Ammo Panic Ending?

Swifty Morgan

I'm seeing sites saying shipping times are back to normal, not that I noticed a difference during the initial insanity.

What does everyone think? Is the ammo panic ending, or should I buy my weight in .22 LR?

New gun owners are finding that the single box of ammo they bought ith their new gun goes a long way - - when there's no place to go shoot that new gun.

Vd3uwBAl.jpg

FedEx just dropped this off on my porch 10 minutes ago.

I went on my normal weekend walk through my local gun store. I do most every weekend. There wasn't a lot on the wall as far as guns go, but they had AR's and some stuff left. They received some ammunition and I was able to buy what I needed for 22 magnum. 22 LR was in stock and his prices were normal. His stock wasn't what it was, but I got the impression the run was over.

He said it might take a year or so to build up the inventory and I mentioned that is probably not a bad problem to have. But he did say that as long as people kept coming in/buying while he built up the inventory it would be fine. I kind of see his point.

Found two really nice deals on Mini-mags today, but I passed them up. Thought I'd give someone else a chance.

Not sure about it, though. Seems to be very good ammo, I go through a lot, and a good deal is a good deal, even when there is no panic.

no end in sight, the ammo shortage could take a few years to get back to normal, it's happened before, I stopped shooting my 9mm & 45 for 5 years because of shortages / ammo limits / price increase

just few years ago dealers wanted $40 for a box of standard 9mm 115 gr fmj range ammo

and $100 for a box of Winchester WWB 100rd value pack 45 acp 230 gr fmj range ammo.

The panic is over for the most part. Supply chains take a bit to react and we had a surplus. Going to go by my LGS today and take a look.

Hal said:
New gun owners are finding that the single box of ammo they bought ith their new gun goes a long way - - when there's no place to go shoot that new gun.
I doubt many of the new, panic buyers had any intention of taking their new guns to the range. I'm sure they bought them for the sole purpose of defending their castles against the hordes of marauding toilet paper thieves during the pandemic.

I was weak and ordered some Mini-mags. I keep thinking about having a K31 and very little to shoot, as well as only a few rounds of 7N1 out of a can I thought would last forever.

I figure I should be able to forget about buying .22 LR up into 2021, but what if I'm wrong?

I should go buy some more just in case. And some toilet paper.

My LGS (suburb of Denver) was generally stocked, but at a little lower levels than before.

They have several new and used pistols, rifles and shotgun. They had all common caliber of ammunition.

I'm going to try again this weekend, but ammo was pretty much wiped out last weekend in Kentucky. I've got some in reserve, but want to find some 9mm and 5.56 to shoot.

I doubt many of the new, panic buyers had any intention of taking their new guns to the range. I'm sure they bought them for the sole purpose of defending their castles against the hordes of marauding toilet paper thieves during the pandemic.
Yep - there is that aspect too.
I didn't want to pop the cork and let that genie out of the bottle though..

Buy when it's on sale . . .

For the most part the only ammo I buy is 22 LR, 22 mag and shotgun ammo. Everything else I reload myself.

I buy 22LR when it's on sale and I can get it for less than 5 cents a shot. The 22 mag I buy when I need it, same with shotgun ammo.

Anyway the practice of buy 22LR when it's on sale (and I don't get more than a brick at once) has led to seriously large amount of 22 lr ammo on hand. My wife noticed and wondered about it. I told her that if the apocalypse fables actually come true . . . it will become currency! We are not preppers, but she was okay with that.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I think it is along with the food panic buying. People were concerned that we were going to be locked inside our homes for months like in China, but that hasn't happened and it's doubtful it will, so it's not preparing for the end of the world anymore. Now it's more like weathering a viral storm that is going to be with us for another 6 weeks.

I did do one panic buy for primers last week online after seeing everyone was sold out. $40/1000, plus tax and the $20 fee, but I made sure to get enough so I could load up while the range is closed.

Better to be a smart @ss than a dumb @ss.

Hand loading can be as easy as making a grilled cheese sandwich or as complex as you care to take it.

Then I see people selling things and say “for sale, sig p365. Carried every day but never fired plus one box of ammo” and I just read it again and again, stunned.

Back