Anyone own a Ruger LCR?

Recoil is never been an issue, the only time I complained about recoil is when I shot a 12 gauge shotgun. Other than that, you get used to it and it's not that important. To everything, there's always a down side, you don't shot a 357 snubby and expect a kick like 22LR. I don't even know what is the big deal of recoil. You get what you get for.

Now the 12 gauge is a different story, me and my wife got bruised shoulder from the 12 gauge. It made shooting an AR15 223 like toy gun. 357 kicks, but still it's not that big a deal.

Just never understand people make such a big deal about recoil. Get use to it.

My wife shot the 38 Charter Arms snubby till it's worn out, never did she complain. Don't be a baby!!!

Sorry.

I have two, the LCR .22lr and the LCR .327 Fed Mag.

good guns, triggers are noticeably better than their "J" frame counter parts.

SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) has had her LCR in .38 Special for quite a long time now. It has been nothing but reliable. She carries it everyday and shoots it about every two weeks. I have named it Azz Kicker as I hate shooting it. It stings my hand bad. It was REALLY bad with the Crimson Trace Laser grips on it, as they were hard plastic. The factory Hogue grips are not as bad. The wife don't seem to care. She will fire a whole box of 158gr and not bat an eye. She's pretty good with it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I've had an LCR in .357 for several years now. I probably don't shoot it as much as I should, but I've never had any problems with it. I think it's a great little gun. I carry .38s in it, though. I've shot .357 through it and found it a bit, ummm, .... Let's call it "brisk."

The only complaint I used to have was my .38 LCRX 3” had ugly grips. Here is how I fixed that:

I went to the range a few times and felt the grip frame and grips flexed in my hand soaking up recoil from +p loads and how the gun fit in my hand just right.

Now the grips look perfectly elegant. It’s not a beauty like a lovely old J frame. It’s a shooter not a show piece. The weight makes it very attractive and the construction makes me think “if I was going canoeing or fishing, this is what I’d take.” Not that I abuse things but I expect a LCR is easy to dry off and a little damp for a few days won’t set it to rusting before a good drying out. Theoretical conjecture.

I and my wife have the LCR 327.

She carries 32 H&R Magnum

I carry Speer 100 gr 327 Federal Magnum. Got it in my pocket as I key this with a 357 Sig G32 on my hip!

Exceptional guns IMHO
My wife got the LCR in 327 Federal and shoots .32 S&W. She loves it so much, she gave back the Chiappa 200 DS Rhino that she got from me when she first started shooting revolvers. She always claimed that the Rhino fit her like custom made - she now feels that the LCR as a .32 was made from her dream specs.

My wife got the LCR in 327 Federal and shoots .32 S&W. She loves it so much, she gave back the Chiappa 200 DS Rhino that she got from me when she first started shooting revolvers. She always claimed that the Rhino fit her like custom made - she now feels that the LCR as a .32 was made from her dream specs.

I was thinking about it, but the ballistic of the .32 is a bit low. That's too bad, why don't they make a hotter round in between 32 Magnum and the .32 long. 6 shots at 17oz is very attractive. Magnum is just too strong, I prefer power of regular 38Spcial or the +P max.

Last edited:
Was horrified by the looks when they first came out.

It hasn't gotten any prettier with time-but it's still a great little revolver for all the reasons you cited. My pick is the .327 Magnum variant; I appreciate the extra round for self-defense applications. It shoots almost all .32 cartridge variations but the Magnum does bring more noise, muzzle blast, recoil, weight and cost of ammunition with it.

Last but not the least, the arrogance of Kimber in youtube blaming people limb wrist for jamming, fix the stupid gun!!!
Duh, that was Kahr, not Kimber.
And Kimber revolvers have an excellent track trecord.
6 ounce is alot for pocket carry, but with a good holster, not that much difference AIWB.

Sorry, I mixed up!!! I deleted my post.

I hate holster, I only carry in jacket pocket, that makes a big difference. It's too uncomfortable to use holster.

You don't use a holster for a pocket carry? This is just me talking but I would not do that. Again that is just me.
I have a LCR in 22 magnum. It is used as a back up gun. I pocket carry it in a Sticky holster. Shoots good and I can hit the target most of the time and I can hit the state of Utah every time.

It is more than just invisible, you use a holster, if it is on your back, you cannot rest on it. It is so uncomfortable even though it's invisible. I put my guns in the jacket pocket, I don't have to feel it. That's where size and weight become important.

Life is too short, are you protecting the gun or the gun protecting you? If you suffer through all that just to hide the gun, are you protecting the gun or the gun protecting you?

I would do anything just NOT to feel it's presence.

Hold the jacket in my hands!!! At least I can sit comfortably. I used to be able to wear a very light jacket at 90 deg. I can't do it anymore.

I sweat a lot, I would ruin the gun if I carry next to my body.

That's the reason I do NOT carry a gun if I can help it. I don't go to dangerous place, If I do, I would carry. There comes a point of time I ask myself am I protecting the gun or the gun protecting me.

I carried much smaller guns for a while, it's better than nothing. But I quit that also.

the arrogance of Kimber in youtube blaming people limb wrist for jamming, fix the stupid gun!!!
No you had it right. That's what Kimber told me (more than a few years ago) when they didn't want to admit their external extractor on their 1911s sucked. They finally came around and went back to a traditional, internal extractor. They had already lost me as a customer by then and I've purchased a good number of 1911s (and other handguns) since then.

Call me ignorant, I never hold my gun tight all this time. In the 80s, there is no forum to talk, I was totally on my own learning how to shoot. I always try to relax my hands to avoid anticipations. So it's always limb wrist. I was so surprised when I talked to my friend lately that I am supposed to squeeze the gun to shoot!!! I yet to go shoot holding the gun tight yet.

Maybe that's the reason I had problems with my Gold Cup, Walther PPK and S&W659. That's 3 out of 5 guns!!! BUT, I fixed them all myself. I am NOT a gun smith, but like I said before, this is no rocket science. There is only so many things that goes wrong in FTE.

1) Angle of extractor not right.
2) Angle of ejector is not right.
3) Recoil spring too strong.
4) Ejector port not smooth.

I don't want to say for new guns now with CAD design and CSC. I have to see the problem to analyze it. In my days all can cause problem, I had to work on 1,2 and 4 to fix all my guns. Obviously the new guns are designed different. For one, the ejector ports are made a whole lot bigger than the old ones I have. That really solve a lot of problems.

But from reading, with small semi, the recoil spring is very critical. You choose a stronger recoil spring to dampen the recoil. But too tight the spring, a weaker round cannot push the slide completely to the back and can cause FTE and FTF. That would be the first thing I would look at.

Like I said, I am not a gun smith, but I am SURE I can fix it if I have a gun that has problem. If I can do it, I am sure any manufacturer should know better and can fix it. It's the pride that they refuse to admit they have a problem. And YES, I called out Kahr for the youtube.

I know people all said Glock is ultra reliable. I have not shot my Glock 26, but I cannot help but a little concern the recoil spring is very tight because it's a smaller gun with smaller slide. It is tighter than my S&W659. You need the mass of the slide to cycle the gun after firing. When you have less mass, you have to make up by using a stronger recoil spring both for felt recoil and protecting the frame from the slide slamming too hard. The recoil spring becomes very critical. If the spring is a little out of spec, you can have problem. Glock 26 uses a 16lbs spring. I am even thinking about buying a 14lbs spring as spare just in case.

I am purely speculation at this point. But I would look at the recoil spring first instead of coming out and blame on the shooter.

JMHO

Last edited:
Back