anyone shoot these old 22's ???

Wow

Alot of beautiful old pistols and rifles. I saw alot of talk about different .22 shells.

I was surprised today when I went into local wally world and they actually had .22 shorts on the shelf. Had not seen them in there before.

I recived the US Revolver in the mail yesterday... I honestly don't think the gun has been shot.... it has 3 smaller spots of nickel pealing 2 on edges by the grip, & one for about an inch on a small edge of the barrel rib... there is not even one hint of a pit in either the barrel or any of the chambers, & the action cycles as crisply as if it were new... it's raining today, so I won't shoot it today... & MRS MAGNUM was kinda peeved when I told her I was broke this week... her response was... "what did you buy this week" I had to tell her about the 22... so when it showed up yesterday,I made a deal with her... ( she always complains she either can't afford what I want, or can't figure out what to get me for presents ), & it's my B Day next week, I told her if she paid for Mothers Day brunch for my mother & the two of us, I'd let her give me the 22 for my B Day... I think that's a fair trade for both of us...LOL

... but she said OK, & then took away the 22... she said it's not your birthday yet...:p

so... I may have to wait till next weekend to shoot the new top break...:o

BTW... I just found & bought another brick of those Super Colibri's... thought I better buy another since this gun looks to be a shooter...;)

dealing on another very unusual model... let you know & post pics if I can work out the details...

"I" think it's pretty cool, & supposed to be fully functional

magnum: Glad to hear that 22 was as described. Looking forward to the shooting review. Do you think your gonna shoot LR through it?

got a commitment on sale... so I'll post... probably be a week or two before it gets here... but is supposed to be rough cosmetically, but in perfect working order mechanically

it's an oddball... an Iver Johnson Sidewinder... single action / double action 22 with a loading gate, & a single action ejector rod & housing on the barrel...

how odd is that ??? a double action revolver with a single action ejector rod ??? I can't think of any other... hmmm... maybe one of the 1st Colt double action 45 LC ????

attachment.php

Attachments

• Iver Johnson Sidewinder.jpg
    Iver Johnson Sidewinder.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,245
Last edited:
how odd is that ??? a double action revolver with a single action ejector rod ??? I can't think of any other... hmmm... maybe one of the 1st Colt double action 45 LC ????

Colt Lightning's had loading gates and single action style ejectors. Available in .38 and .41 caliber for $14 and $15 respectively in 1888 :D

I picked up this H&R Model 1906 22RF from a lady friend for $50. 7 shot, has a groove for loading a round at a time but you need something to "eject" the round with. I just pull the cylinder pin and load/empty a cylinder at a time.

I've got it's .32 short cousin from the mid 1890s!

h_r_american_1.jpg

Your friend and mine must be relate, because I paid $40 for mine!

had the old US Revolver gun out this weekend, & put several cylinders full of the Super Colibri ammo through the gun... the gun functions as new, & shot to point of aim at between 15-20ft with the Colibri's...

hoping the old Sidewinder gets here this week... though it might not get here till early next week ???

Magnum Wheel Man, where does one obtain these Super Colibri .22s? I have a rather substantial collection of these old rf guns. (Purely by accident, I might add; They just sort of kept appearing.)

Thanks for that link... I already have 2 Bricks, but at that price I might have to buy one or two more...

even at the $30.00 price with shipping, they are only 17 or 18 cents a shot... it is pretty cheap shooting...

BTW... these work OK in loose old black powder rifles, but if you read the reviews on Midways site, the poor reviews come from people trying to shoot them in new rifles... for my purposes, they are great for the old black powder 22 handguns & for my old Stevens Crackshot ( my accuracy is better out of the handguns... but that may just be the looser bore in my ol rifle ??? )... if someone is just after "quiet shooting" I'd think the new high velocity shorts would be better for use in modern rifles...

I just bought a Iver Johnson Target Model 55 last weekend and a Stevens .22 bolt a few weeks ago that I can't remember the model number at the moment. This ammo should be good in the revolver once I restore it.

Found a neat 2.5" octagon barrel H&R .22 revolver the other day but some meathead shot modern ammo thru it and split the cylinder :eek: I sure wanted that one but not after seeing that damage :mad:

Mike

so does your Iver have an adjustable rear sight ??? most of this era didn't but I have seen a few here & there, even a couple top breaks... I haven't been able to get one yet myself, but I'd like to pick up a top break with the old style adjustable sights...

No adjustable rear sight. It's just the regular groove that the hammer blocks until it's cocked. What is that stuff that turns rust into powder as this barrel has some rust. The bore looks good and shiny which saves me the lapping process.

BTW, what part of Southern MN are you in? I am about 35 miles north of Minneapolis. Sitting in Kentucky at the moment as we are traveling this week.

tnx,
Mike

I'm pretty close to where I-90 & I-35 cross ;)

the local gun shop had / recommended a "scrubbie" it looks like it's aluminum, plastic or ??? but it's not "too hard" on the surrounding blueing, but helps take off some of the rust, I use this scrubber pad with something like WD-40... I also have used very fine steel wool, & a wetting with something like WD-40, but the steel wool can be hard on the surrounding blueing... most of my guns that needed "cleaning up" have been nickel, & I use Flitz & a soft cloth or old tooth brush with those, & the Flitz really whitens up the dark areas... but I haven't tried it on a blued gun ???... but once you get them cleaned up, cold blueing can help

... I have a Hopkins & Allen Safety Police model in 38 S&W, that had alot of rust where the previous owners had had been in contact with the metal around the grip... I never did get all the rust off, but now it blends in with the pantina of the gun, & is not so objectionable, or noticable... I've heard of people spot bead blasting, but I have never messed with that

Sounds like Austin. There is no blue left on any metal on this revolver :p I want to make it rust free then see what type of finish I want to put on it depending upon how rough the surface is and what will hide that texture. It's going to be a shooter for sure. The timing looks good and the action is plenty tight. I'll get some pictures on here once I get home. I also need to get my C&R application sent in as I let my old 03 license lapse :( I had ran across this revolver last weekend then later found this forum and all your posts got me interested in C&R guns again :)

Mike

E.A. Brown is a MN company that offer a "french grey" finish... which I think is a bead blasted satin nickel finish... of the re-finishers I've seen out there, I think they are resonably priced... I've been meaning to send one up there, but I can't seem to stay off Gun Broker long enough to save up the money for a re-finish:D I think you could do a bead blast & blueing for a satin finish in blued that would look OK on these guns... or there is always DuraKote for probably the lowest cost...

I'll have to decide what to do with that Sidewinder I posted a pic of, once it gets here... what I'll spend on the finish, will be dependant on if the gun is as solid as the seller described ???

I have a couple S&W top break centerfires, that I think I'm going to spend the bucks & send to Fords re-finishing... once I can keep my finger off the "bid button"

That sounds like a Parkerize finish. That would look very pretty on this revolver. Nickle plating would look nice too but it would take some attention to not get the plating where it shouldn't be, for clearance issues. I haven't been attracted to those top break revolvers like you have. They seem like a weak design, but I haven't owned one so I am not the one to judge what they can or can not do. I did see a pair of .32 cal revolvers last Monday but the ammo cost kept me away from them. I have my fair share of expensive ammo guns and am interested in the low buck .22 guns now. Of course reading your posts has gotten me even more interested :) It's all your fault now :p

Mike

Back