Any scares when looking at someone's gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My step daughter likes to look at and handle her .22. She likes to practice her hold and aim, also some dry fire. When I take the gun out of the safe, I clear it, I hand it to her, she clears it. Anytime the gun is exchanged between us, we both clear it. And this with all the ammo locked up in the safe. Hope she gets it. Seems to. But I make her clear it any time she picks it up, even if she set it down a minute ago. Accidents happen, let's do all we can to prevent them and teach others to always be safe and check a guns chamber.

"Treat EVERY gun as though it IS loaded...until you check it, YOURSELF".

This statement bothers me. The statement insinuates that once you check it, then you can treat it differently. I was always taught (and firmly believe) that this is not the case. I treat every firearm as if there were a round in the chamber, even though I just stuck my finger in it and know that it is indeed empty. I would advise you all to do the same. Be safe.

Before handing it to me he is showing me the various things he likes about it and then says; "look at your sons chest".
I look and there is a red dot on there. He moves it around a little and tells me it is well zeroed. I remain calm but move in front of my son slowly.
He then hands it to me, I roll it open and all the chambers are all full.

Am I the only one here who would have emptied that thing then mangled it with whatever tool was nearest?

Am I the only one here who would have emptied that thing then mangled it with whatever tool was nearest?

I can't answer for anyone else.

No. I wouldn't have emptied the thing then mangled it with whatever tool was nearest.

Not me, that would land you with destruction of property charges. That said, I would not of have just let the guy walk away without him hearing me scold him for pointing a loaded weapon at my child. He would know right then and there what he did wrong and that he needed to profusely apologize to my child.

Felony Charges

In the great State of Indiana, that is a Felony.

Indiana Code 35-47-4-3b said:
A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

I probably would have, very quietly, and very angrily, advised the gentleman that what he had done was very stupid, very dangerous, and could easily land him in prison. On a good day.

On a bad day, I probably would have been the next case on the docket for assaulting the person. I never claimed to be perfect, and when you mess with my family, I don't always think straight.

I don't care who has cleared the weapon, or that they have shown me an empty chamber... I clear it regardless.

Yup. And I don't even care if I've cleared the weapon myself earlier. I still need to check it.

Dashunde said:

No, but I would have emptied it and he'd have had quite the "conversation". I'd have probably thrown the ammo or something.

I'd have also told him in no uncertain terms that what he just did was in fact a violent felony and if he so much as opened his mouth in protest I would call the police and file charges.

It would have also told him that it would be my last voluntary interaction with him unless there was what I considered a heavy and heartfelt apology to both me and my son, including an explanation by him of exactly what he had done wrong so I knew he understood. .

I was at a local gun store looking for a Kahr PM9 or PM40 to hold. I had read some good stuff online, but there is no substitute for hands on.

So.. The clerk says they don't have any in stock but she has her personal gun by the register. She goes and gets it. It is in a holster.

She comes back over to me where I am standing across the glass case from her. She points the gun and holster at me, pulls the PM9 out of the holster, puts the holster down, racks the slide to eject a round while still pointing the gun at me; as I move to the side she tracks me with the muzzle.

I just left.

I was scared.

The four rules will keep you alive. I drilled the four rules into my sons when they were young and they had to recite all four of them before they could touch a gun. It paid off.

One year the hunting trip was over, unload the truck, clear the weapons bring them in. All rifles should be cleared before bringing them inside again. One of them got missed somehow. (too much confidence in my sons?). My sons 700 ADLSY 308 Win. got laid on the table in the gunroom awaiting cleaning. Busy at work and many other guns to clean first let is sit there for two weeks, the last one to be cleaned. I picked it up and racked the bolt...out popped a live cartridge, safety was off. It makes me sick to think how many friends and family sat on the chair in front of the muzzle of that rifle for two weeks.

Constant drilling of the four rules when they were young saved the tragedy from occurring. It's embarrassing for me to write this but safety warnings need to be passed on. Trigger etiquette is a must with firearms. Kudos to Ayoob for helping me to gunproof my children with his book.

OK, this was more amusing than scary, but it really happened. I was in a pawn shop a couple months ago, and was looking in a gun case while a young salesman was explaining something to a young lady who was looking at a semiauto. He came off as something of an expert on the semiauto pistol. When the shop guy goes to get her something out of the case, I asked if he could pull out a Colt Peacemaker that was in there too. He picked it up, but he couldn't figure out how to open the cylinder to check if it was empty. I was trying to point out the cylinder latch without embarrasing him, and telling him something like "on a Colt you have to pull the latch backwards", and then the guy goes and cocks the hammer :eek: while I'm standing there like "no, no, that's not what you want to do"!
Seems like some younger guys just don't understand the simplicity of a revolver? :rolleyes:

ed

The four rules will keep you alive

this is basically what it boils down to. and the drilling them into your kids is a lifesaver. the ones that donot learn the rules are the ones that add to stats that are worrsome...just one being:

younger children tend to point the weapon at themselves for whatever reason if they don't understand firearms(sometimes due to small hands andor less strength). most of the rest inevitably point the firearm at another person instead of an object(if they haven't been taught the rules).

The beauty of the four rules

I don't post this with any joy in my heart. In fact, I would never tell anybody about what a fool I am if I didn't think somebody could learn something from it.

The beauty of the four rules is the built-in redundancy. In general if you have a mental lapse on one of them, the other 3 can still save your bacon as long as you follow them. I have never had a round pop out of a weapon somebody handed me, but I _nearly_ handed one to somebody with a round in it. I "emptied" Mrs. Halfront's glock and was about to hand it to her when she asked me if it was clear. I assured her that it was and racked the slide. Sure enough a round went rolling across the floor and we both just kind of sat there in silence for a moment. :o I learned a lot in those two seconds.

I'm forever grateful that I was following the rules. I was treating it as loaded even though it "wasn't", I kept it pointed in a safe direction the entire time and I kept my finger off the loud button. The rules, the rules the rules. The rules exist specifically because a person could do something foolish, and I did. The rules didn't keep me from doing something foolish, they just kept me from paying an unbearable penalty when it happened.

When I was about 14yo my sister's friend's parents came over to the house. We were all friendly and they would hang out. Her father was a Georgia State Patrol officer. On this particular day he had bought a new gun and brought it inside to show me and my dad. He dropped the mag and handed it to me. I believe it was a stainless Colt government model. I racked the slide and a big ole 45 round popped out........:eek:

Not someone else's gun, but during a camping trip a buddy asked to see my pistol, I dropped the magazine, cleared the chamber, and handed it to him. At the time I was in the middle of cleaning and sharpening my knife. I took my eyes off him for a second and he picks up the magazine, pops it in the gun, and racks the slide. I could hear the round being chambered and roared at the top of my lungs WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING, and told him to lay it down. His girlfriend got mad at me because I yelled at him and couldn't understand the severity of the situation. Never thought much of her anyway so what do I care. To say the least hes not allowed to touch my guns anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once in college a friend's friend was showing off a Springfield. He drew it from a zipper bag and was jokingly, casually pointing it at me and other onlookers. It was unloaded and he stated that but I was terrified and thought much less of the guy ever since.

Whenever I show a gun to someone, I keep it pointed well away from people. Action open, no magazine, and I touch the chamber. Then when I hand it to someone I explain why I did that and ask them to do the same as a double-check and to make them comfortable.

Maybe that one time educated me on how to make others around me more comfortable handling my and their guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back