Anyone having trouble trading/selling your bolt gun?

Now we cram our guns into a bank vault where they get dinged up with the same regard my wife gives her brooms in the broom closet.
We?
Be careful whom you include there, buddy. ;)
I may store mine in a dark steel box, but they don't get banged around anything like returning a shovel to the corner of the shed or cramming a broom back in the closet.

And having nice wood?
Sometimes it's about the quality of wood, not beauty. ...Even if it happens to look fantastic.
Plus, a wood stock always feels better when carried in the woods. Warm, natural, quiet.
Cold, artificial plastic makes me feel like I'm carrying around recycled condoms that, somehow, always manage to make more noise than anyone would believe possible.

I have replaced near all of my few guns with higher grade wood.

Every time I walk past them or open the cabinet, I always get a surprise about how beautiful and graceful they are.

None of you guys with plastic experience that. You got no souls.

heck, I've even got a couple pieces of xxx grade gunstock walnut, just chunks, that I finished. They sit on my mantle.

Okayyy.

A guy I knew would unwrap one just an inch or so and rubber band it. Later he realised that a tiny balloon worked just as well. You jam the absolutely as tight as you can to the muzzle.

Supposedly, that immediate blast of air that the bullet sent down the barrel blew it open, the bullet never touched it.

I also read about using lamb skin condoms as sausage casings. Really.

I used a tiny piece of electrical tape.

The neat thing about this is they still produce both and both options are available. While I appreciate nice wood-stocked rifles the last one I purchased I was happy to have in plastic because I frankly would not have added another to the collection if I had to pay the price of new wood. What hurts wood more, in my opinion, is the level of function of some of the new "cheap" rifles. Sub MOA rifles for under $500 (many times under $400) makes paying the money for the fit and finish of a high end rifle hard

I'm old school and testing out "imageshack," which costs $19 per year.

uouqza.jpg

A guy I knew would unwrap one just an inch or so and rubber band it. Later he realised that a tiny balloon worked just as well. You jam the absolutely as tight as you can to the muzzle.

Supposedly, that immediate blast of air that the bullet sent down the barrel blew it open, the bullet never touched it.
Depending upon barrel diameter, I use party balloons or water balloons for wet conditions. Works as advertised. I don't even care if they're tight, so long as they cover the muzzle.
Even if the bullet does touch the balloon, it doesn't have a measurable affect on the bullet -- at least in my testing (and one filled tag with a balloon on).

Downturn in the Used Gun Market

I am an economist by trade, if that matters to anyone, and while I do not work for the gun industry, I do follow the market since I am a shooting enthusiast. The weakness in the used gun market overall is a function of a series of recent events.
The Obama years which included at least 4 major panic buys (his initial election, Newtown, his re-election, and the prospect of a Clinton win) got a lot of people who wanted a semi-auto firearm off the sideline and down to the gun store to purchase their firearm. Many of these same folks are people who may in the future have purchased a bolt-action rifle instead, but because of the prospect of losing the ability to buy an "evil" AR, they spent the money, often on credit, and got the gun they wanted. Then, you had companies ramping up production to meet this high demand, especially in 2016 with most people believing Clinton would win, knowing that she is a major gun control advocate. Well, she didn't win, and the market is now absolutely flooded AR's in the $450-$650 price range, which makes it attractive to anyone who might have wanted one, but couldn't afford it before...so now rather than getting that new bolt action rifle they want, they go ahead and purchase that "cheap and new" AR.

Then you simply have the trend that has permeated bolt action rifles over the last couple decades where extremely accurate bolt action rifles can be purchased for relatively very little money. Many years ago, cost was often reflective of performance. The most accurate 1-1.5 MOA bolt action rifles were also rifles with the superior fit and finish. This factor brought utilitarians and the buyers looking for aesthetically pleasing finishes together into the same market where the Winchester Model 70 Super Grades, The browings, the higher end remmington 700's etc shopped.
Today however, no one needs to pay premium rifle prices for premium rifle accuracy. Especially with companies like ruger now producing inexpensive yet accurate hammer forged barrels. Most Ruger American Rifles can be bought for $400 or less and the one I own, and others I have encountered can be made to shoot 1/2 MOA without much work on load development. So now the utilitarian need not pay premium prices for what is perceived to be premium performance.

Sure, the bar has moved somewhat on what "premium" performance is..1 MOA ain't what it used to be. But in the eyes of every single hunter I know, 1/2 MOA is more than adequate.

So, in short, since a new and accurate bolt action rifle can be had for just a few hundred dollars, and since a lot of money has been spent in the last half decade on AR type and semi-automatic pistols, the market for used bolt action rifles has cratered.

Moreover, people like me who do appreciate the quality of a gun like a browing x-bolt or model 70 supergrade, and have the money to buy it, might rather just build a rifle of our choosing.

At the moment, you are kind of in "no mans land" where you either have to price it competitively with a new Savage Axis or Ruger American (maybe lower since it is used), or just hang onto it....but you might get lucky

Shooting "action" sports have not helped either. When was the last time you heard of someone buying a bolt action gun to compete in whatever event they were interested in. Three gun, cowboy action shooting, traps, and skeet seem to rule the roost. Sure there are bench rest and egg shooting competitions but many of those doing these are doing them as secondary to whatever else they do.

@skywag you can still upload and get public forum links for free on imagur just in case you didn't know.
Zipspyder,
Thanks. I tried Imagur, and like it. The format of Imageshack works better for me, and is worth the $20.........to my kind of posting. I like the ease of resizing.

Last edited:
Also, I have a question. When you click on the picture......are you able to go to other pictures of mine? I'd like that to not happen.

Thanks

Cold, artificial plastic makes me feel like I'm carrying around recycled condoms that, somehow, always manage to make more noise than anyone would believe possible.

That was a visual I didn't need.:mad:

The young bucks just aren't interested in the bolt operation guns. They want semi ar15s and aks for even hunting. I don't get it. Yes I have had a hard time selling some bolt guns but with this economy and prez all guns are a tough sell.

Personally--I think the the gun manufacturers themselves are partially responsible for all the hype--you can bet they make a lot more money under a democrat than under a Republican as long as the fear of semi-auto ban is kept alive and well.

Now I love an AR as much as anyone--but there is not a snowball's chance in the warm place that I would trade ANY of my bolt or lever guns for one. I have absolutely nothing against anyone using an AR for hunting--and I do too; but not nearly as often as I do my favorite lever and bolt guns.

Personally--I think the the gun manufacturers themselves are partially responsible for all the hype--you can bet they make a lot more money under a democrat than under a Republican as long as the fear of semi-auto ban is kept alive and well.

Now I love an AR as much as anyone--but there is not a snowball's chance in the warm place that I would trade ANY of my bolt or lever guns for one. I have absolutely nothing against anyone using an AR for hunting--and I do too; but not nearly as often as I do my favorite lever and bolt guns.

Maybe you have the problem I have. I can't decide between my AR15 7.62x39, Winchester 94 30-30 or my 7mm-08 bolt for deer hunting this season? I know, first world problems and all...:p

Back