Anyone having trouble trading/selling your bolt gun?

See if some local gun shop is willing to sell your rifle on consignment. You set the selling price{high & low} Not the gun shops owner.

Last edited:
shoot, I'd love to get my hands on the thing for a price I can afford.

Simple fact is that these guys are right. You have a firearm that doesn't fit the current demand of commodity grade things. You paid a lot for it and it is quite valuable. The problem is that when everyone on the planet will be happy with gray fiberglass on a savage, there are too darned many fine pieces left begging. maybe if it was a deer caliber? I don't know.

One of the locals here has the biggest ass I have known running it. I arrived there one day, and saw him out in the parking lot telling an old woman that he didn't want her guns. nobody would want them. Go away. Probably a widow, probably desperate for the money, and she had no one to help her out.

think about books. At this point, if you try to sell a book, take it to the local used book store, and see what they offer. Ten percent on the dollar, at best? A while back I went to a store with an entire trunk full of books, mostly current and all salable. He offered me ten bucks for the entire car load. "nobody's buying this sort of stuff." I told him that I didn't need the ten bucks, that I'd take them to the library. He got really mad.

An old fellow I knew died recently, he has thousands of dollars, yes, literally thousands of dollars invested in his cigar collection. since he had many, many friends, that collection will be snapped up by his many friends. otherwise, jeeze, my wife will simply throw my stock out when I die.

I'd guess it's based on the local wants in your area. Good bolt actions are doing well around here (Central Wyoming) AR sales are down, and shotguns of all kinds are always slow movers here. Just not bird country and the slug guns sell, but slowly and never bring much money. I have a friend that owns a business where he sells used guns one and off. He has a few good rifles left, not handguns at all (all sold in the first week) and about 10 shotguns. Some of the shotguns are priced quite low, but no one wants them.
But custom and semi-custom bolt action rifles are going well.
I know my friend Jack, who owns a gun shop in Lander has sold 3 custom and 4 semi-custom rifles in the last 2 months all in 9.3X62. He also said he sold a custom 30-06 made on an M70.

So I am guessing it has to do more with your area then it does with anything "national"

In my case it's extra hard because its a .223 left hand bolt. Since you can get a new popular caliber in bolt for $300 its getting even harder. I'll give it a shot on arfcom again in the fall.

Open up an account on Gunbroker.

Advertising locally you limit the number of possible, that's exactly what I want.

Gunbrobker reaches across the who country.

I have sold 3 guns that were not hot sellers locally but in each case found a person who had bee looking for that setup.

One went to Southern state, one to mid West and one to Western.

Their fees are very reasonable.

The demand for the para-military rifles lessened the demand for bolt action hunting rifles. Many hunters now use an AR or an AK/SKS. The crappy state of the economy has the hock shops full of bolt actions.

The economy was crappy in 2008, its not bad now. Granted its not great but a far cry from the depressions we were going into in 2008. Maybe added the buying frenzy is over as well.

Me thinks its more good quality low cost rifles.

Have you tried Gunbrokers?

There's 61 pages of X Bolts on Gunbroker. I did see one today with a 250.00 bid on it and that's the only one I saw but I didn't search all 61 pages.

"...Bad time of year to try selling a hunting rifle..." Not a .223. I think the issue is that the Medallion is too pretty and doesn't have a varmint barrel. The current MSRP on a new one is $1500. Browning has been marketing on the name for eons. They're just not worth the money demanded.
You could try putting it into your local shop on consignment, if they'll that. You're basically getting then to sell it for you for a percentage agreed upon before leaving it there. Do not expect it to move fast or for anywhere near the MSRP.
"...will simply throw my stock out..." Pyramid. snicker.

My 200 dollar 223 axis bolt is my favorite rifle to shoot. My AR's collect dust.

A bolt forces me to slow down and use basic markmanship skills. It uses less ammo $ and I don't have to chase the brass.

I picked up a Type I Carcano (6.5mm Japanese) from a gun show, which I've been trying to sell locally.

Bought it being I liked the Carcano bolt, just not the clip system (ended up getting an Oswald replica, so defeated the purpose)... and the Type I uses a traditional Mauser magazine/stripper clip system. Figured the 6.5mm round is light enough for my girlfriend to shoot, and being the gun was kind of sporterized, it would be something fine for her to learn on (recoil pad added, and barrel slightly shortened)... plus it was a decent price. Walking out of the show, I grabbed two boxes of ammo for it ($60ish).

So, on the way home, I started to figure that I have an SKS, ARs, and a Garand... all of which would be fine for her to shoot. I cleaned it up, got hooked on the action (actually very simple), and got my other Carcano.

Being I don't want to mix up the 6.5mm rounds, I put the Type I up for sale. Figured I'd be able to put the money towards other projects, but also free up the slot in the safe. Probably not going to shoot it much, so originally listed it for about what I picked it up for ($250, not including the price of the ammo, which I figured would be a wash). Had a few people show interest, but went nowhere. So, I drop it down to $200, which is losing a noticeable amount on the rifle, and still including the ammo. Had one person offer $100... but said he figured I'd probably not take it (losing that much, I'll just toss it under the bed). Still bumping it locally on the forum and MeWe (might put it up on Gunboards, but the shipping will likely kill me).

Bolt guns, unless they are highly collectible (Mausers, Finnish Mosins, etc) or tactical models, don't sell. Even tactical carbines like ARs need to be priced so low that you are giving them away.

I think the fact that it's an X-bolt is a factor, as well.
Few people are familiar with them, and the unusual appearance and bolt release make people hesitant.

That being said...
It took me over a year to sell a "LNIB" Marlin XS7 in .223 Rem, with an extra youth stock and spare parts. I had it priced very well -- notably less than I had paid for just the rifle, and I had already gotten a very good deal on it.
...But few people want a bolt-action .223 Rem. (Especially a model that was discontinued and no longer has factory support for repairs.)
Lots of interest. The only serious party was half way across the country, and only wanted it for the .223 bolt head (pricey and very difficult to obtain now).

Remington won't do nothing fir the rifles ? I never seen one in our area but some folks say it's identical to the 783

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shocked at how the value of browning has tanked in the resell market. I've got a brand new a-bolt medallion 300 wsm that I've been trying to sell and can't fetch $600 for it. Dang this still has tags on it. I've got it posted armslist and gunbroker but spend more time chasing away spammers than answering legitimate questions.

Interesting thread.

I have 3 bolt guns that I purposefully sought out and purchased and I like all 3. Fortunately I won't have to deal with selling them. They will eventually get willed to family.

All stainless Remington 700 in 221 Fireball. (purchased on closeout at Gander Mountain)
Blued action, stainless fluted barrel Kimber Model 84M in 223 Rem. (traded for it brand new in the box)
All blue Sauer 202 Deluxe in 7mm Rem Mag. (purchased for considerably less than retail after the 1999 hunting season)

I think all these guns have appreciated in value since I purchased them, especially the Sauer.

No desire to add another bolt gun. Last purchase was a Ruger Mini 14. New Yorkistan has not yet demonized the Mini like they did the AR and the only restrictions to the stock gun are no flash suppressor and no mags over 10 rounds.

Next rifle purchase will likely be a another quality singe shot or another quality lever gun.

I really hate to ask what you would want for it.

Here, at the big store, used rifles in the category of medallion or entry level weatherby rifles with scopes run the range from $500 to $1,000. I don't go to shows or stores. Most of the time it just depresses me. Been waiting, waiting, to get my hands on a single action. I had started looking, but gee, wife had to have a crown. There went the price of a good bolt and a really good scope.

I agree that it is very challenging to sell a used bolt gun and make a dollar. Their values have plummeted even though many sellers still believe they can get top dollar for them. My LGS has dozens of used wood stocked bolt guns that have been sitting there for years. They can't sell them because they bought them at too high of a price before the big AR boom and now they just sit there. Walk in with a Wby Mark V with a pretty walnut stock and you will hear a resounding NO! before you get to the counter. They have dozens of them, all selling for $1K of higher. If it is really nice, and you have the box and paperwork, they may give you $300 for it...maybe.

I really like nice walnut stocks. To me firearms are like pretty women. Nice to look at but still functional. :) But the days of displaying all of that walnut "skin" in a nice gun cabinet are over. Now we cram our guns into a bank vault where they get dinged up with the same regard my wife gives her brooms in the broom closet. You might as well have the ugliest guns you can find. No sense it dumping a fine walnut stocked rifle into a steel box. And let's face it, AR's are uglier than a naked Hillary. Damn, my eyes started watering at that thought. That's just plain ugly.

Yup, call me old fashioned but I guess I'll always have a hankering for pretty women and furniture grade bolt guns. As long as they are both functional. ;)

The "Fair Market Value" of any thing is the price at which it will change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither acting under compulsion and with both in full knowledge of all relevant information.

Inherent in that definition is the idea of substitution. If I can buy an accurate bolt action gun for $200, I am unlikely to pay $300 for one unless there is something about the $300 that makes the $200 unacceptable as a replacement for the $300 one.

If we look classic bolt action rifles as pieces of art or we want to use them for bragging rights at the gun club or deer camp, then the lustrous blue metal and finely worked wooden stock bring a value. But, if all I'm looking for is something to shoot muskrat trying to burrow into my dam from 100 yards, then it is a question merely of utility and a Browning X-Bolt does nothing that a $150 gun rescued from a pawn shop can't do - and that largely sets the price.

I'm sorry to be Captain Bring-Down here, but I think Kvon2 would be best served to put the Browning back in the safe for a while until the post-panic market has returned to something a little more normal.

I agree that it is very challenging to sell a used bolt gun and make a dollar. Their values have plummeted even though many sellers still believe they can get top dollar for them. My LGS has dozens of used wood stocked bolt guns that have been sitting there for years. They can't sell them because they bought them at too high of a price before the big AR boom and now they just sit there. Walk in with a Wby Mark V with a pretty walnut stock and you will hear a resounding NO! before you get to the counter. They have dozens of them, all selling for $1K of higher. If it is really nice, and you have the box and paperwork, they may give you $300 for it...maybe.

I really like nice walnut stocks. To me firearms are like pretty women. Nice to look at but still functional. :) But the days of displaying all of that walnut "skin" in a nice gun cabinet are over. Now we cram our guns into a bank vault where they get dinged up with the same regard my wife gives her brooms in the broom closet. You might as well have the ugliest guns you can find. No sense it dumping a fine walnut stocked rifle into a steel box. And let's face it, AR's are uglier than a naked Hillary. Damn, my eyes started watering at that thought. That's just plain ugly.

Yup, call me old fashioned but I guess I'll always have a hankering for pretty women and furniture grade bolt guns. As long as they are both functional. ;)

I agree . I never got caught up in that ar thing and I never will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back