Aluminum revolver for .32 ACP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got interested in 32 caliber handguns because my wife has damaged wrists, and because my daughter was interested in shooting handguns, but was concerned about recoil (she was only 8 or 9).

I am comfortable with 32 H&R magnum for SD. It doesn't have much recoil. My daughter didn't mind shooting it by the time she had been to the range a few times and shot 22's and 32 S&W longs.

I would prefer to be holding one of my 44's or 45's or 357's in a time of need, but from what I have read, 32 H&R magnum is about as effective as 38 special, and I wouldn't feel unarmed if I had one in my pocket.

I am not comfortable with using 32acp, 32 S&W, or 32 S&W long for SD. To me they seem underpowered and I wouldn't feel confident with them. Although if someone has physical problems and can't handle very much recoil at all, 32 S&W long is a much better choice than a 22 and doesn't seem (to me, anyway) to have much more recoil.

Actually, depending on how they fit your hand, a 32acp pistol can be kind of "snappy". I have a CZ70 that doesn't fit me well, and it jars my hand unpleasantly when I shoot it.

The 32 calibers are fun for the range or plinking in the right gun, that's for sure. I have a Ruger Single Six in 32 magnum with a 6.5" barrel that is a pleasure to shoot and quite accurate. My Beretta Model 100 has a 6" barrel and adjustable sights, it is also a lot of fun. My daughter's favorite is my Colt 1903. It has gentle recoil and she is quite accurate with it, even though its sights are small.

I bought 200 rounds of WWB 32acp because it was cheap and available. It turned out to be very unreliable in my European 32acp pistols. I ended up shooting most of it out of my 32 magnum revolvers. I didn't notice that it was particularly inaccurate, but that might have more to do with my mediocre shooting than anything else. I didn't shoot it out of my 32 S&W long Hand Ejector because I was worried that 32acp builds up more pressure than the revolver was designed to handle.

So yeah, I am a real fan of 32's. I am okay with the magnum revolver cartridges for SD (especially the 327), but the other ones are just for fun.

Here is my Mauser Model 1914 in 32acp. It is a WWI veteran and still a pretty good shooter. I take it to the range with me from time to time.

Mauser201914_zps3r12ensa.jpg

Last edited:
"why" in 32 ACP?
I looked at .32 H&R magnum and .22 magnum but those are above 300 ft/lbs. Some other .32 for revolvers go under 800 fps. The .38 Special is still a bit much as far as recoil is concerned. (I'm talking about specific messages I read saying some females didn't want to shoot either a .38 Special nor a .380 ACP.)

"would be very small- a true pocket revolver"
Yeah that's possible but it could be in a handy size like the Ruger LCRx (in .22) with 3" barrel but Canadian model with a 4.2" barrel. Taurus once made a .380 ACP revolver but that one had an adapter that I read would jam the gun (besides the .380 and .32 are different in that the .32 is semi-rimmed so should work easier in a revolver).

"the 32acp on his own perceived "energy gap" that really means nothing"
lol, I certainly have my fans on this site. I'm talking about flexibility because .32 ACP ammo I saw could vary from 126 to 177 ft/lbs of energy.

"The Western Hemisphere has no interest in the .32 caliber revolver"
I already posted links to Youtube videos showing 18 to 20 inch penetration in ballistics gel with .32 ACP in FMJ and inside the "right zone" (from 12 to 18" if I remember correctly) with Underwood Xtreme Cavitator ammo. The thing is, there was a Youtube video were someone said he could actually "feel" the Underwood ammo having difficulty feeding from the magazine. He said he thought it was due to the ridge built into the bullet but from what I've seen, to me I'm guessing it may be an intentional design to cause a larger cavity channel. So, firing this in a revolver may solve that feeding issue. And, you could fire FMJ at the firing range to practice so that if anyone was shot accidentally, the cavity channel from a .32 ACP in FMJ would be narrower than other ammo.

"I got interested in 32 caliber handguns because my wife has damaged wrists, and because my daughter was interested in shooting handguns, but was concerned about recoil (she was only 8 or 9)."
See, my fans on this site love to point out that I don't have much experience with real guns yet there are still messages like this on this site. (And this is not the only one I saw like this.) Lower recoil could be a marketing strategy for this type of gun (or as a training/practice gun or even backup gun).

Why no 32 ACP revolvers? The only reason to accept the compromise of 32 ACP power is if you need a truly small concealable gun. If that's what you need it's possible to make a semiauto much smaller than a revolver. Pictured are a Kel-tec P32 and an S&W I frame revolver, which is smaller than the current J frame used for 38 Specials. This one happens to be in 22LR, but it wouldn't be any smaller in 32 ACP.

Note that the revolver is bigger in all dimensions, even if it had a snubnose. It's also a lot wider.

I agree that instead of getting a thrill up his leg about a .32 ACP revolver, he'd be better off just getting a .32 S&W Long or H&R revolver.

That would be my advice. But he is in Canada and most likely can't own a handgun. Plus I have asked him twice what his age is and he refuses to answer. So I suspect the OP is most likely about 14 years old and just knows enough about guns to ask questions. By his own admission he has only shot air rifles and one 22 caliber gun. So no matter how good the suggestions given they will never be taken.

kannonk,
Don't sweat the nay-sayers.
Everyone has to start somewhere.
There's been plenty of threads, on this forum alone, that some folks thought disagreeable.
No doubt, there will plenty more to come.
It also seems the replies that are the most rude and insulting are the least helpful.
I would have no interest in a .32acp revolver, but there's lots of stuff I see no purpose to.
So what?
Variety makes the world go 'round.

I looked at .32 H&R magnum and .22 magnum but those are above 300 ft/lbs. Some other .32 for revolvers go under 800 fps. The .38 Special is still a bit much as far as recoil is concerned.
Not to appear argumentative, but to be helpful....

Recoil is a function of momentum--the product of mass and velocity--and not one of kinetic energy--the product of mass and the square of the velocity, divided by 2.

And, like the saying goes, it's all in the wrist.
Or at least in the grip.
The gun is the least of it, well up to a point.
The easiest way to deal with recoil is with good instruction on how to control it.
More better than buying, selling and trading guns.
Unless, of course, ya' like buying, selling and trading guns. :)

38 recoil is usually handled by the round. Folks recommend wadcutters - which are quite mild. Surprisingly, analyses suggest they are efficacious rounds.

He's probably been watching too many of the wrong youtube videos.
As OldMarksman asks, how so?
There's plenty of videos by people who explain it very well on youtube and other places.
It's easy to tell who knows and who doesn't.
The ones whose muzzles hardly move between shots are the ones to watch and learn from.

g willikers said:
And, like the saying goes, it's all in the wrist.
Or at least in the grip.
The gun is the least of it, well up to a point.

Yep, right up to the point where you actually pull the trigger.

Wimps, I's surrounded by Wimps. :)
But seriously, if anyone is having trouble with controlling recoil from a regular ole' handgun, check out Mike Seeklander's youtube series of videos on the subject.
His are the best ones I've found, so far.
Unless you're shooting a really big boomer, with good technique it's not that big a deal.
Really, I wouldn't fib about it.
Well, don't just sit there - Git over there and check it out.

Unless you're shooting a really big boomer, with good technique it's not that big a deal.
Really, I wouldn't fib about it.
I believe you entirely. My suspicion is that the vast majority of recoil intolerance is mental. Just being afraid it's going to hurt. Especially in light of so many new shooters in recent years.

The ones whose muzzles hardly move between shots are the ones to watch and learn from.
That's one aspect of recoil.

Others include the cumulative and permanent effects of tendon, nerve, and joint damage.

Poor technique can exacerbate those problems, but no technique an eliminate them.

Physics and physiology.

And those are not "all in the wrist".

There's another variable: the mass of the firearm. A hot .357 load in a long-barreled Model 27 and the same load in a Scandium snubby are two different animals.

When switching from a J frame to a N frame and I can tell you there is a world of difference shooting the same ammo. Gun weight makes a huge difference! Some thing new shooters may not be aware of.

I would tell the OP the same thing I tell every new shooter for a first gun. Get a 38/357 like a 4" GP-100. It has enough weight that mild loads like wad cutters feel like just a little more than a 22. Twenty Twos are great starter guns and a whole lot cheaper to shoot but not every one wants one.

Reload for the 38 and it can be as gentle as a 22 with a heavier gun like a K-frame S&W or the above mentioned Ruger.

But the OP is good about ignoring advice and is concerned about recoil for people with metal inserts in their hands. Just read some of his other threads. So I for one do not know how to help him or steer him in a direction from a fantasy 32 caliber gun that does not exist or cannot be owned in Canada where he lives.

I'm done. You guys have fun with it.

Last edited:
The phrase "It's all in the wrist" is not meant to be taken literally.
It's an old timey way to say it's all about technique, whatever the subject being discussed.
Get it?
Got it!
Good.

I would tell the OP the same thing I tell every new shooter for a first gun. Get a 38/357 like a 4" GP-100. It has enough weight that mild loads like wad cutters feel like just a little more than a 22. Twenty Twos are great starter guns and a whole lot cheaper to shoot but not every one wants one.
I don't think nearly nonexistent recoil is what his intentions are. I think what he wants is the smallest centerfire revolver, that weighs as little as possible, that shoots the lowest recoiling round as possible, but is as effective as possible.

That pretty much already exists in the .327 LCR, but I'm thinking he wants a 5 shot .32 that's shrunk down to as small a size as possible and has the shortest cylinder possible, hench the interest in .32 ACP.

That revolver is never going to exist.

IDK, maybe the kid has shruken Donald Trump baby hands.

Trump-Hands.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back