Anyone of my age remember the 218 bee

Does anyone make new ammo for the .218 Bee?
Hornady just introduced a 218 Bee load with 45 gr HP last year.
Winchester loads 45 gr HP for it "seasonally" (whatever that means).
HSM loads for it with 45 gr VMax.
I'm not sure what an improved bee is
An Improved cartridge has the shoulder blown out to increase case capacity and velocity. The 218 Mashburn Bee, for example, has a shorter neck, the shoulder is blown forward and shoulder angle is sharper. Performance approaches 222 Remington. There are other improved Bees, just google it.

Last edited:
We had a lever gun chambered for it on the farm growing up. As a kid, my dad told me that this particular rifle was magic and that it was made to kill woodchucks. As a grownup, I know better... even if it did seem uncannily good at killing woodchucks.

The Black spot - I'm not sure what an improved bee is. I do think you can spin the bolt face out on a mod m25 savage 22 hornet to fit a 218. The mags will have to be milled out but you have to probably rework the mags to get your hand-loaded hornets to work well anyway. I had to. The barrel wouldn't be much of a problem.
I think its a mashburn bee. I'd still like to have one someday in either version

There were 1500 built in 1989. According to Blue Book they sold out by 1990.
Cool rifle, but you're going to be limited to iron sights. I can't remember if they were tapped for receiver or Tang sights.
IMO, that's about twice what it's wotrth

Last edited:
Back