Anybody shot an encore 45-70 pistol?

Robinson

I want one for deer hunting. Is the recoil of this setup that bad with level 1 loads? I can handle a .44 mag to compare. My gun also has wood grips. Or perhaps I'm better off with something else? I do not want the typical rifle bullet .308, .243, etc. I'd make the exception for the 45-70.

Not the Encore, but I have put rounds through a TC Contender in 45-70. I found it to be stout but manageable. The Contender had Pachmeyer grips. I probably misspelled that pretty bad.

I had a .45-70 barrel for my Contender. I fired it three or four time and had enough. I quickly traded it for another barrel. The recoil, for me, was horrendous and I couldn't manage it. But then, I grow old.

Trying out my G2 later this week, I'll let you know. The Encore is about 12 oz heavier so the recoil should be somewhat better.

I had a Contender 10" Hunter package that I loved, but I stopped Bear hunting, so I sold it...Factory 300 grain loads were only slightly more recoil than my hot .44 mag loads in my SBH...

I packed 350gr round nosed Hornadys in the .45-70 pushing 1550+fps...

It gets your attention, and everyone on the range...

My 12" .357 Herrett barrel with 180 grain spire points was a pussycat compared to that...

But it was fun :cool:

i shot a contender with a real short barrel in 45-70.. it was like the god of thunder coming down from the heavens....

i had a 12 in contender with muzzle break. i reload--mild to wild. yes it can be a handful but with 340-405 cast bullets at 1000-1200fps--fun;). i sold that barrel and bought a 16 incher and put a stock on it--drives tacks. i can knock my fillings out if i want to, but why punish myself? keep your target within 75yds and what ever you shoot at, you own.:D

Picture183-1.jpg

This works for me, although I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner handgunner. Might wack you in the nose. I've seen it do it. Bleeds a bit, too!

Recoil with factory vel 400gr cast is stout, but muzzle flip in not as bad as a 10" octagon .44 Mag barrel (light weight, unported).

Have not shot it a lot (~100rnds) but so far the el cheapo red dot sight has held up ok, although its tough to see the dot in bright sunlight.

And in case you're wondering, the other barrels in the picture are .22 Hornet (scoped) and 9mm Luger. The rest of my barrels are in other cases.:D

Not an Encore, but I just bought an SSK 10" ported 45-70 barrel for my G2 Contender. With 300 gr, bullets loaded to "safe for Winchester 1886" power it gets your attention, and you have to concentrate on your hold, but it isn't anything I minded shooting 20 rounds through. My G2 does have rubber grips, and I would recommend gloves, which I didn't have on, but will next time!

I've got a 14 inch encore in 45-70 with 2x scope, it is no big deal, with 300 gr factory rounds

Like a super black hawk with stout loads

Last edited:
Powderpuff loads

I also call them bunny fart loads, and you may have seen that. I have an NEF .45-70, and if I do get an encore or contender like I'm interested in, it'll be fed my 350 grain cast loads on top of 11 grains of unique. Those are very, very light and should give performance akin to heavy .45 colt loads.

I had a .45-70 barrel for my Contender. I fired it three or four time and had enough. I quickly traded it for another barrel. The recoil, for me, was horrendous and I couldn't manage it.
Must have been a tapered barrel like mine. If so, I fully agree with the statement in bold, though I still have mine. 405 grain loads are pleasant, but a waste unless handloaded. 300 grain Remingtons and Winchesters, OTOH, purely suck! My hand went numb even after Magnaporting.

Horrendous, purely suck, wack me in the nose, stout. You possible scared me out of it.:eek: I'll still think about it, might even consider a .357 magnum now. Looks like you need to say a prayer and watch the movie rambo just to shoot it.

Unlike other handguns (repeaters) where you are expected to control the gun in order to bring the sights back on target for another shot rapidly, with the Contender (Encore, etc.) all you really need to is hang on to the gun.

Yes, it IS stout, and even with rubber grips, its not comfortable with heavier end loads. BUT, in MY opinion, a stock S&W model 29 (with the original factory grips) shooting full house .44 Mag is worse than my Contender with its rubber grips, and heavy ported barrel.

You don't have to be Rambo, or watch the movies, to shoot it. With the right loads, its quite pleasent and fun. When you crank up the energy, you crank up the recoil. There's no free lunch.:D

Horrendous, purely suck, wack me in the nose, stout. You possible scared me out of it. I'll still think about it, might even consider a .357 magnum now. Looks like you need to say a prayer and watch the movie rambo just to shoot it.
Oh it can be done with the right equipment. A tapered barrel is decidedly NOT the right equipment. Bull barrel only, and even then I recommend a brake and PAST shooting gloves, along with maybe Pachmayr grips. Mine has a T/C competitor grip, but a tapered barrel is so light with all that hole, that it looks and hefts like a pea shooter. As I said, Magnaporting (a full rifle job) didn't even help much. A .45-70 Contender needs to be heavy to absorb some of that recoil. My Ruger Redhawk firing full-house 300 grain loads was pleasant in comparison. An Encore will be a bit heavier, but the same advice still applies. Good luck.

Horrendous, purely suck, wack me in the nose, stout. You possible scared me out of it. I'll still think about it, might even consider a .357 magnum now. Looks like you need to say a prayer and watch the movie rambo just to shoot it.

Nah, don't be afraid of a bit of recoil. Your Encore is a bit heavier than my 'Tender G2, and should help a bit. Just look at it this way, you're not really enjoying the full potential of a T/C unless you have a couple "jaw rattler" barrels. Mine so far are the 35 Remington Super 14 that came with it, and the 10" SSK 45-70 I bought a couple months ago.

About the same as a Desert Eagle in 50 caliber IMO. From Contender, not Encore so it should not be as bad with the extra weight. Neither is good for all day shooting but for a few rounds its tolerable.

Well I've shot plenty of heavy loads in the redhawk, super redhawk and plenty of wwb in a 34 oz taurus tracker. Even shot a S&W 29 for a cylinders worth. I'll order it next week. Thanks for the help.

Back