Apparently Cabelas thinks its illegal for me to feed my rifle.....

SPUSCG

Got denied .357 magnum ammunition, when I went to buy ammo for my 1894c. (Im 20, 21 soon but it still is inconvient.)

A. I bought the rifle there.
B. They said id have no problem if i state ammo is for rifle.
C. Purcheased several boxes with the rifle.

Now I got in an argument with the manager on duty who said its illegal for me to get the ammunition sice it can be used in a pistol even though I had proof I was using it in a rifle. (they then rang up my .22lr LOL.)

Anyone run into this problem before? they keep stating "its the law."

I know otherwise but how do I get my point across? I love my rifle and need to feed it (wal mart and dick;s sporting is always out so this is my only source of 357.)

In looking at the Maine statutes, I see no prohibition on those under 21 purchasing ammuntion that may be used in both handguns and rifles.

Looking at US Code, the only thing that comes close is 922(x)(1)/(2), both of those state juvinile. Even if one were to extend juvinile to persons under 21, you still would be able to purchase as (B) in both of those provides an exception for ammunition that may be used in a rifle in addition to a handgun.

I will see if I can find any more specifics (ATF regulations, maybe?) but to the best of my knowledge and research, the manager at the Cabela's is someone who does not know the law. Sure, he knows parts of it, just enought to be dangerous with it, though.

Frankly, retail establishments where age controlled merchandise (alcohol, tobacco, firearms, etc) MUST know the specifics of the laws that govern their sale.

It is not uncommon to hear stories around here every now and then of someone under 21 being refuse the sale of NA beer (i.e. Sharps). The rational for the clerk/manager is that it says on the can that it contains 0.05% ABV. This, they say makes it an alcoholic beverage. (Same thing goes for time of day sales.) However, in WI at least, it is specifically stated in the statutes that 0.05% ABV is legally defined as being non-alcoholic, and legal to sell to anyone, store policy notwithstanding.

A little bit of knowledge can do a lot of harm.

I think its because he is still under 21. hang in there. Don't make a big deal about it, so it doesn't keep happening. Go somewhere else or buy a bunch when 'that one guy' who doesn't care is working. Be the one who buys the ammo yourself. Otherwise definately go somewhere else to buy the ammo

I think its funny they sold me .22 lr (im using it in my rifle but its still the most common pistol caliber in the world.

Pistol calibers are in many rifles, like the 1894 and camp carbine.

Then theres the rifle caliber pistols, like the TC contender and BFR. Or a 410 revovler.

It comes down to what end use is. Its just stupid that they flat out refused a sale. I love the gun but am out of ammo at the moment.

Wal mart was cleared out on black friday. Dicks is out. Closest store next to that is an hour away. This is just a conveinent local place with good selection.

I gotta check online, problem is im exerimenting with what types of ammo shoot well and want to find a good one before i start buying in bulk (the only way shipping and handling is worth it.)

So far 357 is great and 38 sucks in the marlin, ive heard this is common though.

I prefer 357.

I have the 180gr partition gold winchester supreme hollowpoints, 158gr federal hydro hollows, and the 125gr golden sabre remington hollowpoints

I no where your coming from, in NJ i cannot buy in any store any ammo that can be able to be used in a pistol, including .17hmr now :barf:

Every time I run out to cabelas in PA, they always ask pistol or rife use for each type of ammo, including 12ga #8... Never have they questioned me or gave me a hard time, being 19.

It's Federal law, so it works the same in all 50 states. You can't sell handgun ammo to someone under 21. If the ammo can be used in BOTH handguns and rifles, the seller has to have reason to believe that it is going to be used in a rifle.

"Q: May a licensee sell interchangeable ammunition such as .22 cal. rimfire to a person less than 21 years old?

Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied that it is for use in a rifle. If the ammunition is intended for use in a handgun, the 21-year-old minimum age requirement is applicable.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(1), 27 CFR 478.99(b)]"

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensees-conduct-of-business.html#interchangeable-ammo-sales

Under the circumstances I don't see why Cabela's doesn't believe you are buying the ammo for a rifle. Sounds like the manager doesn't understand exactly how the law works.

Sounds like yet another ill-informed "manager". Next time you go to buy some ammo, try taking the reciept for your rifle with you and, if you still get grief, simply ask to speak to his boss.

Unfortunately, Cabelas has the right to believe you're going to use it in pistol whether they told you verbally before buying the rifle or not. Unfair? Yes. I'd be miffed myself. But if they're going to hide behind the law for any excuse, there's really nothing you can do to make them sell.

Hang in there until your 21st. That's probably the best thing to do right now if you've exhausted all other legal and convenient avenues..

Gee... I just love it when someone who knows just enough law to be a PITA to everyone around him/her, and then gets on a power trip.

OK, no one else (that's close by) has any ammo. Only Cabelas. So what you do is to phone, or email, or use the live chat, with Corporate Customer Service and state your case to them. Provide them with the store location and the manager's name. Date(s) and time, if you remember them.

1-800-237-4444 or http://www.cabelas.com/custserv/custserv.jsp

I can guarantee that they will be interested in this. It is not corporate policy to deny ammo to anyone they have already sold a firearm to. Somebody is gonna get a chewin'.

Will it solve your problem immediately? No. It will take a couple of days, but the problem will not repeat.

Edited to add: Sorry Tuttle. You are wrong. Been through this with Cabelas in Boise denying open carry in their store. Problem was solved in less than a week (Cabelas always follows State Law). Manager was chewed on royally.

Back