any one with 6.5x55 experience?

And what she wants she gets!

With my wife, neither one of us busts the bank and she knows what she wants when it happens. The old thing about When EF Hutton Speaks people listen (in this case husbands)

[First pick whether you want a European or American version of the cartridge .There's no sense in using American cartridges in a European chamber especially when the European one has such a great reputation]

Are there different size chambers?

I love the 6.5x55. I had an old one built on a 96. Sold it and bought a CZ550 in 6.5x55. It's a fine cartridge. A 98 Maurer build will be heavy. I personally would not load it to the high pressure data. You will be limited to loading to the "neutered" factory load specs you mention. With every imaginable rifle available in 6.5 Creed, building a 6.5x55 is done as a labor of love.

300wsm, YES , that was my whole point.
starting with the time proven [1894 ! ] the European version was a winner , accurate, low recoil, effective [ High BC and SD ]
Then American makers ruined it by making their case diameter a few thousandths different .I haven't seen actual comparisons but there must be some reports out there.
So if you have a European chamber use European cases ..If you have an American gun use American cases. [ American 6.5 matches the 308 dimensions ] Of course they further complicated things with the 260 :rolleyes:

can i please get a real confirmed rim dia for the 6.5x55. i see the specks at .480 online.
my 8mm mauser rims are at .469.i might have to open up the bolt face a little thanks

my 8mm mauser rims are at .469.

the spec for your 8mm Mauser rims is .473" and the spec for the case head is .470"

The spec for the 6.5x55 Swede rim is .480" and also for the case head. The Swede case is not the exact same case as the other Mausers, (7 & 8x57mm)

Now, you've measured, and you see that the ACTUAL diameter of factory ammo is a little less than the spec. This is intentional, as #1, the listed specs are maximum dimensions, and #2, so the ammo will work though guns that are not at maximum dimensions

I have used R-P brass (though I don't have any available to measure right now, I'm told its the "standard" .473/.470 rim/head diameter.

it works just fine through my 1917 dated M96 long rifle and also works through my 1897 Norwegian Krag. At the industry standard max pressure of 45,000psi, the slightly smaller American brass doesn't give ME any issues.

If you're going to hot rod the Swede, and in a suitably strong rifle, push it to 50-55,000 or higher, I would recommend using the closest match between your chamber and your brass possible.

ALSO, mark the rounds (sharpie or something) so you can determine at a glance if you are loading over standard pressure loads.

The Swede is a great cartridge, delivering flatter trajectories than similar weight bullets in the .30-06, and enough energy to get the job done, even on beasts the size of moose.

120 and 140gr are the most popular, but don't overlook the effectiveness of the long 160gr RNs. The Swede "military" load with a soft point bullet is a great penetrator, and gets the job done in workmanship fashion.

Ammo availability has been mentioned, and its true, not every Walmart will carry the Swede. So what?

I don't really see why loading the 6.5x55 to 60k psi in a modern firearm is hot rodding it. The modern brass is plenty strong. The modern bolt action is plenty strong. Kind of like 45-70. I have boxes marked "trapdoor safe." I have boxes marked "marlin/ruger only." I have boxes marked "Ruger #1 only." I am quite sure the #1 only, would grenade the trapdoor.

I just threw the calipers on both a Winchester case, and a Swedish surplus round.

The Winchester case had a rim diameter of .474".
The Swede military round has a rim diameter .480".

However, the case body, above the ejector groove is closer, .474" for the Winchester, .478" for the military case.

Just to add, the Winchester case has been fired and neck sized 5 or 6 times, the Swede military round is (obviously) a virgin unfired case.

Looking at the actual case drawings from SAMMI and CIP (posted on Wikipedia), the rim sizes are the same, 12.2mm, so the US cases with the smaller, 308 sized rim are out of spec fir the standards.

So I'm a mold ,tool,and die maker not a gunsmith. I called a Smith to talk about getting this project going .he told me the action has to be trued.any one know what that process is? Why is it done?

So I'm a mold ,tool,and die maker not a gunsmith. I called a Smith to talk about getting this project going .he told me the action has to be trued.any one know what that process is? Why is it done?
It's done so that the centerline of the action, the barrel threads and the bolt face are properly aligned. It makes rifles shoot tighter groups and keeps poi from shifting as rifle heats up. In my opinion, It's not necessary in a big game hunting rifle.

My wife hunts with a 6.5 Creedmoor. The deer are perfectly safe with her shooting at them. I tried to teach her to shoot, but she knew more than me. :rolleyes:

And if you were the smart husband, you would get her a Christmas gift of lessons that do not involve you but preferably a female instructor

went to my local gun shop today to pickup some norma 6.5x55 bullets.they had a mod 70 winchester featherweight in 6.5x55. i talked him down to 290.00 so my wife has her rifle lol

I remember in the early 90's, Woolworths had the Carl Gustav Mausers 6.5x55 for $89.00. Straight and turned bolts. Almost bought one, but instead picked up a SS Ruger mini 14 for $275.00.

Back