Any 8mm shooters here?

MJ1

8X57 s such an old war horse that everyone must have at least one.

vote02.jpg

Please do.

The 7.92X57 needs more press.

bkt126.jpg

Still used in the Balcanastans and Indiastan, Anyotherstan and Africananastan in the MG3. Oh and Yugostan.

I use some 1960's Germanystan 192g LMG ammo and pull 4.6g out of the case. Whoppin big recoilastan.

.............................:D.....................................

I just bought an FN 49 .. but am selling my Hakim t pay for it ..

hak1.jpg

hak2.jpg

I'll get a picture of the FN tomorrow !

Last edited:
I just bought an FN 49

The Rolls Royce of battle rifles.

Doesn't get much better than that. I picked up a barreled action for $350. Got a stock and new handguards that need finished and installed. Even bought a spare barrel for it, even though the one it came with was nice and sharp looking. I couldn't help myself. They were like sixty bucks from Sarco.

I just need to bed that action. To many projects in the works right now. As though that were a bad thing.

8mm mauser is a nasty round. A hair hotter than the 30-06. That makes for a pretty awesome battle rifle if you ask me. A bit on the heavy side, but damn, those FN49's are luxurious, ain't they?:)

I like the round; it's plentiful, cheap, and packs a wallop. I have the FN-49, four Germans (Gew.88/05, Gew.98, Kar.98AZ, and Kar.98k), and two Chinese (Type 88 Hanyang and a Chiang Kai Shek). Oh, and a Portuguese Mauser-Vergueiro M1904/39.

I use the 192g bullet

Made in Germany in the mid 1960's that has 48g of a powder like 4895 in it. I pull 4.5g out so I don't break tings.

vote03.jpg

8 x 57 I?
1904 Steyr Irish Mannlicher
irishmannlicher4.jpg

1915 GEW 88
GEW88002-1-1.jpg

or 8x 57 IS?
98/29 Persian Mauser
Persian006-1.jpg

Transitional GEW 98
GEW98012a.jpg

FN 49
FN49-1.jpg

Hakim
hakim002-1.jpg

Last edited:
Now we are talkin some nice 8mm rifles.

Thanks for sharing. This is a 44 byf vet rifle.

44byf11.jpg

All matching from a relative in the 1970's. No story went with it as to when he got it but I remember as kid seeing missing toes on him and he was an anti tank gunner on a 57mm. He once told me how the 57mm rounds bounced off the German tanks in the Bulge Dec. '44.

Cheers
...MJ...

My old favorite, it's taken out many a deer.:D
K98.JPG

My daughter started hunting at 14 with a 8mm Turkish Mauser, she's now 22 still won't use anything else.

I saw this at an auction site.

If you think of the power and recoile of the 192g service round this is amazing for it's accuracy and high rate of fire. I hauled an M60 for a few years around and could fire it standing from the shoulder, not well but I doubt I could do it with the 8mm.

34585x1.jpg

...MJ...

I hauled an M60 for a few years around and could fire it standing from the shoulder, not well but I doubt I could do it with the 8mm.

I am 6'4" 240#, while at the range one time I was sitting on a fibre glass pic-nic table bench, I tried firing from the shoulder, ten rounds from the FN49 pictured above, At around the 6th round I fell off of the end of the bench, That rifle was pushing me on the slick surface and I didn't realize it.

Last edited:
Back