector, you are likely going to the gunsmith, or shipping it to Remington.

I have and shoot both. Two 500's, one in 12ga, the other is a 20ga. Both field guns. Also have a 1975 Wingmaster 20ga. Funny, all three dust clays, drop upland birds and none seem to be falling apart. Imagine that! Just take a little care of them, they'll last forever. Pump SG's are like tanks. They withstand.

jaguarxk120 I've got three Mossy's and two of them are over 20 yo and have a lot of hard use. Nothing has broken on them yet, and the 835 has seen a lot of 3 1/2" shells in its life. Your barbers, uncles, wifes, hairdressers, info. is worth what you paid for it.

And I also have two Fabarms and a F.A.I.R. in my safe. They are certainly nicer guns but don't drop the birds and better.

When did Remington start making "stamped" receivers? I'd like to see evidence that the any of my five 12 ga. 870's have a "stamped" receiver.

I to would like to know by what process Remington use's to stamp out those 870 receivers. Might as well add the 1100 model to.

By the way Ithaca receivers start out as a 11 pound block of alloy steel and when they come out of the CNC machining center they are almost completely
finished.

The first really nice shotgun I ever had was a Mossberg 500. Back in 1968? I've had several since then and haven't a complaint about any of them. I'd say this, the stock and fore end definitely fill my hand better than the 870. I've only had one 870 and while a good gun, just didn't feel right in my hands, gave it to my son. Back in those days all I shot pretty much were pumps. I've still got a pump today. Old Ithica mod 37, corn cob forend, in 16ga. Never shoot it but won't get rig of it either. Actually is I went back to pump's today I'd probably get a Mossberg 500.

I sure would like to know how Remington put all those machining marks inside of my TB trap 870?

And yes the trigger group is a high quality die casting, finished very nicely.

A Mossberg 500 aluminum receiver is of some unknown alloy with a trigger group made of plastic!

The safety is on top of the receiver, if it falls off the gun will not fire, some have lost game due to that ergo correct safety.

Yes the 500's work, but the Remington's and other gun makes and models work so much better.

If you are shooting trap it is still one shot at a time, so your pump gun is used as a single!

Lol. Unknown alloy? It's aluminum alloy. However the lockup is all steel so what's the issue again? The nylon trigger group has not been problematic, but if it bothers, the 590A1's is made from aluminum alloy.

If concerned, the safety button screw can be blue or red loctited in. Non-issue.

You can keep your Remmies. My pump shotguns are for fighting. I don't need a Freedom Group cheapened bird gun poseur in that role.

From the archaic crossbolt safety, to the shell lifter that's always in the way, to the PITA process to extend the mag capacity, to it requiring a gunsmith for what are end user repairs for Mossberg owners, Remington's are by far the worse shotgun.

Remington is by far the worst shotgun? I like my Mossberg and all but I would be surprised if anyone buys into that claim. The member you quoted admitted to not having any first hand experience with the Mossberg and that he was just parroting what he has heard about it.
I am going to assume that you have some experience with the Remington and aren't doing the same thing as the person you quoted. The cross bolt safety? I like the Mossbergs better but ultimately it's not a big deal. Shell lifter? Yep, the Remington's does get in the way but it doesn't make it a bad choice. Gunsmith? I'm still waiting to see that guy after 17 years of pretty hard use on my 870.
Like I have said, their both really gun guns and do what they are suppose to and I am glad I don't have to choose one over the other.

Last edited:
I'm left handed with big mitts and my sons are right handed with nearly as big mitts, so you couldn't give any of us a free "modern" 870.

We all hate the loading port obstruction called a shell lifter on the 870.

If anyone thinks an 870 Express is better quality than a 500 they are crazy. I don't have a dog in this hunt, don't care for pumps. I've sold a ton of both and the only difference I've seen is an Exprees will develop rust much quicker but it doesn't affect function. The Wingmaster is a whole different ballgame, apples to oranges.

Yes

Mossberg 500 slide action has considerable play as compared with Remington 870, however it is par for the course with 500s.

I've never touched a Mossberg and will not criticize them. I have had Remington 870 shotguns for nearly 50 years, and currently own five of them. They are RELIABLE, accurate, easy to shoot and easy to operate. My 870 with a rifled barrel and good scope let me take a 10 point Iowa buck running and quartering away at 125 yards. I enjoyed many years of very successful waterfowl hunting with an 870. I trust my 870 Home Defense laying under my bed to save my wife and myself. I have owned much nicer double barrel and over/under shotguns but I have never compared them to an 870 simply because they are not practically comparable.

Back