Anyone Else So "Done" with Mosins ...

agtman

Jeez-Louise, Mosin this, Mosin that ...

Precision Mosins, scout Mosins, suppressed Mosins, frozen Mosins ... :eek:

Where does it end? :rolleyes:

I pretty well am. I've been selling mine lately to fund "bigger n' better stuff" and guns that I enjoy shooting more.

I'll have to admit though, I took my M38 to the indoor range today and everyone was really impressed with the extreme muzzle blast of the gun. I was, by far, the loudest one there and the flash was extremely bright. It kind of felt good to outshow those poodle shooters with their tricked out ARs! :D

But alas, they just don't do it for me like they used to. I've got something around 2.5K rounds of 7.62x54mmR in spam cans and I'll probably end up selling it all off. It would take me decades to get it all shot up considering I am rarely in the mood to shoot Mosins anymore.

ok this running joke has gone far enough. I started one such thread over in semi auto handgunslast night in protest, and in the last 24 hours 5 of said threads have been locked because of the idiocy of it all. something tells me this one is not going to be long lived either.

I'll make the OP a deal, I'll stop posting Mosin Nagant threads when OP stops making irrelevant comparisons to the M1 garand in every milsurp thread he finds.

I don't shoot my Mosins much but do enjoy reading about others shooting theirs. They do seem to come up in conversation a lot lately but big deal. I personally get tired of AR threads. And yes I have one of those also. And yes I know that TFL has a separate forum for semi autos but not every site does. (THR).

Last edited:
I wouldn't give nine bucks for one 40 years ago. I wouldn't give nine bucks for one now if I had to keep it.

i have milsurp rifle from most countries who were involved in ww-1 and ww-2 with others thrown in and reload them down to enjoy shooting them with out the blast and kick as i,m just shooting paper. some have come cheap and some have came high priced. and no i,m not selling any of them, untill i have to due to poor health. eastbank.

"frozen Mosin?"

In honor of that...Sung to the tune of "Do you wanna build a snowman?"

Do you wanna sport a Mosin?
hack and weld some commie steel?
They're in stock at the store, I just bought four more,
what an amazing deal!
Will you help me strip the cosmo, and sand the stock,
and give it a new crown?
Will you help me add an optic?
(it kinda really needs an optic)
Okay bye.....

Jimro

I'll make the OP a deal, I'll stop posting Mosin Nagant threads when OP stops making irrelevant comparisons to the M1 garand in every milsurp thread he finds.

Actually, I started this as a tongue-n-cheek poke at all those "Are We 'Done' With" threads that recently went into lock-down on the semi-auto pistol forum. :D

Nothing against Mosins per se, but it seemed a more entertaining way of killing time last night than watching another Prez debate. :D

So mods ... feel free to lock this one. :cool:

But since *someone* mentioned Garands, here's another lovely M1 pic for your collection: ;)

I'm in to US vintage rifles, I have a copy of each since we went to cartridge rifles, from the 50-70 Trapdoor to the M4.

But, Mosin's have their place.

I have said several times in the past, that I'm against shooting sports becoming a rich man's game.

The Mosin allows any one to get involved in competition. It can and is being used successfully in CMP vintage rifle matches in the (other) Military category.

If one takes the time to learn to shoot the Mosin, he can be quite competitive.

I'm a CMP MI and conduct CMP Vintage Rifle matches. One of the first I conducted, the winner of the match, went out the night before, bought a Mosin for $119, some cheap surplus ammo and won the match.

Its not just competition, the Mosin is being used by people who's whole lively hood depends on the rifle.

I'll use the example of the Alaska Natives. I spent a great deal of time living on the Bering Sea, as first an XO, then a CO of a couple Native National Guard Units. Up until the last 20 years, though it was somewhat illegal, we were unofficially encouraged to allow these people take left over training ammo for use in their subsistence lively hood.

There are few jobs in these villages, many, or most, feed their families by hunting. Military ammo for some reason has dried up. At the same time, the Mosins were released at the end of the cold war. This gave these people access to cheap (but effective) rifles and ammunition.

If you watch some of the Alaska Reality (sic) shows, you'll see Alaska Natives using Mosins (and ARs, sill ammo available for those).

Of course I don't believe the Mosin is the best rifle out there, for competition or to feed your family, but not all of us can afford high quality target rifles, or when there is no money, a $1000 hunting rifle.

There are few out there who love the Garand as much as I do, but I'm not depending on the Garand or Mosin for my lively hood.

Garands are pushing the $1000 mark, Mosins can still be found for about $200. That extra $800 can buy a lot of ammo for seals and walrus to feed your family.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe in todays environment we'll see another batch of cheap surplus rifles hitting the market. The mosin might just be the last.

The Mosin isn't "done", and I don't see it dying any time soon.

I don't know for sure, but I don't believe in todays environment we'll see another batch of cheap surplus rifles hitting the market. The mosin might just be the last.

Sadly I don't think today's environment has much to do with it, there really isn't anything left. All the variations of bolt action rifles have been imported, and they were all (aside from the SKS, which are importable) replaced with select fire weapons, which will never be importable.

Even if you forget the "cheap" part, the only possible oddballs I can think of are SVT38/40s, which were restricted from import under Clinton, early SVDs (unlikely), and maybe, if the former Soviet states are still sitting on any, Gewehr 43. Russia may still have some reworked K98s, but who knows if they will ever come here, and at what price.

Sold both of mine that I had left earlier this year. Bought a very nice at upper with the money enjoy shooting little dime sized groups at 100 yards way more than the man sized groups with all the noise and recoil that the mosins have. At todays prices for the rifles and the ammo I cant see why anyone would want one. Years ago when they was $59 and a can of ammo was $49 it made sense.

Sold both of mine that I had left earlier this year. * * * At todays prices for the rifles and the ammo I can't see why anyone would want one. Years ago when they was $59 and a can of ammo was $49 it made sense.

What's the current price for a can of surplus Mosin ammo? And is a "can" 500-rds?

You can find cans of 440 for around 38-40 cents a round now, a noticeable difference compared to when I first joined the forum, bot a lot better than any other surplus on the market currently, for a full power cartridge anyway.

I got a chuckle out of this thread. Personally I wouldn't own a Mosin but have a friend that is nuts about them and Mausers. I always tell him I need to buy a couple to use for tomato stakes.

But, we all have different tastes, that's what it's about. If you like old military rifles I'm happy you have something to do and collect. That's what it's about.

If you're getting bored with your Mosins and are considering selling off the ones in your collection, watch "Enemy at the Gates" again, and reconsider. I'm sure you'll end up saving your best 91/30 before you dispose of them all:)

^^^
And let's not forget, only a real POS would be capable of holding the record for the most confirmed sniper kills ever- even to this day.

Interest in the Mosin might be waning being people had to run out and buy 3K rounds to stockpile in a mini 22 rimfire buying frenzy. If you cant feed the beast cheaply people using the Mosin drops off.

Back