Anybody shot an encore 45-70 pistol?

My G2 hit hard. I wore gloves and it still felt real heavy. I had no problem with muzzle climb, the tamer took care of that. Heavy sharp hit. I stopped every three or four rounds and took a break. My weak hand top finger got hit by the trigger guard a couple of times but it was protected by the glove. Not as bad as I thought it would be but it got my attention. Somewhat similar to heavy loads out of a Super Blackhawk.

45/70 Encore

I have been using a Contender Super Sixteen for 24 years and it can be loaded to where you can't stand to pull the trigger. My pet load is a 335 grain cast bullet at 1950 fps, and the 500 S&W ain't got nothing on it! Accuracy is better than most people can shoot the gun. My Deer Busting load is Rem. 405 S.P. and 46 gr. IMR 3031. it shoots into 3/4" at 100 yards with this load, but you had better have hold of it and have wrapped an ACE bandage around your elbow first

I had one on a G2. 14" factory with muzzle tamer. Was fun to handloadand was accurate. I am coming to the realization that hard recoiling calipers aren't for me in the Encore. The edge in the frame right above the trigger rips my index finger apart. I used to tape my finger up, but still, it is unpleasant to shoot, so practicing is intermittent at best.

Also had one in rifle length. That was more tolerable to shoot.

I have a 7mm-08 on my Encore that is ported. I've shot several hundred rounds thru it and it is fun to shoot. Like someone else said when I fire at the range everyone wants to know what I'm shooting because of the muzzle brake. Had a 444 Marlin in a Contender bbl. and I could only handload as the reagular store ammo was to expensive, so I sold it. Very easy to reload for the 7mm08.

Last edited:
I have not. What are they for?

Excellent Deer, and black bear round for the Thompson Center Contender pistol. Loads of fun to "blow up" things like watermelons with.

PDR_0148-2.jpg

45-70

Great and accurate comments.
Not the Encore, but I have put rounds through a TC Contender in 45-70. I found it to be stout but manageable.

Yes, +1 about that and others,especially the comment about concentrating on what your are shooting (not bad advice for any firearm).
I bought a 16" Super barrel about 25 years ago, iirc, in a fit of testosterone overdose. I had never fired a heavy kicker before. Well. The first shot took the gun from pointed downrange to 90 degrees vertical and nearly sprained my wrist. Thank goodness that I'd at least had the sense to hold onto the thing, otherwise it'd have whacked me in the head.
I did stick with learning how to shoot that combo and now recoil holds no terrors for me. A benefit.
One Autumn day, toward evening, I was at the range shooting the Contender, standing up, at a target 50 yards away. The muzzle flash and movement of the gun itself must have been impressive....a fellow came over during a break and asked "What is that?" "A 45-70 pistol", I replied. "Geez, you might as well hit yourself with a hammer," was his comment as he walked back to his own point.
Pete

1st off... mine is also a Contender, not an Encore...

I have a 14" hunter barrel ( thats a ported 14" barrel ) that I used for deer hunting for many years... mine has rubber grips & forend, & wears a 2-7 power Burris posilock scope... muzzle blast & concussion are greater than the recoil... with any field rest, I can put 3 shots touching at 75 yards... it recoils, no doubt, but not worse than a 44 mag in a lighter gun... the heavier Encore should be easier shooting... longer & ported barrels will make it quite managable

I have a custom 10" 45 Colt barrel, that I'm now loading as hot as the frame can handle, & the gun makes my knuckle bleed within 6-8 shots, every time I shoot it... I switched to the 45 Colt for hunting deer, as it wears a set of Williams fiber optic sights, with the ghost ring rear... I found the longer gun & the scope wasn't working as good, when I changed hunting areas, to a private thicker woods, with public hunting on 3 sides... the deer were closer, & moving more, & with the 2-7 scope, even on 2 X I found it difficult to track moving deer... the fiber optic works much better... I also started doing more downed tree blind hunting, & had deer close enough, that the longer barrel wasn't an advantage

Never played with an Encore, but I do have a 10" Contender that has seen many miles. Unported, but with Pachmyers and a Burris scope like MWGM, pretty sedate recoil wise with 300 grainers moving along pretty quick. Factory low pressure ammo is pretty uneventful. IMHO, there are CCW type 357s that hurt waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy worse to shoot.

Have any of you 45-70 'Tender owners tried Hornady Leverevolution 325 GR factory ammo. If so, how did it work? I'll most likely stay with my Super 14 35 Remington/Burris 2-7 set up for deer. My current stand location provides the possibility of some 100+ yard shots. However, with the addition of some new stands in denser areas I might want to go with the 10" 45-70.
Even if I do get my loading bench back up and running soon, I don't know if I'll have some hunting loads dialed in by Fall.

NOT THE CONTENDER but freedom arms 4570 not that bad recoil.
But a liked the 454 better just because its a real handgun round.

I do use a 7mm08 in a 16'' encore now thats a peace of work. love it!!!!

The 45-70 is one of those rounds that you really love to tackle. Shot one in a Contender and Encore and there is not that much noticable difference in the recoil. Both had muzzel brakes. However, recoil was still a bit stiff. While I shot one just to say I could do it, I prefer to use a more docile round. Shooting the 45-70 would leave you with the distinct possibility of developing a bad flinch. We had Navy Seals shooting at our range, and as manly as they were, they stated that fact and only shot the gun several times each. A few wouldn't even try it. I am an avid hunter and have hunted for the last 5 years with a T/C Encore in 7mm TCU 15" barrel. It's very accurate (1/2 to 5/8) inch groups at 100 yards and very recoil managable which allows me to practice quite a bit without developing bad habits. I shoot it with a Nikon 3x9 shotgun scope on it. It's cleanly put down every deer I have shot at, (5) in 5 years. If I do my part the gun does what its supposed to do. None have gone over 40 yards. I've got rifles that don't shoot that well. I'm sure the 45-70 will work fine. Just don't like the heavy recoil. Even tried a S&W .500 barrel w/o muzzle brake. Not recommended. Even with two hands it popped me in the nose twice. That was enough, definately port. The S&W .460 and .500 in S&W's performance guns shoot really well, their ported, and pretty accurate to boot!

Yep

Even tried a S&W .500 barrel w/o muzzle brake.

+1 about the not recommended part. Even with a muzzle brake.
It was the single most unpleasant "handgun" that I have ever fired - and I have used a lot of handguns (including the S&W 500 revolver). That cartridge in the Encore hurt right from the first shot (reloads and heavy bullets - 600 grainers).
Pete

Recoil, like many other things, is relative...

One man's heavy recoil may be another's moderate....
I think I have shot at one time or another just about every caliber available for both Encore and Contenders. My 375 H&H Encore rifle being at one end (equipped with a brake!) and the 22LR the other.
I hunt here in heavily wooded areas of MO's Mark Twain National Forest with a 12" Contender in 45-70 during our "Alternative Weapons" portion. Factory muzzle brake, Pachmayr grips, Tasco ProPoint sight and hand loads with 300gr HP's. I liked another posters comment about "hammer of God" to describe it. I draw a crowd at the range when practicing with it. Loud yes (mainly due to the brake!), heavy recoil? Far less then a S&W 29 with full power loads and less than factory 30-30 loads out of a similarly equipped 30-30 Contender. Factory 325gr Hornady Leverlution (SP?) rounds are a bit more snappy, and probably on par with the Mod 29 to me. I am using 300 gr HP's loaded for use in 1885's and have minimal unburnt powder (IMR 4198) in the barrel after each shot. I tried 2400 but got better consistency with the 4198. Your results may differ. For me, it is fun at the range with those rounds, and in the woods, it knocks 'em down where they are hit usually and I don't have to chase their silly arse all over the place.

I have the BFR in 45-70 and my 44 mag kicks harder.

I absolutely love it. I have dropped 3 bison with it at 75 yards. It does take a second shot sometimes unlike my 300 win mag.

I think the recoil is manageable given that my Redhawk has more recoil and my super blackhawk not in 44 mag has way more recoil.

Mel

Back