Any scares when looking at someone's gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the local Cal-ranch(Wal-mart for Farmers and hopeless Rednecks like me, fencing,feed,etc.). I asked to see a couple of pistols. The guy quickly and carelessly opened the actions, then closed them without me seeing, then handed them to me. I immediately opened the actions when I got them and looked much more carefully.
I didn't ask to see the other two I wanted to handle.
I couldn't keep the thought out of my mind that if this young man continued to handle guns that way an accidental discharge at some point in his life was almost guaranteed.

As long as it's not pointed at me or someone else.
Some years ago at a previous employer a couple detectives from the local PD stopped by.One opened his coat and his sidearm fell out. The boss-and they-were stunned at how fast I scooped it up and cleared it.

I had an AD from an "unloaded" gun go into my left knee. This was after asking the fool if it was unloaded. Keep the muzzles safe and remember the fundamentals. I'm thankful to be walking 18 months later. Check twice. Walk forever

When I was about 10 years old someone in the apartment above us had been shot, so my mom (extremely uneducated about firearms) decided to bring out her old 38 special revolver. At the time, I had never really been around guns, so I have no idea what the model was, but I pretty quickly understood that I did not want to treat a gun like she did that night. She brought it out of her drawer completely unaware of the fact that it had been sitting there loaded for years. She didn't know how to unload it and certainly didn't know the weapons safety rules.

After a few minutes of messing around with it, she tried to open the cylinder while her finger was on the trigger and discharged the weapon. The bullet came pretty close to me, but it didn't hit me. It ricocheted off of the linoleum tile and into the bathroom where it embedded itself into the side of the ceramic tub. She sold the weapon after that instead of trying to learn what she was doing, but I definitely learned a healthy respect for firearms that day. She's just lucky that the bullet hit the ceramic and didn't go into the next apartment.

For 55 years I've been an active shooter and regret to say that I've witnessed
very many examples of careless gun handling--some of which resulted in negligent discharges. I'm guilty of one which blew a hole in my new truck's door.

If, in a recreational setting in the field, on the range, or at home, and we're looking at each other's guns, my rule is to have the actions open if it ain't cased or holstered. I've observed that some folks don't like to be directed in this manner and resist this etiquette. These guys I avoid.

Couple months ago my buddy bought a truck, and I went over to his house to check it out. He lives in the middle of the woods in a pretty secluded area;however, there is a guy who lives about a mile up the road from him. We had just stepped out of the garage, and we started hearing gun shots. Then we heard a bullet fly right between us. We were probably 5 feet apart. We ran into the garage, and waited 5 minutes before stepping out again. All 5 of those minutes there was continuous shots being fired with brief intervals of which if I had to guess was the guy reloading. We then went to step out again. Guess what happened? Two more go flying past us. To this day every time I hear a gunshot out there I cringe at the very thought of that day, and how lucky I was that neither of us were struck by those bullets.

Alabama Shooter: Before handing it to me he is showing me the various things he likes about it and then says; "look at your sons chest".

I look and there is a red dot on there. He moves it around a little and tells me it is well zeroed. I remain calm but move in front of my son slowly.

He then hands it to me, I roll it open and all the chambers are all full.

I actually broke out into a cold sweat.

Oh man, I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just reading your post. You must have exercised massive restraint by not knocking him out cold right then and there (once you had his gun in your possession of course). I'm not inclined to violence at all, but pointing a loaded firearm at a loved one (especially a child) is one of the few things that would light my fuse. At the very least I'd empty the chambers right then and there and commence some very angry loudspoken lecturing.

After his father passed, my father in law brought back his dad's firearms from Arizona (we live in VA). I was over at his house when he unpacked them. I was admiring his dad's marlin 30 30 from across the room and he brought it over to me and handed it to me. I worked the lever to check the chamber and, sure enough, out popped a round. I worked the action again - another round... basically a whole magazine full.

Rule number one.

I agree with you guys, I always clear a gun when handed to me, even if I was just told it was not loaded. Perfect example of this....I was hanging out with a couple of friends the other day, and the one asked to see my .380. Before anyone says anything, he's my best friend and he knows I always have this gun on me (only a few very close friends know that). Anyways he really likes the gun (S&W BG380) and has been considering getting one for himself to carry (he has a gen3 Glock 19 but wants something smaller to carry), so he wanted to check it out. I pulled the gun out, popped out the mag, turned off the safety and racked the slide to clear the round in the chamber, then handed it to him. Even though he had JUST seen me do it, he racked it again just to be sure. He has his CCW permit and also graduated from the police academy and has been around guns longer than I have, so he knows gun safety and how to handle a pistol.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

When I was about 12 or 13, I went to spend the night with my grandparents. They had neighbors who had a kid my age, we were hanging out, and he invited me over to his house for a little while. He was showing me around his room when he stops, reaches under his mattress, and pulls out a single barrel break action 12 gauge shotgun. I knew very little about guns at the time but the action was closed but I remember he told me one of two things (not sure which)
1) first he said it wasn't loaded and then later said he does or sometimes does keep it loaded in case of intruders
2) he said it was loaded but had the safety on.

He asked me if I wanted to hold it and I told him I should get going back to my grandparents' house where I was sure to let them know. I was 6 in 2001 when they had all those PSA's about the young kid pulling out the handgun and shooting his friend when he thought it wasn't loaded ( a true story from somewhere around my hometown ). Even as gun owners, they were obviously infuriated and called the parents who apologized and said they were taking the gun away from him. As far as I know, in Florida, a minor can own a gun and keep it in their room under the condition that it is locked and unloaded.

These were the same neighbors who asked if they could gut and skin a deer in the backyard of the townhouses, which at that point was practically the same backyard my grandparents were living in. I don't know if that's normal among hunters but it rang very weird for them as animal lovers.

I've never had any scares in the past, luckily. Anytime I take a gun from someone, i always double check anyway.

Just don't hand me a firearm with the barrel pointed at me and your finger on the trigger :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back