Appendix carry?

I use a Raven Concealment Vanguard often. It would not be the holster I would choose for class because of the need to reholster repeatedly. In class, I would use the Fricke Archangel for exactly this reason.

However, in twenty years of concealed EDC, I have never once had to reholster my weapon outside of my closet, never mind do so one handed. If I make the decision to reholster, it will be because I have become convinced that there is no longer a threat, and I will reholster reluctantly.

I'm not going to make decisions about how I EDC based upon the most unlikely scenarios, including one handed reholstering. That's just not a factor for me. I'm going to make these decisions to maximize my utility for the purpose to which the gun would be put. For that reason, I want a safe carry method that is comfortable, provides good concealment and retention, and allows fast access with either hand. The Vanguard accomplishes this, for me.

I carry an XD9sc IWB at about 1:30-2:00. It's not the most comfortable but it's really the only spot I can find on my belt that I feel adequately concealed. Anywhere else and my shirts tend to hang up on the gun and print like crazy.

I use a Raven Concealment Vanguard often. It would not be the holster I would choose for class because of the need to reholster repeatedly. In class, I would use the Fricke Archangel for exactly this reason.

However, in twenty years of concealed EDC, I have never once had to reholster my weapon outside of my closet, never mind do so one handed. If I make the decision to reholster, it will be because I have become convinced that there is no longer a threat, and I will reholster reluctantly.

I'm not going to make decisions about how I EDC based upon the most unlikely scenarios, including one handed reholstering. That's just not a factor for me. I'm going to make these decisions to maximize my utility for the purpose to which the gun would be put. For that reason, I want a safe carry method that is comfortable, provides good concealment and retention, and allows fast access with either hand. The Vanguard accomplishes this, for me.

The issue isn't during everyday carry. I think it comes into play during training or general range time. I think people become less careful as the repetitions increase and they become fatigued.

The Zack is not sufficient. There is no reason to compromise.

What is insufficient or a compromise?

It is not a range or a training holster, nor is it a holster for a beginner. It is a carry option that allows for safe carry without adding any bulk inside your waist. It is not a holster for every season or reason. I use a OWB strong side belt holster when I work, I use the Zach in the summer. I see no compromise only solutions.

The reason there are so many carry options is because not every option is for every day or every person. With a Zach I can safely conceal a G31 in jeans and T shirt.

My favorite carry package is my J-frame (S&W 638) AIWB at 10:30 (lefty). I had this reverse canted, low riding leather holster with tuckable clip custom made to my specifications by James Dean Gunleather. I asked for the rounded edge so there would be no corners that might make for discomfort. It is made of finest Herman Oak leather and hand stitched. James also does the smoothest, best finished edges I have seen. Isn't it a beauty? :D

MyAIWBHolsterCompleted.jpg

(That's not my gun in the holster.)

The low ride and reverse cant make the grip lay down horizontally on top of my belt, where it hides underneath my middle-aged belly that expands above it, making for no printing under a loose shirt. The reverse cant also does 2 other things: it moves the muzzle over toward the center enough that it doesn't jam against the top of my thigh when I am seated, and it presents the gun at an angle that favors the natural backward direction of the draw from that position.

Other advantages? The accessibility of the gun for quick deployment is ideal. The weak hand can pull the shirt out of the way when drawing. This is not the case when carrying on or behind the hip. The draw is less attention getting because the elbow doesn't go way up and back like when drawing from the hip. Reholstering is easier because you can see what you are doing and the weak hand can help if needed.

And, the super duper advantage, IMO? Drawing the gun is just as easy when seated as when standing! Being a lefty, it even works when I am buckled into the driver's seat of my car. (Sorry, this won't work for righties because of the shoulder strap. You have to ride shotgun for it to work for you. :))

Thanks Nanuk. I enjoyed applying my engineering and design talent to that holster design. I think James could sell a s**t load of them on the S&W, Taurus and other revolver forums. After all, how many J-frame owners with middle-aged spreads are there in America? LOL!

That said, I find that the J-frame works better than even tiny semi-autos in the front pocket. It is because of the shape of the gun and the grip. It rides comfortably in a proper pocket holster and is much easier to draw. And the J-frame works really great in the AIWB position for some of the same reasons. The frame is just 1/2" wide and the barrel is a little thinner than that. In contrast, all semi-autos have a slide that is 3/4" wide on tiny 380s and almost 1" wide on pocket 9s. That width stays the same from the muzzle all the way to the very back of the gun, and the frame is at least as wide. On a revolver, the back of the frame angles down toward the grip, whereas on a semi-autos the back of the slide extends strait back much further. So, the semi-auto is actually a much bulkier gun both below and above the waistline. Look at this comparison...

2328606IMG0124.jpg

And, LOL, check this out. I bought a very inexpensive pocket holster for my J-frame: the Stays-Put Ultra. Just $14.95 shipped. And as the name implies, it stays put in my pocket when I draw the gun better than any pocket holster I have ever seen (and I've seen a lot). But... it also works outstandingly in the AIWB position and stays put there all day long. More comfortable than the leather holster. So comfortable that I forget the gun is there. Effortless to insert or remove. Effortless to draw because the inside of the holster is smooth nylon, yet the gun stays in the holster because my belly expanding above it keeps it in there. It is even effortless to reholster the gun because there is a tiny little strip of flexible plastic that keeps the holster open just enough to insert that small diameter barrel. This has become my favorite carry package! :)

Look at where the gun is pointed when sitting using that carry location. Lots of important (to most of us anyways) stuff AND the femoral arteries. If I'm going to shoot myself, I'd rather shoot myself in the butt cheek than the ,well you know. A pistol carried behind or on the hipbone is less likely to cause a life threatening unjury in case of an ND.
My Son showed me a set of internet pics of the results of a poor/wornout IWB holster design and a Glock. Fortunately, it was behind the hip and the guy only had some vehicle damage and a scrape on his butt. Had it been in front of the hipbone(appendix carry), it's a good chance the guy would have had serious injuries or worse.

^ this.

And appendix or "Mexican" carry has never been comfortable or ideal to me. It always gets in the way esp when sitting.

Look at where the gun is pointed when sitting using that carry location. Lots of important (to most of us anyways) stuff AND the femoral arteries. If I'm going to shoot myself, I'd rather shoot myself in the butt cheek than the ,well you know. A pistol carried behind or on the hipbone is less likely to cause a life threatening unjury in case of an ND.
My Son showed me a set of internet pics of the results of a poor/wornout IWB holster design and a Glock. Fortunately, it was behind the hip and the guy only had some vehicle damage and a scrape on his butt. Had it been in front of the hipbone(appendix carry), it's a good chance the guy would have had serious injuries or worse.

^ this.

And appendix or "Mexican" carry has never been comfortable or ideal to me. It always gets in the way esp when sitting.

First of all, we are talking about appendix carry here. "Mexican" carry is not the same thing. Same location, but "Mexican" carry is done without a holster.

I don't understand why it gets in the way esp when sitting. Unless you are talking about carrying a large pistol, which I agree could get in the way. I only do it with small guns. And as I explained in a previous post, with the package positoned and canted properly it is 100% comfortable when sitting and, oh, so easy to draw.....Oh, I am carrying my J-frame right now at 10:30. I had to push my belly in a bit to see it because I couldn't feel it. :D

Second, I don't care where you carry your gun, your handling skills should be refined enough that a negligent discharge is not a possibility. We are talking about concealed carry here. Not an old West style shootout where the quickest draw wins. My hands are crippled - paralyzed a substantial amount. So a super quick draw is not even a possibility for me. I use situational awareness to try and give myself enough time to get my gun in action. If someone catches me totally by surprise, I probably wouldn't have had time to draw anyway. See ya on the other side. I put rubber grip surfaces on all of my guns to aid in controlling them. When drawing a gun from any position, I don't try to get a complete firing grip while still drawing the gun and my trigger finger goes nowhere near the trigger. I get the gun drawn and pointed away from me, then I use my weak hand to assist in getting the gun positioned properly in my strong hand. I point at the target and THEN insert my finger in front of the trigger. And I don't try to stage the trigger, either. When reholstering, I do so slowly with my trigger finger gripping the gun below the trigger guard. The only guns I carry AIWB are my J-frame and my Taurus 738 TCP, and both guns have a long double action trigger pull. I don't do "Mexican" carry, I use holsters that keep the trigger covered. So I don't worry about my jewels or my femoral arteries when carrying a gun AIWB.

The largest gun I feel comfortable carrying AIWB is my Glock 27 with the grip enhancer. I carry all the time hiking and working outdoors. If I was going to be sitting for hours without moving it may get uncomfortable. With a proper holster and belt it is quite secure. My J frame is slightly more concealable, but comfort is about the same.

It is not for everyone.I guess that is why we all have a box (or 2) full of holsters.

Jfootin; That is where we differ, I on the other hand try to obtain a firing grip before I draw, but, that is my training. I also keep my finger off the trigger until the gun is up, that is training as well.

I have yet to find a pocket holster that doesn't come out of my pocket with the gun. All I have bought advertise that the gun comes out easily, but I find it comes out easily only when taken out of the pocket and pulled off with the weak hand.

Where am I going wrong? :o

"Mexican carry"

Jfootin:
I remember some old-timers on the YPD who used to wrap a rubber band or two around the wood grips of their 2" snub-nose revolvers and then stick the gun in their waist-band. The rubber bands were supposed to catch on the trouser waist-band and prevent the firearm from slipping down. A cheap carry for certain, and one I would not try.

JimPage,

You're probably buying expensive holsters for your pocket. Pocket holsters are weird: as far as I can tell, the more expensive they are, the less likely they are to work well.

Take a look at the DeSantis Superfly.

pax

I've tried both and the Stays-Put Ultra is thinner and doesn't print like the Desantis. And like the name says, it stays put.

Back