Answering your door (day and night) armed or no?

Do you answer your door armed?

• Night and Day - I pack and show my M60

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • Night and Day - but it is hidden from view

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Night only or stranger only - condition yellow

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • Never - If you can make it past the bear traps and land mine - you can knock on my door. :)

Votes: 16 11.9%

• Total voters
I have one of the little miniature cameras over my front door.
If the doorbell rings, I click the tv remote to the camera.
I can see my entire front porch on the tv, so I will know who
is at my door. If I don't know them, I either answer the door
armed, or I don't answer the door.

My back door? If they knock on that one, they have climbed
the fence, because I keep both gates locked from the inside.
A knock on my back door would bring about an immediate
"condition red" full alert, with weapons being 'at-the-ready'.

Walter

;) Most of you must live in more rural areas then I do, I grew up in NYC and now live on Long Island. I am careful when opening and answering the door and try and convey that to my family, but I have never carried a gun in my house period. I also have two children, the youngest is 7, so I don't think its safe to carry in that situation, my guns are kept in a locked safe. If I lived in a less populated area and the kids were grown, I'd probably use a shotgun for home defense anyway, its much more reliable for that purpose. Interesting read though, I never thought so many armed people are out there, but then, I don't go messing around other peoples property unless invited.

Me......

My early warning systems are as follows: K9 whom thinks he is King Kong, motion detection lights and.....My hearing is real good. I am lucky enough to live in a lower crime area and have great neighbors that look out for me as I do for them. That said, I still find my day to day status in a low caution yellow mode. I have only armed myself a few times when answering the door. If I don't know who it is, I seldom would take the chance to open the door. If I do the dogs happy dental work is right beside me to show the visitor not to be frisky or he might leave his reproductive organs at the steps. I would sometimes go upstairs and open a window and talk down on the unknown visitor. It keeps them about 9-10' away from me and they have know idea that I have armed myself.... The K9 is one great weapon of deterence in my home.......Just love that Shep..... If I was living in a different area that was known for crime I would have a lot different tactics too... :)

Good luck and stay safe.....

Answering the door

A couple of the comments about a firing port in the door made me chuckle. Do you remember the scene in "Josie Wales" where g'ma was commenting on how religious her son was? "See all of the crosses cut in the doors and window shutters".

Wish the climate was more moderate here. It sounds like a great idea.

Usually I just let the dogs answer the door. They haven't broken it down...yet! They drive off most door-hangers & sales types. I also have a can of Fox OC out of kidlet reach. At night, all contacts are armed & Surefired.

Back