" Another day in paradise" - Fred Thompson

Creepy

Thompson's a creepy character who's wasting great amounts of time and money on a hollow, futile campaign. He won't get anywhere near the Oval Office. And even if there were a place called paradise, you wouldn't find any guns there, alas.

Thanks, I had no idea, just seemed like kind of a reckless statement and I was wondering what you guys thought. This is where I get my news.

Thompson is the king of stupid statements. When I was in undergrad I worked on his senate campaign and the handlers often had to work hard to soften the blow of his off the cuff remarks.

The thing about him, though, is that he speaks his mind and is not afraid to do so. I think the best quality of a leader is not playing word games and just saying what you think. He excells in that regard.

Unfortunately, I do not think he has a real chance at the Presidency because Americans seem to want politicians and not statesmen.

No guns in paradise???

I guess I ain't gotta live right no more!!! I had hoped to shoot skeet in heaven with the saints. I can't believe a post on a gun forum would suggest that there is no guns in paradise. Paradise on earth surely does and I hope the heavenly paradise is full of guns to pass time and enjoy for all eternity.
Fred Thompson is one repub I consider voting for. If he has a chance at winning is questionable at best. I don't see much to vote for in others and doubt any are a shoe in to win the presidency.
Brent

Thompson's a creepy character who's wasting great amounts of time and money on a hollow, futile campaign. He won't get anywhere near the Oval Office.

Well, crap. I guess we can just vote for Rudy or Hillary, then.

:D Well said, divemedic.

I'm curious why people on a firearms board would take issue with Thompson's comment? Why is it "reckless" to suggest you actually enjoy shooting and shooters, as opposed to the usual insulting pandering from the statists? Perhaps we would rather hear a bunch of suits and 11th-hour converts waxing eloquent about the joys of crawling through the brush with a trusty shotgun, or the latest goose hunt ("hurry up and fetch the Senator's goose, you dull rube!"). Because, as all good elitists know, the Second Amendment is only about hunting, with due allowances for reasonable restrictions, right? :rolleyes:

Right. No guns in paradise.

I can't believe a post on a gun forum would suggest that there is no guns in paradise. Paradise on earth surely does and I hope the heavenly paradise is full of guns to pass time and enjoy for all eternity.

I love guns as much as the next true patriot, but guns in paradise? Man, you gotta be kidding. Think about it. Paradise? With weapons? It's absurd on the face of it. It's a flat-out contradiction! Paradise, the way I imagine it, is a place of profound satisfaction, sweet bliss, and utter, uninterrupted peace--for everyone who achieves it. Guns are earthly devices, like TVs, Mack trucks, chainsaws, toothbrushes, cell phones, and gas grills. There is no place and no need for any of that stuff in paradise, where every creature enjoys perfect eternal peace. No violence. No loud noises.

But hey, as I say, that's the way I imagine it. Your imagination certainly may differ. The worth and purpose of any mythology lie in the ways its misty and surreal comforts may be tailored to individual tastes. Anyone is free to imagine heading off to paradise with 76 virgins waiting there just for him, or a trackless ski slope, or a pink-sand beach, or a tree-canopied shooting range with unlimited free ammo. Whatever the source of a person's deepest joys and satisfactions, that's bound to be a feature of the paradise he envisions. Nothing wrong with that.

Only, really, isn't it kind of bogus, the whole cultural/religious notion of an afterlife? But never mind; the pretty dream in all its variants is a relief to millions, and if you want Sigs and Colts in your pretty dream, or virgins, or golden bathtubs, or kegs of Knob Creek, that's your right as a free citizen in America, where all of us are free to seek solace in the belief system of our choice. ;)

Last edited:
Guns are rarely "weapons". Usually they are peaceful pass time tools used while engaged in a peaceful sport. I don't consider a gun a weapon when hunting or shooting clay pigeons. I sure hope we got an endless supply of clay discs in heaven too!
Like I also stated "paradise on earth"... in every venue considered paradise here on earth, there will be guns around to insure that tyrants do not impede on that paradise. Or to some paradise is a place (resort if you will) where you can go and "get away from it all" shooting unlimited rounds at doves, geese, clays or anything!
I would rather have a remark like that by Thompson than some spin doctor telling me that another candidate didn't really mean they were against the second amendment rather they are just against guns in the public hands...
Brent

Maybe Paradise was just a poor choice of words for a Presidential candidate, but I agree with the sentiment. When I want to relax I handload or shoot. I read gun magazines, and spend too much time on online forums and looking up data. I have other interests too (photography, play in a jazz band, reading novels), but I really enjoy the shooting sports and collecting firearms. Walking through a decent gun show after a long day at work can indeed seem like paradise.

I was listening to Fred on the Mark Levin show tonight and find him quite interesting as a candidate. If he is not to your liking, that is the beauty of our system, just vote for someone else.

Guns are rarely "weapons". Usually they are peaceful pass time tools used while engaged in a peaceful sport.

Sorry, but guns are always weapons. Always. Undeniably, that's why they were invented--to kill other animals--and further, to no small degree, that's why we admire and revere them (for their forbidding power), whether we use them that way or not.

Yes, guns are weapons, and the paramount lesson of gun ownership is that all gun owners must never forget that basic truth. Whether you're shooting clays or plinking at cans, the elegant, efficient piece of iron in your fist is a deadly weapon and you are responsible for its proper use.

I think people are really getting their panties in a wad over a simple statement by Thompson. No wonder politicians constantly search for the right words so to appease the masses.

God forbid his statements are taken out of context....

Do any of you really think he said that because he believes in material possessions in "paradise"? Do you honestly know what his context of "paradise" was?

Give the guy a break...

Jeez, a presidental candidate makes a statement that being at a gunshow is like being in paradise and he gets busted on in a gun forum.:confused:

Personally I take his remark to mean that he enjoys being around guns and gun people and the heck with what anti-gunners think. Sounds good to me.

When, where? I was at the SC show most of the day on the 25th. I did get there early and left about 2PM.

Correction, disregard. I was there on the the 24th. When you get to be my age you will also have trouble with dates!

Anyway, he is wrong. Paradise is a day at the Knob Creek (KY) machine gun shoot. A line of full auto's including, Thompson Sub's, Browning air cooled 50' & 30's, an electric .30 mini-gun, a quad 50, and even a flame thrower one year, all shooting at once....now that's paradise.:cool:

"'Another day in paradise',

Amen, and Hallelujah!!! Can I get a witness!!! Testify, Brother Fred!!!

just seemed like kind of a reckless statement

Jeez, guys, give the man a break. He clearly meant to express that he enjoys either the people or the atmosphere (or both) associated with gun culture and gun shows. I don't read that to mean he expects Heaven to look like a gunshow in SC.

Thanks guys. I reckon "bold" and "reckless" were poorly chosen words for what I meant.

tim225 said:
I would rather have a remark like that by Thompson than some spin doctor telling me that another candidate didn't really mean they were against the second amendment rather they are just against guns in the public hands...
Agreed.

Sounds like Bolshevik to me.

"Another day in paradise" is a garbage phrase thrown out for public consumption.

If he was a real gun nut, he would've flexed his muscles, done his best Macho Man Randy Savage impersonation, and intoned "Did you get your tickets to the "gun show?" :D
Then he would have said "cool, I been needin' a new AR lower" and wandered off.

At least that's what I do. :o

Because links go down

Somber Thompson just being Fred
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
November 25, 2007
Article tools
E-mail Share
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Single page view Reprints Post Comment Text size: AMES, Iowa - Fred Thompson says his often-dour demeanor simply reflects his seriousness about the issues facing the country. "I'm just Fred," he says, and the image that's served him through a successful political career won't be changing.

Thompson, who played a gruff district attorney on television's "Law & Order," offers precisely that image as he campaigns for the GOP presidential nomination. He's generally serious and direct, with little of the backslapping and joking of many of his rivals.

"I laugh when I am amused and I'm amused a lot," said Thompson in an interview with The Associated Press. "When I'm talking about terrorism, when I'm talking about bankrupting the next generation, when I talk about what is going on in Washington, I am not amused. I don't think it's funny."

He said he's "no less chirpy" on the campaign trail than when he won election and then re-election to the U.S. Senate in Tennessee.

"There's only one thing I can guarantee and that is I will be me, and it's served me pretty well politically," he said.

Like most of the candidates for the GOP nomination, Thompson is seeking to convince Republican primary voters that he is the natural heir to the political legacy of President Ronald Reagan, a former actor who was known both for his staunch conservatism and his sunny disposition.

Thompson has a take on Reagan's political success that plays into his own strengths.

"Reagan's success was that he was Reagan," said Thompson. "When he did his television presentations, when he made his speeches, it was not all sunlight and music and a walk in the park.

"That was pretty serious stuff; he was talking about the Soviet Union. When he was talking to the American people, the thing that was successful for him was that he believed in what he was saying and it came through."

Thompson said he's seeking the same kind of conservative consistency, albeit with a different style.

"Everybody's different; if you try to be somebody else, you're making a big mistake," he said.

His own acting background left an expectation with many about how his campaign would unfold, Thompson said.

"I know that I don't fit the stereotype of a lot of people's notion of the perfect candidate," he said. "They expected me, some in the media expected me to be well scripted and slick and I am neither. I'm just Fred. What you see is what you get."

In the interview, Thompson said, "I don't take myself too seriously, but I take what I'm doing pretty seriously. Where that comes in on the happy scale I'm really not sure."

When Thompson entered the race, many saw him as the perfect candidate for conservatives who find flaws with the record of rivals like Rudy Giuliani.

Since he entered the race, however, Thompson's performance has been mixed with occasional stumbles. He professed himself happy with the state of the race barely six weeks before Iowa Republicans launch the presidential nominating season with precinct caucuses Jan. 3.

"I think all things considered I'm in pretty good shape right now," Thompson said. He said his sense is the race in Iowa is tightening, though rival Mitt Romney is relying heavily on the outcome.

"I'm told he has more people on the ground than all the other candidates put together," Thompson said.

nukemjim

Back