" Another day in paradise" - Fred Thompson

Bellevance,
Call it a weapon if you wish. I believe they are simply firearms until implemented in a defensive or offensive task. When I hunt I am not in a battle with my prey so they are still not a weapon in my hand. Deadly they are! But so is my S-K Super Krome 15/16ths combination wrench. It would suffice fine in many battles as a deadly weapon but it is a good tool for the intended job too. The rat I stuck to the wall with needle nose pliars would argue that they too are deadly weapons but he can't cuz he died! See it how you want.
BTW it was me, Quadvet, that made the spin doctor remark;).
Brent

I guess this one comes down to semantics, hogdogs. Call your guns "simply firearms" if you want, but the meaning remains the same. Firearms are weapons. That's what the "arms" part means. The definition of "firearm" in Webster's Third Unabridged is "a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder." Firearms can be put to sporting uses, of course, and that's how we all use them, but my point is they exist in the world first and foremost as tools of deadly violence.

It's fair to say that when we hunt we aren't battling our prey, but if so, that's only because our prey is usually all but defenseless. If the bull moose my neighbor brought home last month had understood she meant to shoot him, I suppose he would have come at her. The truth is that, for the most part, our modern sporting weapons take the "battle" out of the hunt.

Your wrench can certainly be used as a weapon, and so can a toothbrush and a tennis racquet, but the primary uses of those things (by far) have nothing to do with violence. They were designed by their inventors for wholly harmless purposes. The inventors of firearms designed them to be efficent death-dealing weapons, and that's what they are.

I have to say, too, that I'm curious about why some gunowners feel inclined to insist that their guns are not primarily weapons. I wonder if somehow they hope to assuage the sensibilities of people who are suspicious or afraid of guns. For me, I don't have any problem in declaring that I own weapons. I respect and admire my guns for all kinds of reasons. It's a great tradition, collecting arms. We may never intend to use our weapons to kill another creature, but the fact that they are killing tools is nothing to shrink from.

Well Webster must be a liberal scholar.... That was meant as a punny remark by the way. Yes I reckon since they were invented to deal out death and destruction they are officially a weapon. I must concede defeat as I cannot debate that fact. But if guns ain't allowed in heaven... I would rather just stay home! I like the thought that heaven was going to include all the things that each individual enjoyed for wholesome and innocent fun. I intended to build some OUT OF THIS WORLD motorcycles, peterbilt tractors, and to quiet down I would hunt the heavenly hogs with the best dogs and shoot some mystical clay pigeons with solid gold 12 gauges!
Brent

But if guns ain't allowed in heaven... I would rather just stay home!

"If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie, then I don't wanna go."

--Hank Williams, Jr.

Jeff (typing this on his weapon (computer) before he goes downstairs and uses a weapon (knife) on his leftover turkey that he smoked using numerous weapons (firelogs) and with which he'll sink his weapons (teeth) into a juicy, tender drumstick, holding it with his weapons (hands) until all the meat is chewed right down to the weapon (bone), of which he'll then toss the weapon (bone) with his weapons (hands) into a plastic weapon (trash bag) and put it by the curb so that the garbage man can come by in his weapon (truck) and dispose of it properly.)

Having a candidate talk about the 2nd or even guns in general is an exacting science . 20 people with degrees in all kinds of crap are measuring the political winds before the person is allowed to give "their" assesment of the situation . And if that falls flat they have 5 other guys to try and convince you that what they said flat out is really not what they were saying . I would think that the true view of a candidate is what did they say or/and do 10 , 15 or 20 years ago . If someone NEVER hunted but by some miracle were "caught" by the news media ("who called THEM?") knocking ducks out of the skies one would have to suspect something is afoot . For some unknown reason candidates seem to learn to enjoy whatever others like even though they never wanted any part of it for the last 50 years of their life . Sooooo the biggest test is "What were they doing years ago when no one cared what they were doing?"

Jeez, a presidental candidate makes a statement that being at a gunshow is like being in paradise and he gets busted on in a gun forum.

Personally I take his remark to mean that he enjoys being around guns and gun people and the heck with what anti-gunners think. Sounds good to me.
+1. To hold anyone to a literal interpretation of such a statement is overkill. After all, if Thompson had visited a cheesecake bakery and said, "Another day in paradise," would anyone have called him out for imagining there are cheesecakes in heaven?

It was wry humor that most people will appreciate and some anti-gunners will soil themselves over.

I like whta he said. The guy speaks his mind.

Rudy would only say this after walking though the ATF's warehouse of confiscated guns... Same with Hillary, Obama, and the other front runners.

1. The is a bad place to rely on for "news".

2. Thompson is probably the best choice for POTUS after Ron Paul. He's a distant 2nd, but he's 2nd.

3. His honesty is refreshing.

4. His strong belief in the 2A and interest in guns is VERY refreshing.

5. He clearly has an honest shot at the presidency, if the other front guys slip up (assuming a pro-war R can win, which they cannot, but that's another story). Let's just say he clearly has an honest shot at winning the R nomination.

6. If paradise doesn't have hot blonde chicks, fast cars, and guns, then I don't wanna go.

If paradise doesn't have hot blonde chicks, fast cars, and guns, then I don't wanna go.

The beauty of all the afterlife myths, inspired as they are by human fantasy and longing, is that your paradise is bound to contain whatever you want it to contain--fine guns and chicks and cars or dandy sewing machines and silk and canopy beds--and if it doesn't, hell, you'll never know the difference! :D

My wife and I both life Fred.

He's a Southerner, hasn't been a career politician (that one scores HUGE points with us), is an ardent supporter of the Second Amendment and always has been (that is a must, goes without saying), is pro-military but doesn't want us to be the world's only policeman and thinks Washington is filled with nothing but candy asses.

I'll take a guy who speaks his mind rather than speaking photo ops or staged quips.

Jeff

Guns are earthly devices, like TVs, Mack trucks, chainsaws, toothbrushes, cell phones, and gas grills. There is no place and no need for any of that stuff in paradise, where every creature enjoys perfect eternal peace. No violence. No loud noises.
no guns..no gas grills? NO BBQ????

i'm staying here....

Fred Thompson said:
"'Another day in paradise', Fred Thompson called his trip down an aisle of rifles, shotguns and pistols at a South Carolina gun show (11-25-07)."

What do you people have against guns and Paradise?.... :rolleyes:

What do you people have against guns and Paradise?

Nothing. But they just don't go together, not the way I look at it. I love guns. I also love the peace and exhilaration I feel when I'm swimming in the ocean. But I don't take my guns into the surf--and I sure don't miss them, don't even think about them.

The analogy isn't perfect, but if there is a paradise and if it looks anything like the pure paradise described in the most popular religious mythologies, it's a fantastical garden free of violence and pain and suffering and destruction of life. The bliss of paradise would be like the soothing embrace of the sea. If you were there, you wouldn't give a thought to guns or shooting or, no doubt, all kinds of earthly things that once rang your bell. Paradise, to us contemplating at it from our earthly perspective, would look pretty damn boring. But if you were there, you'd be totally content, bobbing up and down on waves of mild joy.

Then again, since paradise is a dream and therefore subject to personal whims and yearnings, I guess your dream can have in it whatever you want to have in it. In its traditional form, though, the vale of paradise would offer few ordinary pleasures. ;)

Since you don't believe in Paradise, will you please stop diverting the subject to whether or not you could have guns there? You're engaging in pointless mental masturbation.

Hey, sorry to get your dander up, 9mmHP, but I was just trying to provide a direct answer to a simple question. Whenever it's discussed in relation to the things we know about through experience, paradise can be treated only as a literary or religious concept, like Middle Earth or the Elysian fields. Belief, in that context, doesn't really apply. :)

Back