Any 8mm shooters here?

I know what your saying. I can't get more than three out of five

on target with an M14E2 rapid fire @750 rpm with no buffer system it was a task to hit things past 200 yards. The buffer on the '60 at least let it float in your arms. I fired a '60 in a fine misting/rain one time and I could see the ball rounds tracing in a funnel like cone in the wet air while the tracers tracked another path. I put the target in the cented my eye had seen around the cone and the return fire stopped. The tracers went high left or some place else, it's been a long time. 40 years I think. Thats a long time, or not.

34585x1.jpg

..............MJ...................

I quit shooting the 98 carbine type rifles as the ammo I had was the heavy ball stuff and the little cup buttplates etc. just beat me up too much. Gettin old you know. Still wish I had saved one of the vet bringbacks but I wasn't gonna be shootin them so passed them on.

Favorite 8x57 shooter

This is my favorite 8x57 shooter. Kind of a "faux sniper"
that I put together myself. Leupold two piece mounts with
extra high rings and a Weaver K4-1 steel scope. Timney
trigger. I heated and bent the bolt down to clear the scope
and glass bedded the action. She will shoot 200 grain
Match Kings very well. I've also shot some deer with this
rifle. The rifle itself came to me as a Russian capture.
I cleaned up the stock on it and put some oil on it.

dxr

K98-Sniper.jpg

This is my favorite RC Mauser. Didn't realize that there were any banner RC's at the time that I got it.

bannermauser.jpg

bannermauser1.jpg

It is a total mixmaster, as befits an RC, but the bore is good.

Wow. Makes we wish I had bought some Hakims years ago. When I was in high school, you could buy them out of a barrel in the local gun shop for something like $50.00, if I remember right?

That was then and now a barrel full would be worht what?

..................................:D...................................

G0036.jpg

I just joined the 8mm club! I have a Mauser 98k, made in Steyr, Austria in 1941, and is an RC. 80-90% matching serial numbers, but, my hunch is that the furniture is from a later year.

love shooting it. taking it upstate for Christmas break, for some deep woods shootin' :)

Last edited:
Sorry for the Poopie picture. But this is my 8mm project. MANNILICHER SCHOENAUER Kal 8 NCRM which is the 8 MM short or 8 X 51. When I got the barreled action it had been butchered, rechambered to 7mm. I'm planning on restoring it to original. Problem being, the 8X51 was a .318 bore, not the .323 normal 8mm's. I got the reamer and head space gages but I'm having problems finding a barrel.

Also Reloading data is gonna be fun too. The only mention I've found on it was from Sharps Modern Reloading. He mentions the 8X51 but only says, 'IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE, YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN".

Oh well, it it was easy, it wouldnt be fun.

guns%20013.jpg

I have a 1930 vintage Persian Mauser that is in real nice shape.
I hand load for it and have had pretty good luck with the Nosler 180 gr and the Sierra HPBT Match 200 gr bullets. This has been the only rifle that I can hit torso sized targets with at 600 yards with open sights. I'd like to pick up a Hakim, but the prices around here have skyrocketed for those.

Somebody once cut up a nice 1917 Amberg Gewehr98...

And the owner of the surgically altered rifle owed me money, so I got it as partial payment.

I couldn't leave it in the hacked military stock, and the barrel had already been bobbed, so I did the next best thing, even though I'm usually loathe to sporterize nice milsurps.

I had a new bolt handle welded on, and when traveling in Europe during Desert Storm, I found a nice walnut sporter stock. The receiver was drilled and tapped, an 11-degree target crown was cut, Remington 700 iron backup sights were added, as was a Timney trigger, low-swing safety, and new Wolff striker spring. I had the barreled action parkerized, then glass-bedded it into the new stock.

It's become my favorite deer rifle in the collection. The vintage Weaver V8 variable kind of ties in the 1960s-vintage sporter appearance, yet doesn't overwhelm the rifle like some of the big objective lens scopes seen out there these days.

I handload 170-220gr rounds for the old girl, and have taken both Wyoming Elk and Wisconsin Whitetail. It ain't much in the aesthetics department, but it definitely does the job. :D

I've since converted that 8mm Mauser to 2-piece scope bases, and I've got a nice original Mauser double-set trigger to install later on.

ambergbenchweaverright.jpg

It keeps an 8mm FN-49 company in one of my gun safes, and my two stepsons each have their own full-military Turkish 98 Mausers, so 8x57 is rather popular in our household. ;)

I have been thinning my 8MM Mauser downs and have 14 now
One is a repro K98k sniper, 4 are mostly matching, 4 are RC K98k, 3 are M24/47 and 2 are M48s (one is a BO)
I also have 2 K98k and one VZ24 converted to 308 with new Norwegian K98k NATO barrels. The VZ24 is in K98k configuration

No offense, there is no such thing as an RC that is 80-90% matching.
They were stripped to the last part and only the barrel remained with the receiver. Russian electro pencil is not considered a match. It would be easier to find a lost winning lotto ticket that an 80% matched RC.

I will sell 3 of the 4 RCs at some point but one will remain with me.
The pictured BYF42.
It has no "X", I removed the RC blue, refinished the stock, replaced the bolt with an all matching bolt, replaced the trigger guard and floor plate with a set that matches each other and changed other parts so all parts are Oberndorf and same WaA inspection stamps.
Why do all this? I was getting some 3 inch groups at 200 yards iron sites.
I since put a scout rifle mount on it and first 5 round group was 1.5 inches all with Yugo 50's ammo.
Wulfmann
BYF-42RC-L.jpg

BYF-42RC-action.jpg

I'd like to buy a couple of 8MMs from surplus but not really sure where to look

Whats the best deal I can get on a couple of military surplus 8MM rifles? I am looking to buy a couple different variety of surplus rifles for me and my son so we can have some fun (I mean quality bonding time).

Thanks

A little OT, but I came across a few interesting cases while sorting my range brass recently. They are marked with the Roman numeral "VIII", which I assume means 8mm, at twelve o'clock, "19" at 9:00 and "38" at 3:00, which I assume is the year, and they have the Third Reich wing and swastika at 6:00. The quandrants are separated by lines.

Anyone know if these are worth anything beyond the 1x fired brass?

Thanks.

L-master, those are hard to come by! the last batch I saw on the inner-netz was sold out too fast to get them (the ones I saw were complete rounds, in original boxes, etc).

how did you come across them,? were they in with some MilSurp stuff you had? maybe some re-loads?

I definately think they are worth keeping! if not, I'll take 'em off your hands! ;)

No lie, I got them on a recent range trip, which means someone actually fired them. I am fairly incredulous at that, because I would never have fired them. I'm guessing there were more there, but we didn't get them. They look very similar to 7.62x54R, which I never pick up due to the berdan primers. It's more likely one of my kids picked these up. They're pretty cool looking, I want to polish one and see how it looks, but I'm sure that would lower its value.

Back