Apparently Cabelas thinks its illegal for me to feed my rifle.....

provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle.
The ATF sent out word last week that they're doing sting operations on dealers to curtail the sale of handgun ammunition to minors. Apparently, somebody raised a stink somewhere.

Official word is that, if a person under 21 specifically says they're buying ammunition for a rifle, it's OK to sell.

Many dealers have a policy of staring at someone under 21 and saying, "it's for a rifle, right?" If the person assents, it's considered copacetic. It's an old industry practice, and folks get a few chuckles out of it.

However, now the ATF says dealers aren't to do that. Given that there are stings going on in conjunction with this, it could be that some dealers are playing it close to the vest.

Call their corporate office, be civilized, and find out if they may have just misread the situation.

I agree with Al. It will work if you do that with full follow thru(not half-#%$). Otherwise just ride it out, but the manager will lose if you push it the right way. There is no reason to be intimidated by this guy; he should be doing his job. You bought the rifle from there.

When turned down by one vendor, the consumer has the right and ability to take their business elsewhere. I like to keep my dollars local but, when the local vendors fail to meet my needs, I’ll use the Internet.

If you are really angry with the store, contact customer service and explain the situation to them. They should be able to explain the action of the store or correct the problem.

kx592 said:
in NJ i cannot buy in any store any ammo that can be able to be used in a pistol, including .17hmr now

I didn't know there is a .17 HMR pistol now. Don't say any more or I'll start shopping. :D

So I think the real lesson here is how to handle confrontations like this. Don't get physically upset. Ask for the manager. Write down names and then call corporate. There no sense in losing your temper - that doesn't get you very far in life.

When a young person asks for handgun or interchangeable ammo, I ask them "What are you shooting this in?" in a conversational tone. If they say it's for a rifle, I ask which model. Then I card them. If they're over 21, they get the ammo. If they are over 18, but less than 21 they get the ammo if they knew which model rifle they own.

Is the a local gun store you can buy your ammo at and not chain store like Cabelas or wal-mart. They might know whats going alot better than those types of stores. OR you could just have someone over 21 buy it for you.

I'm not an expert, and logic rarely applies with regards to gun laws, but, I don't see how it could be illegal for person "B" to buy something for person "A", that person "A" could legally buy from a correctly informed retailer w/o person "B".

Common sense would tell me that having person A buy it for person B is the same rule as for having A buy a case of beer for B, A being 21, B being 18-20.

Bein' a born and bred smarty pants, and a head full of white hair, I have an answer for everything...

At walmart they ask "Rifle or Handgun" when I am buying .22LR...

Some times I say, "Heck I dunno it is for some kids out front that asked me to buy it..." Other times i say "It is for a MACHINE GUN, is that a rifle?"

And more recently I say "Neither, they are for a booby trap I made out of galvanized pipe"

Brent

kx592 said:
Common sense would tell me that having person A buy it for person B is the same rule as for having A buy a case of beer for B, A being 21, B being 18-20.

The problem with that line of thinking is that beer is illegal for person B to have because he is under 21. In the presented situation the ".357 magnum ammunition" is completely legal for the OP to own & buy as he is both over the age of 18 and the ammunition is to be used for a rifle. The OP could legally buy it all day and night if the seller was properly informed of the law. Working around a sellers ignorance of the law does not = breaking the law.

I fully understand and agree but seems to me that my example is how the employee is treating this situation, except the law is slightly different making it legal. My point being that the 21 buying for minor is illegal and buying ammo for a pistol for a "minor" with those intentions has to be illegal as well.

I'm going to put my usual end-of-post mandatory disclaimer up front for this one:

I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. ;) This is not official legal advice.

OK, here goes...
Is that legal? Somebody with expert opinion chime in. If it's not, then we need to withdraw that post.
I'm not necessarily an expert, but upon reading 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), it seems to be legal.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver
--
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee
knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years
of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun
or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual
who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less
than twenty-one years of age;...
(emphasis mine)

First, the law does not address nonlicensees, and when I searched the entirety of 18 USC 922 and 923 and 27 CFR 478 for the term "twenty-one" or "21", this paragraph is the only place it comes up. There doesn't seem to be any federal law prohibiting nonlicensees from selling handgun ammo to people between the ages of 18 and 21. The law conspicuously addresses licensees only.

Second, the law says "...sell or deliver...", not "...cause to be delivered..." as with other federal laws pertaining to firearms. Therefore, only the immediate transaction between the licensee and the nonlicensed recipient of the ammo appears to fall under the scope of the law; once the ammo has changed hands, the licensee is in the clear, even if the recipient were to immediately turn around and hand the ammo to an 18-year-old.

Caveat emptor, YMMV, etc. ;)

Related issue came up today for me...

... with AIMSurplus.

I had placed my first order with them over the weekend, for some bulk 9mm.

Received an email this morning, saying that for my first purchase with them, I would need to provide some ID.

I found this odd, so I called their sales number. The guy on the other end explained that several prosecutors have started bringing suits and/or setting up stings against companies for failing to verify the ages of ammo purchasers. (This ties in with what Tom Servo posted, earlier in this thread.)

The guy at AIM said that the other online distributors will probably start doing something similar, when they get hit with similar suits or complaints.

Just ducky...

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of giving out copies of my DL, or MIL ID. Anything with numbers that can be used for identity theft is not something I like to give out. Luckily, AIM accepted a copy of my concealed permit. Pretty sure identity thieves don't use those (how would they explain having THAT number, but not a DL or SSN?).

Problem solved, but it will be interesting to see how many other permutations of the same basic issue come up in the near future.

re:Hogdog

At walmart they ask "Rifle or Handgun" when I am buying .22LR...

Not too long ago I purchased a box of 28 gauge shells at WalMart. The checkout gal asked me if it was for a rifle or handgun. I said it was for a shotgun. She looked puzzled for a moment and then rang me up.

Where can I get a 28 gauge handgun?

Back