...another James Bond pistol rant

It is generally agreed by the fans of the Books that Lazenby looked and acted like the Bond of the novels more than any of the others. Fleming never painted Bond "handsome". That is the big reason for the lean on Lazenby; he looks ordinary; a welcome trait for a true spy.

In case anyone has not noticed, AFAIK every dude who played James Bond has gone on record as being anti-gun. :mad: Yet we support their movies. Hypocrasy anyone?
Paul B.

I always thought that the use of a .25 and later a 7.65mm pistol by bond reflected both the European origin of the character and the fact that he was a spy, not a commando.

Granting, he was a former commando/Royal Navy commander, his current posting as a 00 agent required a certain degree of stealth and such.

In the book "Moonraker", Bond and M practice "big bore" shooting with Colt Detective Specials. So, go figure.

Unless people got harder to kill over the last 40 years, why not a PPK380. It worked in the movies then, it will work now. ;) A great new spy caliber would be a 5.7.

The PPk should stay as also the re-surgence of his old DB5. Where we saw the movie the crowd oohed and awed when it saw the DB5 in the storage warehouse. There's alway's some modern super spy if you can't handle the Bond traditions.

Well, Guv, if you want to be a purist, Bond drove a vintage Bentley convertible in the original books; and a Sunbeam and a Lincoln convertible in some of the early movies.

Thing is, other than the Bentley, the other vehicles were current for the time of the book or movie, so putting Bond in an antique collectible isn't really following tradition.

Personally, I think a PPS or MK9 would be the guns for the new movies. Very compact, not flashy, but not anachronistic.

But the DB5 was the 1st gadget laden and most recognized car of the silver screen Bond. And I didn't mean as his main form of transport, but just seeing that car again was a thrill for lots of Bond fans.;)

It was cheesy, but I preferred the convertible Lotus Esprit / submarine, though I was not a fan of the Moore films.

Then again, some of the boats... Hmmmm... the boat chases in Live and Let Die were great.

Speaking of which, why did Bond carry a .44 mag in the later parts of that movie?

(Edit: For those who did not grasp my meaning, the Lotus was cheesy, but I still liked it.)

Last edited:
I have the VHS Live and Let Die and on the cover it is a Ruger Redhawk. In the movie isn't it a 629?

The idea behind Bond is to have that certain "British Class" in spite of the overwhelming danger. Lets face it the Brits are "better" at very few things. But because of the Monarchy they have a certain class.
Astin Martin is hardly the best of sports cars, but it is classy and performs well at the same time.
Walther PPK doesnt have the capacity or thump of most other modern pistols, but its a classic with great lines and its accurate. You can only kill someone so dead. Why make a mess of things?

"In case anyone has not noticed, AFAIK every dude who played James Bond has gone on record as being anti-gun. Yet we support their movies. Hypocrisy anyone?
Paul B. "

Took 63 posts to point out that anomaly.

Ultimate irony:

The latest James Bond, Daniel Craig does not look British at all... more of a Slav in appearance... rather ... very Russian.

New pistol for Bond?

I'm still carrying a PPK (manufactured in 1933) and have had trouble trying to retire it. Just can't find anything as good looking and performance-perfect. I guess the best looking gun right now is the Kimber Solo. That would be my choice for Bond.

So why didn't I replace my old PPK with the Solo? Because when I went to my LGS to buy one I was told they sent them back to Kimber on recall and they wouldn't be getting any more, so I bought a PPS. Ugly. Very ugly. Good shooter tho.

I think George Lazenby, an Aussie, is/was pro gun. Someone made reference in an earlier thread that he used his down time target shooting while filming in Switzerland on the Bond film.

I'd love to see dirty Harry knock that prissy little English twit James Bond up side the head with the butt of his revolver.

Back