Appendix carry?

The topic of ND aside, I absolutely find it uncomfortable to appendix carry. Standing up it's fine but sitting down (to drive) or bending over the feeling of the gun jabbing into me is not one I like. Much more comfortable for me to IWB carry at 4 o'clock.

Just personal preference. I have a friend who carries a full size Sig appendix carry, I seriously don't know how he does it.

I started off carrying a Glock 23 at about 1 o'clock in a cheap nylon holster... it was no way to carry a gun. I swore off appendix carry for a long time.

I started making holsters a while ago (shameless plug) and now make this style specifically for AIWB.

It's a thin bullhide that conceals well, is about as comfortable as you can expect for appendix CCW, and with the 2 belt loops, the holster and gun stay where you intend... no uncomfortable shifting or adjusting.

Just thought I'd share ;)

527087_447000022007645_805362146_n.jpg

530128_448778811829766_1203661625_n.jpg

487719_448778845163096_1158316439_n.jpg

Part of the concern is in re-holstering. Never put your gun in the holster in a hurry. I carry a Glock 27 and a S&W 640 AIWB all the time. Part of it is gear, part is your build. If you have a big belly it likely will be uncomfortable.

Thinking about carrying appendix, just wondering if anyone has experience with this please share. How safe is it? is it comfortable?

How safe is it? Well, where is the muzzle pointing? What would happen if you had a ND while holstering?

I won't do it but if I did, I would not use a pistol with no safety lever like a Glock, M&P etc. It isn't really about the trigger finger but more the chance of some other foreign object entering the trigger guard such as a piece of clothing or collapsed holster.

The whole set-up does not pass my risk VS reward test.

In a broader sense, I can see no reason to speed holster any pistol.

I tried my Glock 26 a few times, hurts too much. Pushes into my areas. I like it around 3-4 o clock. Bug ankle, this way barrels are out of the way of important body parts.

Very often, with a J-frame or SP-101. With my semi autos - OWB at 7-9 o'clock (lefty here).

Besides the fact that it's always a revolver that I'm carrying appendix, I'm not reholstering under duress so it's really a non-issue to me. If I have to draw in self-defense the last thing I'm worried about is a re-holster.

Question: it's standard practice to treat every gun as if it were loaded, to never point it at anything you aren't prepared to destroy.

Would any of you place your hand in front of the barrel? How about pointing a loaded handgun at your stomach, chest, face...?

heck no! That would be nuts and unsafe!

Yet, you carry your gun pointed directly at your d*ck, or lower abdomen when you sit down?

Interesting how that thought process works. So for those who are comfortable with that, would you then be comfortable pointing the same gun you carry appendix style AT your face, or chest, or stomach? After all, what's the difference?

That would be nuts and unsafe!

I see your point but jeepers creepers... The number of government agents who carry in horizontal shoulder rigs must number in the thousands. Their guns are pointing in the direction of many people who happen to be behind them throughout every workday. How do you feel about that?

Question: it's standard practice to treat every gun as if it were loaded, to never point it at anything you aren't prepared to destroy.

All of my guns are loaded. With the proper holster the gun is totally safe. Think about it, if you CCW your gun is pointed all over randomly, depending on your carry mode and what you are doing. AIWB is very comfortable, secure and concealable with the right gear. It also offers a quicker draw if needed. Like anything else it takes competence and practice.

The muzzle still points at your body when carrying a pistol strong side IWB. You will sweep your hip and/or leg when you draw. You will also point the gun at yourself with appendix carry. You can die either way, so care must be taken regardless of method used.

Appendix carry is a great way to carry. However, there are a few considerations:

1) Holster reluctantly. Obviously, you can shoot yourself regardless of method. Remember Tex Grubner? He shot himself drawing from a strongside holster because he was tired. You must be careful at all times, regardless of circumstance. If you feel that you are impaired in some way, remove the holster, insert the gun into the holster while keeping it pointed in a safe direction, and reattach the holster to your belt.

2) Your body will dictate the size of the gun you can comfortably carry in the appendix position. Consider the overall height and length of the gun. A long barrel will put pressure on your thigh that will become very uncomfortable after a few hours. A gun with a long grip may be difficult to conceal without loose clothing.

3) You will need to determine the specific attributes of a holster that work for you. I like a very narrow holster with a loop that is not attached to the widest part of the holster.

4) Always carry your gun in a holster that fully covers the trigger. The "clips" are a great way to "Plaxico" yourself.

Last edited:
Ah yes, Plaxico....genius!

Good responses, was just playing DA and looking for some other opinions. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Back