Anybody else just not like stainless pistols?

I don't care for highly polished SS or nickel finishes but matte or brushed is OK. Blued steel and walnut is hard to beat for appearances.

I can appreciate a mild/matte stainless, but nothing highly polished or overly shiny. Would make me feel like a hip hop "artist". Oh wait, they like gold finishes don't they? :o

issue

My first experience with stainless was an issue M66, and I was astounded at how it reduced day to day maintenance. Work an incident in the rain or a monster shift, come home and collapse, and not have to worry about your revolver rusting in the duty belt/holster if you happened to forget to wipe it down and remove it before crashing. My next issue was a M686, and it was more of the same, less day to day worry about taking care of your sidearm. NOT carefree, but a good safety net if you slipped up a bit. The NPS rangers in the beach and saltwater areas were fond of them as well.

That said, my personal collection of handguns only has ONE stainless pistol, that a early S&W Mtn Gun in .44 mag. I like blue steel and walnut, whether in handguns or long guns as well. By example, the M27, or the Python (blued) were just gorgeous revolvers. But I recognize the advantages of stainless and synthetic.....just not drawn to it.

Im not a big fan of stainless. I just like the way that blued metal looks. I know that stainless is probably better from a maintenance/rustproofing standpoint but I just cant get past it.

I do not like polished stainless at all. They are fingerprint magnets and look too much like something that Huggy Bear might carry. On the other hand, I love the look of brushed or matte stainless.

In a semiauto, stainless is not that big of a deal to me, but if it's available, I will usually opt for it.

I still love the look of a blued revolver, and I have had a lot of them. But, I have lately been in the process of selling off all of my blued revolvers and keeping only the stainless ones. Stainless is so much easier to clean and maintain, and to keep looking good. I have 1 blued revolver left that I don't want to sell. I'm seriously thinking of having it hardchromed.

Figured this might be a good place to ask...

I have a polished 5.5" Ruger New Vaquero Convertible in .45 (Colt and ACP). Not a fan of the upkeep of polished stainless, which looks kind of crappy at the moment. Anyone have any recommendations of gunsmiths that can bead blast it for a matte look? I have two or three emails out, but figured I'd look for other options.

Don't care for stainless I like blue or parkerized, shiny stainless reminds me of the old toy cap guns we had as kids.

Screwball,
I have used Scotch Brite pads to polish, remove imperfections and blemishes on several matte stainless firearms.
You can blend and match most factory matte finishes with the correct pads.

Do not use the ones that you purchase for use in the kitchen!!

Go to an auto paint supply store and ask about some #7448 Extra Fine Scotch Brite pads. They are equivalent to #0000 steel wool, and there is at least one other that is finer still.

I would think that with a little time and patience you could easily take a high polish to a matte finish for very little money and minimal effort.

I appreciate blue and wood the most, but love me some stainless as well.
For it's durability and forgiving nature my daily carry will always be stainless, but I love most all things that go bang regardless of their finish.

Last edited:
I didn't care for stainless much after S&W introduced the Model 60, but after purchasing a little NAA Mini Magnum 30+ years ago they began to grow on me.
My New Ruger New Vaquero with glossy stainless finish looks pretty sweet to me.
So does my blued Colt SAA with color case hardened frame. :)

I love stainless. I like the weight of it and easy to clean. I had a used Smith 19 once that was nickel plated which very closely resembles glossy stainless, but had quite a bit of smudge and wear of the plating compared to stainless which essentially never wears. If a gun is stainless, not all are created equal, some are the brushed finish which I personally don't like, they feel/look cheaper to me. If it's stainless I like the glossy, Ruger-like finish, like on their gorgeous single action revolvers. Feels and looks better to me. I prefer blued finish the most though. Some modern guns have the blued look while being stainless steel which gives the best of both worlds. I think my modern Bulldog has that, but not sure.

My first handgun I ever purchased was a SS Ruger New Model Blackhawk.
After that I thought SS was the was to go for maintaining and keeping them clean. Well that lasted so long because my next purchase was a vey nicely blued brand new Smith Md#37. So keeping everything SS didn't last long! ;)
I have my share of both and I've even added a few nickel plated to my collection! :)
I forgot to mention,,,even though I do maintain them and they get cleaned after any range time....I still hate cleaning them blued or stainless!:D

Last edited:
What I'd like to find is a blued, black nitride or parkerized finish on a stainless steel 1911 if those finishes are even compatible with stainless. I'd get the look I want with the durability of the stainless.

Although the last couple weeks I've been drooling over a blued ATI 1911 and a blued Colts Competition. I guess stainless would be better with all that drooling going on. :p

I don't mind and actually really like stainless revolvers.

But autos? Not for me. SOMETIMES it's okay on certain guns like Walther PPKs and a few others, but in general, make mine blued or otherwise black. I especially think 1911s look really bad in all stainless, and it seems it's becoming really common for manufacturers to bring out guns with that finish option only. I'm looking at you Colt (the new Delta Elite)!!

Have only two, a Security Industries 38 snub and my AMT Hardballer. No CCW-
New Jersey-hence carrying is not an issue. Skeeter Skelton said there were no advantages to stainless in the Sonora Desert where he lived.

Well, I'm a fat guy in Texas where we can carry and sweat a lot. :p

9e125b9485db51acbcc0ae9fb070148eef23ea5.jpg

I have stainless, blued, blackened stainless, and polymer guns. I used to hate stainless guns and thought they were gaudy. They have since grown on me, but not for carry. I have a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special that is hard Chromed, but with a brushed finish. I also have a stainless Springfield Loaded in 9mm. Recently I added a Les Baer Concept V (full size stainless 1911) and a Ruger Mark III Hunter in stainless. While this isn't stainless, when I saw the Sig P210 in Silver and I could not resist and had to buy one.

WFxtDdxl.jpg

compared to

210-9-legend-tgt.jpg

As for blackened stainless guns, those would be the Sig P229 and the Kahr PM9. For carry, I prefer blacked/blued guns since they are less flashy and less likely to be noticed if there was accidental exposure.

Don't really mind stainless. Have a couple in the "accumulation". NAA Mini, Charter Bulldog, S&W 645, Kahr CM9 that has a stainless slide, T/C Contender G2 (frame, and two of my eight barrels). and a 10-22 takedown.
A couple more shiny silver beauties on my short list as well.
What I don't like is all the Technicolor guns out there now. Not even completely happy with my Kel-Tec PMR-30 being tan. But for the price, and availability I couldn't pass it up.

Back