Ammo Panic Ending?

but can anyone else say, I don't have any of these shortage problems.

I don't have any of these problems. I shoot once a week, reload everything I shoot except 9mm and .22, and live at the edge of the earth. My wife or I go to town 4 times a year and stock up on food we don't create and other supplies. I'd guess I have enough components to shoot at my current level for 21/2 to 3 years.

Shortage? What shortage.

I don't have any shortage problems. In fact sold off some excess.
Same here. Sold some guns and ammo to some friends in need.

I've learned the lessons and have been stocked up since the last two panic buys (what was that about a decade or two back now?).

I was even buying a case of ammo every couple months for the past year to hedge my bets against the upcoming presidential election. If Biden get's elected folks will go crazy again like they did when Obama got in.

Sold a friend a little bit of factory 45 auto SD I had laying around. Said he didn't realize he was down to his last 5 rounds :rolleyes: and the local farm n barn was picked bare. Whatever, I didn't give him a break on the price.
My only 'panic' is realizing my local reloading shop is out of 280ack brass...oh well that can wait.

I was in our local small LGS yesterday. He said the distributors are pretty much sold out of ammo and looking at a restock date around the end of April. Which is really not that long, considering a lot of ranges are closed anyway so not as much shooting.

Maybe the panic is over

Posted on Powder Valley

Attention!!
Due to High order Volume you will experience delays in shipping. Expect a 10-12 Day Delay If you receive tracking and it doesn't move that night, don't be alarmed. We will be creating labels in advance to help get shipments out quicker.

Currently Shipping Orders Placed 3/22 & 3/23
Updated 4/2/2020 8:00

Reloading supplies are getting bought up, and the lgs hardware store is out of common handgun ammo. I hope this simmers down.

Our LGS is closed.
Despite them being able to be open, they closed up shop.

It could be they sold out of everything & it could also be that they just decided to give their employees a little "raise" by laying them off.

A lot of local businesses have been doing that - laying people off so that they can collect unemployment and the extra $600 a week stimulus money.

I hope all those folks enjoy the $1.00 a round for rifle ammo and $1.50 a round of 9 mm ammo spent during the recent buying spree.

I haven't noticed any panic buying but in reality when all this stuff started I was already well stocked. I make it a point to always buy supplies every pay period. This philosophy helped me through during the recent 8 year drought we experienced. I was not affected by it.

I’m guessing the panic will end long before the shortage does. It always takes industries some time to recover from unexpected increases in demand. While I think many of the millions of new gun owners will never shoot more than 100 rounds through their guns, a certain percentage of them are bound to find out that they actually enjoy shooting. Adding millions of new customers in such a short period of time will cause a market disruption. I expect another spike as the election approaches, I’m just hoping it’s not as drastic as the one we’re experiencing now.

Got caught short on small pistol primers, might have to go to the range only every other week for a while. ;)
Actually did get caught short on 7.62x39mm ammo, picked up a firearm in that caliber kind of unexpectedly, but I can cast and handload for it for some time with no problem.

I’m guessing the panic will end long before the shortage does. It always takes industries some time to recover from unexpected increases in demand. While I think many of the millions of new gun owners will never shoot more than 100 rounds through their guns, a certain percentage of them are bound to find out that they actually enjoy shooting. Adding millions of new customers in such a short period of time will cause a market disruption. I expect another spike as the election approaches, I’m just hoping it’s not as drastic as the one we’re experiencing now.
I agree, until all the shutdowns and lockdowns are over, it's going to take the manufacturers time to catch up. I can say I'm glad I got what I could for primers two weeks ago because primers are going to be unavailable for the next 6 months as manufacturers focus on producing factory ammo.

I did a couple of fair-sized orders from PV a couple weeks ago and they were just shipped. I'm not getting excited about it, I just pretend is Christmas when the same thing usually happens. On the other hand, I also did an order from Rocky Mountain Reloading 7 days ago and haven't heard a thing in response to my inquiry on what the status of the order is and the money was taken out of my account immediately.

no end in sight, the ammo shortage could take a few years to get back to normal, it's happened before, I stopped shooting my 9mm & 45 for 5 years because of shortages / ammo limits / price increase

just few years ago dealers wanted $40 for a box of standard 9mm 115 gr fmj range ammo

and $100 for a box of Winchester WWB 100rd value pack 45 acp 230 gr fmj range ammo.
Through all the ammo panic buying over the years I've never seen prices like that. Maybe double the normal prices but, never $100/box for anything.

I wasn't overly concerned about shortages until last night. I had been considering buying a .327 Federal revolver or a .32 ACP pistol for awhile, but always put it off in favor of more common cartridges. I saw last week that while 9 mm, .40, and .45 ACP were out of stock everywhere, the various .32 calibers were still available. I went to make an online purchase last night, but noticed that now even the .32 calibers were out of stock on multiple websites (unless I was willing to pay $30 for a box of 50 FMJ rounds). I figure that things might be getting bad if even the obscure calibers are getting hard to find.

If there is an ammo shortage, I guess its time to sell off some of my surplus and make a nice profit. I could have done the same after the Sandy Hook shooting, but was concerned about replacing my inventory. The ammo manufacturers will eventually catch up to demand and prices will drop once everyone is either stocked up or out of money to buy more ammo.

I told myself never again after the last panic. Well, I messed up. I have plenty of everything, but dropped the ball on small pistol primers. I only have 400 on hand. :(

We had to go to Walmart just this morning to pick up a prescription.
While waiting for it to be filled, I waddled back to sporting goods to chech out the ammo situation.
It was pretty sparse - - except for .22lr !!!! of all things!
They had tons of Blazer .22lr, but, not being able to get to a range to shoot it, I passed on it.

Back