Anyone own a Ruger LCR?

Call me ignorant, I never hold my gun tight all this time. In the 80s, there is no forum to talk, I was totally on my own learning how to shoot. I always try to relax my hands to avoid anticipations. So it's always limb wrist. I was so surprised when I talked to my friend lately that I am supposed to squeeze the gun to shoot!!! I yet to go shoot holding the gun tight yet.

Good grief, man. It's called a firm grip, you know, between a limp wrist and a death squeeze.

I looked up limp wrist, it's what I understand, the hand is relax, not holding very tight. That's how I've been shooting all these years with good enough result.

Maybe that's the reason recoil never bothers me because I don't fight the recoil. Just very relax. Must be a good workout for you guys shooting!!!

Last edited:
Urbanrecon is pointing out that you keep spelling the word "limp", LIMB.

yes, I know, I learn. But the point is the same, I got the meaning correct even though the spelling is wrong. That's how I shoot all these years with good enough result. No wonder why people talk so much about recoil problem. I just go with the flow of the gun, relax. I can shoot a whole afternoon session and still feel refreshed at the end of the session. Unless I have to do fast shooting like in the tv shows, I don't see any advantage of squeezing the gun to death. Don't people's hands start shaking if they try to squeeze the gun?

I rather shoot a little slower and go for the aim. I have to try squeezing the gun next time to see how I feel about the recoil, so far it really doesn't bother me at all whether it's 357 or 22. The only one that bothered me was shooting the 12 gauge shotgun.

Limp wristing can interfere with cycling on semi-autos, depending on the load and recoil spring combination.

Revolvers should cycle just fine, but the POI might be higher due to decreased resistance to muzzle flip.

I don't see any advantage of squeezing the gun to death. Don't people's hands start shaking if they try to squeeze the gun?

You don't have to choke the gun to death; grip it firmly and keep your wrist/forearm locked. As HighValleyRanch noted, you'll never recover from recoil in time for a fast followup shot if you're holding the gun with a "relaxed" deportment.

To me, a shot per second is plenty fast. Any faster than that, you cannot aim. It's not how many rounds you can shoot, it's how accurate you can hit.

When I watch tv and see those people go bang bang bang, then they complain they run out of bullets. That to me is stupid.

Those days, instead of bang bang bang, I did practice lowering the gun, turn my head away, then turn to the target, aim and shoot fast. Then repeat again and again. It's how fast you can acquire and shoot the target, not bang bang bang!!!!

This thread is the Ruger LCR, 5 shots, people really have to aim before shooting. For conceal carry, you really want to carry 4 or 5 speed loader in the pocket?

Last edited:
I was thinking about it, but the ballistic of the .32 is a bit low. That's too bad, why don't they make a hotter round in between 32 Magnum and the .32 long. 6 shots at 17oz is very attractive. Magnum is just too strong, I prefer power of regular 38Spcial or the +P max.
that's what the .32 H&R Magnum is. you must be confused about what the .327 Federal Magnum is.

I am looking at the size spec of LCR, it is a little bigger than S&W 36, which is not good. BUT, I look at the disassembly of LCR, seems like the it's the grip that makes the size so big, If I can trim the grip down, it would be same size or even a little smaller than the S&W 36. Here is the picture showing the outline of the size of the grip over the real handle.

attachment.php

If the rubber grip is solid, it would be easy to just trim off the excess. I think it will make a HUGE difference for CC.

No, I don't worry about recoil. I don't fight the recoil, I go with the flow of the gun. For 38Spc, it won't be worst than the Model 36 as the butt has no cushion at all.

Also, I kind of hesitant on LCR because I found out S&W now has new Scandium Alloy frame that is light. But it's very expensive. Scandium Alloy supposed to be better than aluminum alloy. It's spec for 357, so it should be very robust for shooting 38spc +P. It's just expensive.

Attachments

• LCR.jpg
    LCR.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
If you want a smaller than stock grip for the LCR, the Hogue Bantam boot grip is THE way to go, imo.

You can probably find one for about $20 delivered on ebay.

If you want a smaller than stock grip for the LCR, the Hogue Bantam boot grip is THE way to go, imo.

You can probably find one for about $20 delivered on ebay.

Thanks so much, I put it in my cart in case I decide to buy the LCR. That's what I am talking about. I don't care how it looks as long as it's smaller.

The more I look, the more I think the little snub nose it the way to go for CC. The reliability alone make snub nose a good choice, now you talking about light weight. Sure beat the S&W model 36 and the Walther PPK I have.
attachment.php

Thanks

Attachments

• Hogue grip.jpg
    Hogue grip.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Back