Another pros and cons thread: Red dot v. bead on HD pump shotgun

Pointing ain't gonna cut it for me (perhaps only at 2-3 yards distance). I need a precision instrument that reliably hits and sends no fliers outside the zone of COM at 30 feet with buckshot (mine groups 5-6 inches at that distance) and can reliably place a slug between the eyes of BG, if need be, at that same distance. I'm using 00 buckshot, and because I live in an apt. complex and occasionally have visitors staying over -- missing, which would lead to penetrating thin walls, is a huge issue. Not to downplay the importance of training/practice -- which is THE most important factor in accurate shooting -- I'll take any technological advantage I can to make my aiming just a little more precise and fast...

And the exact reason why a red dot isn't necessary - if your gun fits and you have practiced, that should not be difficult at all.
That works fine with bird shot and small game
Inside with buckshot requires better precision

Targeting silhouettes

triple canopy tends to do that. However, I could still see people silhouetted against the sky.
You don't have to see your head, hand or much else, especially the bead, in the ambient light but as long as you can see a "silhouette", you superimpose the dot over it or onto to it and it's yours. Even if the target is moving, you can track it. ..... ;)

The biggest problem I see with the use of a RedDot for HD, is that in the heat of the moment and you are wakened from a deep sleep, you forget how to turn it on or if you don't acquire the dot right off, you'll think it isn't working. .. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Pointing ain't gonna cut it for me (perhaps only at 2-3 yards distance). I need a precision instrument that reliably hits and sends no fliers outside the zone of COM at 30 feet with buckshot (mine groups 5-6 inches at that distance) and can reliably place a slug between the eyes of BG, if need be, at that same distance. I'm using 00 buckshot, and because I live in an apt. complex and occasionally have visitors staying over -- missing, which would lead to penetrating thin walls, is a huge issue. Not to downplay the importance of training/practice -- which is THE most important factor in accurate shooting -- I'll take any technological advantage I can to make my aiming just a little more precise and fast...

Then perhaps an AR would be better, less overpenetration

That works fine with bird shot and small game

And also inside....how do you think folks hit those small birds at close ranges? With precise pointing while focusing on the target - same as you should be doing with a BG in your home - locked on to the target.

Good point, FITASC! But, I'm moving to NY state in a few weeks, and shotgun is my only option at this point... I was very happy having my sig p226 w. 20 rounds of 9mm as my HD gun, but my circumstances have changed, and I had to sell it (NY sucks!), and now I need to make the best of the shotgun platform -- at least for the next year or two.

And (anticipating possible another recommendation), birdshot ain't gonna cut it for me for HD, either.. :)

All depends on what part of NY you're moving to. The City sucks, I grew up there, but upstate is one of the prettiest places in the country and the small town folks are like those same folks in CA - simply outnumbered voting wise, by the big city libs.

And also inside....how do you think folks hit those small birds at close ranges?

With precise pointing while focusing on the target - same as you should be doing with a BG in your home - locked on to the target.
They don't when it's dark and distances are in feet, not yards

They do it in daylight when they can clearly see both the target and the sights

FINE, keep arguing your circular logic; if you can't see your target in the dark, your red dot isn't going to amazingly illuminate the room, but it just might also fail at the wrong moment. THAT is not the time to learn how to point...
You do it your way and I'll do it mine. I shoot a LOT of shotgun and know how to point in any circumstance - you can continue to rely on battery gadgets instead of your eyes and instincts.........
I'm done with this one.:rolleyes:

The biggest problem I see with the use of a RedDot for HD, is that in the heat of the moment and you are wakened from a deep sleep, you forget how to turn it on or if you don't acquire the dot right off, you'll think it isn't working. ..
The mfg says to replace the battery every year, mine is still going strong at the end of 2yrs and a few months. I'll probably leave it in until I see a noticeable degradation and then replace it yearly as recommended.

If it should fail, then I'm no worse off than if I hadn't had one to begin with as the standard sights are still there.

Back