anyone shoot these old 22's ???

http://parkerizingkits.com/index.html

What you think of these kits? I believe my CZ52 is gray Parkerized.
cz52.jpg

I haven't looked at it in a while to be sure, but I know it is a matt finish. I have a bead blaster at home and can blast the metal on the Model 55 revolver to prep it for Parkerizing.

Mike

I just think the bead blasted finish would cover any pits better...

one also has to be carefull with blueing, as they often used different iron & steel mixes in the parts... I've seen a couple Ivers, where the re-blue did not match between the frame, barrel, & cylinder...

not sure on the age of your "55" but I think it's new enough, that the steels may be more uniform ( of the off color guns I've seen, at least 2 of them were top breaks, & likely older than the "55" ) unless your gun is old enough that it's a black powder gun ???

The Model 55 first came out in 1955 so it'll be modern ammo ;) It's got a 8 round non-fluted cylinder and round barrel. It is a duel action revolver. I just about fell over when I seen it. My usual antique finds are cap & ball guns.

Mike

I haven't bought the Iver Johnson book yet, so I'm not as up on them as some of the others I've collected, but I was thinking it was a newer solid frame gun.. does your 55 have a loading gate or just the loading port ??? I think I remember seeing them both ways :confused:

The loading port. Question, how am I supposed to get the spent rounds out of the cylinder? This is the first time I have seen a revolver like this. My only other revolver I have owned & shot is my 586 SW.
586sw.jpg

EZ to eject the spent rounds out of that one but this Model 55? Strange to me anyhow...

Back on that Super Colibri ammo, Cabela's sells it for $34.99 which is a bit under Cheaper Than Dirt with the shipping per one 500 round brick. It'd be cheaper to just drive to a Cabela's, if one is close by, if you are only buying a single brick. If buying a bunch of bricks, then Cheaper Than Dirt is the way to go.

Mike

I believe on the model 55 you either turned the cylinder to line up with the "port" & inserted something small to push out the spent cases, or pulled the cylinder pin & took out the cylinder then ( at least I do, on similar solid frame guns ) use the cylinder pin to push out the cases... I believe they designed them that way...

that is one thing to look for on this type of revolver no matter the caliber, is often the cylinder pin retaining system is worn, because of how often the cylinder was removed over the life of the revolver...

The pin & retainer is thankfully pretty tight. Plenty tight for shooting. I will keep this gun well lubed so there will be no additional wear. It appears to be a low time gun. You should have seen how loose that 22 short revolver was that I looked at Monday. No way that one could have been fired even if it had a good cylinder. It was way sloppy. It looks like the one you have pictured at the top of this thread with the short octagon barrel in nickel finish. It was definitely one from the 1880's in black powder. Some meathead likely thru some modern ammo in it and destroyed a piece of history :mad:
My Model 55 will get a wooden dowel used to unload it now that you told me how it is done. That way the cylinder only has to come out when it is cleaning time. I'm thinking like a dowel carried on a lanyard...
Can't wait to get home now so I can start the restoration. I have to test fire that rifle that I bought a few weeks ago. I had to install a new lifter spring in it as it was missing when I bought the gun. That rifle was made from 1935 thru 1945 I believe. I don't have the specifics with me or any pictures of it on my site so I can't show you. I had bought it, then got the spring in and had to leave on this trip so it's at home and I'm down here in Kentucky :(

Mike

That split cylinder .22 revolver was called a H&R YOUNG AMERICAN double action. It had the 2.5" barrel.

Mike

Back home now...Got the rust off the 55 Target last night. It is pitted here & there but not totally ugly. It will be fine looking with a matt finish. Good news is the bore is flawless shiny like it should be. This revolver was so freakin dirty.. Now to make that wooden unloader stick. Thank you for that tip :)

Mike

Got any pictures yet? Bet you are going nuts not being able to go in there and pick it up :eek: LOL...

Was this something you bought online and had shipped to that dealer or?

Mike

Wow I forgot you had purchased that Sidewinder. That looks like a newer version of my Mod 55? Damn nice looking. I'd be going nuts waiting. How much did the shop charge for the FFL transfer? I am going to re-apply for my C&R in a few weeks when I have the $$$. I let my 03 license expire a couple years ago or so. Never should have done that :rolleyes:

Mike

I don't have any books yet either. Any suggestions of the good books? I don't want to buy any BS books. I have about exhausted the online research of the Mod 55. Basically not much out there and what is out there is a duplicate picked from some else's website. It appears the not so popular guns are not so well documented. A shame :(

Mike

FYI:

NUMRICH ARMS CO
Item ID: 436960B
IVER JOHNSON - 50 SIDEWINDER, 55A TARGET, 55SA CADET 56A STARTER, 57A TARGET
Grip, Two Piece, Small, Walnut

Back