Any scares when looking at someone's gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayster

A while back a friend was showing me an old 1911 he had gotten from a relative.

He handed it to me with the magazine out. I asked was it clear and he says sure, I am safe.

Didn't matter to me what he said. I point it at the floor and rack the slide back and pretty as you please out pops a .45 round.

I am thinking son of a............

Safe my ass........

I bet there are plenty stories like that....

Gun safety rule #1...

"Treat EVERY gun as though it IS loaded...until you check it, YOURSELF".:cool:

P.S. Or is that rule #2? Rule #1 may be "Always point the muzzle in a safe direction".

I took my M1A to a gunshow today and stopped by the weapon check station upon entering. I removed the rifle from the case, opened the action once and handed it to the guy. He looked up and said "No offense" as he took it and again worked the action and inspected the chamber.
I said, "No problem, I would have been leary if you didn't do that."

As for scares?
I once had a guy at the range "toss" me a revolver when I asked if I could shoot it. He simply said, "sure" as he pulled the old .38 from the holster and tossed it from about 5 feet away. It wasn't loaded, but I didn't know that as it flew towards me.
I haven't shot with him since then.

Last edited:
On two occassions I've had a live round pop out when I examined a friearm handed to me.

I learned a long time ago to check each gun whenever its handed to me, or even my own when I handle it.

Bob Wright

Couple years ago we went to visit my Mother In Law. Said she wanted me to clean out the hogs and armadillos on her little farm.

No problem (except there weren't any fresh sign) ANYWAY, she said she had a gun and wanted to know if it was good for hogs. Then she hand me this little Beretta BearCat 25 auto..... locked and cocked, and the safety was off.

I asked her if it was loaded, she said she didn't know, hadn't fooled with it in 20 years, didn't know how to load or unload it.

Sure enough it was loaded w/round in the chamber, and again, the safety was off.

My wife got kind of mad, told her mother she couldn't have the gun back, not to mention it wouldn't hurt a hog IF she could hit it. So wife took the gun, (or had me take it) and from one of her nephews got Mother in Law a single barred 410 shot gun, and showed her how to use it.

I took the Bearcat out to see if it worked, it did, but ever piece of brass that came out of the gun smacked me right in the forehead. (Fixed that by changing ammo).

Many moons ago, I started telling anybody I was handing a firearm to that it was 'Loaded'. They all handle it with respect until they know it's clear. Range officers asking to check my weapon before qualifying get jumpy, but better safe than sorry.

Reason I started that is:
Once, I may have been 15-16, I handed over a Browning Hi-Power and said the chamber was unloaded. My mentor pulled the slide back and pointed it at the floor and fired it before I could react! He said he pulled the trigger about the same time his brain said "That shouldn't have gone forward", talking about the slide. :eek: At least his wife only jumped a little and kept cooking!:D

I clear every gun handed to me even at the gun dealership or store. I never take another person's word for an unloaded firearm.

"Treat EVERY gun as though it IS loaded...until you check it, YOURSELF".

P.S. Or is that rule #2? Rule #1 may be "Always point the muzzle in a safe direction".

It should be:
1. keep it pointed in a safe direction
2. keep your finger off the trigger, out of the trigger guard
3. check to see if it's loaded. (clear the gun)
4. go back to #1. :cool:

My son and I were at the LGS and I asked to look at something. The salesman took the gun from the rack and cleared it before handing it to me. I cleared it as soon as it was handed to me. My son asked why I did that and here's what I told him.

"When I saw the man across the counter clear the gun, it gave me confidence that he knew how to handle it safely. When he saw me do it, it gave him confidence that I could also be trusted. It's kind-of like a secret handshake."

When I was a teenager, my cousin and I were camping and we had my old Marlin model 60. It was leaning against a tree and I went to pick it up. He told me that he had unloaded it. I was much more familiar with that gun since it was mine and I knew that if he had simply dumped the rounds out of the magazine that there would still be one in the chamber and one or two more left in the action. I aimed at a can at the bottom of a dirt bank and fired twice before the gun was really empty.

Yeah that happens a lot when people want to act cool like they know everything, even if they are good with weapons if you question something even as simple as that they will try and play it off. Personally, I have to double check and I'm not too big to be questioned, it doesn't make me if someone asks, "is your gun on safe" or anything like that.

I've taught all my kids to ALWAYS recheck any gun handed to them. When my older Son was looking for a pistol, we handled a number of handguns at several stores. One of the salesmen did make a comment about the rechecking and said that very seldom do customers show that level of caution. Apparently, some of his customers were less than optimal with their gun handling.
This Son was greatly offended when he went to a BPS gun counter and they refused to remove the trigger lock so he could actually hold a handgun in a normal firing grip.

Note item 1:

IMG_0944.jpg

I was at a relative's house and he brought out his .22 rifle to show me. It was a tubular mag gun. He handed it to me and stated that it was unloaded. I operated the action and a round popped out of the chamber.

I check the gun even If I am standing there watching the person handing it to me check first. No exceptions, makes for much less chance of getting careless, and forgetting to check.
Fortunate I guess, never had a surprise jump out of any guns.

The one and only time I took one of my cousins shooting he thought he had just emptied a magazine by firing all the rounds. He went to hand the gun back to me to reload it and he pointed the barrel directly at my chest with his hand on the grip and finger in the trigger guard.:eek:

I immediately said don't move or do anything! I sidestepped, grabbed the muzzle and pushed it towards the floor. I took the gun from him and it was empty, luckily. As he was a new shooter I scolded him on his "technique" and said never point at gun at anyone unless you intend on using it.

Never have taken him back to the range and likely never will.

Last time I was at my LGS there was a new clerk that would not check the gun before handing it to me. I was a little annoyed. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back