Anybody shot an encore 45-70 pistol?

Loud yes (mainly due to the brake!), heavy recoil? Far less then a S&W 29 with full power loads and less than factory 30-30 loads out of a similarly equipped 30-30 Contender.
Wow, I don't find that at all, though as I said, my .45-70 is not a bull barrel, but it has had a full Magnaport job. The only other barrel I have for mine is a 14" .30-30 (no brake) and it is one of my favorite handguns to shoot, and I can til the ammo runs out, both 150 and 170 gr factory loads. Tack-driver.

My 10" ported SSK 45-70 barrel with open sights recoil noticably more than my Super 14, Mag-na-ported 35 Remington barrel with a Burris scope on it.
Cheapshooter,

Need a someone to Tig weld your scope base on that 10" 45-70

Nah, I plan to just shoot it with the open sights. Now maybe if I decide to get a 14" Hunter 45-70 barrel I'd scope it.

Last edited:
I dont have an Encore but I have the BFR 45-70 revolver. Typical Factory loads are not bad. The Remington 405 grain bullets feel like a 44 mag.

The Hornady Leverevolution are a bit more hot but still manageable but remember the BFR is a heavy pistol. The encore would likely kick more.

Back