Alternatives when you can't carry?

I'd say Good self defense Techniques are irreplaceable, a good pocket knife with a locking blade ( I carry a leatherman MUT) , But something that is very inconspicuous is the UZI tactical Pen 2 or the UZI tactical defender Pen.

Kimber Life-act, knife, green laser. I will go no place in the US again where I cannot carry, but I just visited South Africa in December after a 12 year absence. Sadly, one cannot take handguns there anymore. My mo was to carry Kimber in front right pocket, knife in left, and laser in rear right. I think a laser in the eye would discourage most muggers if you have something to back that up with. Thankfully I had a great time in SA with no incidents.

Last edited:
It's too bad pepper spray is illegal in NYS. A bunch of nonsense if you ask me, or else I'd be carrying that too and I'd have one more defense to use before having to shoot, or like this topic is about, when I can't carry..

Last edited by a moderator:
While certainly not "non-lethal", I still carry my Kershaw Tanto Blur in many places and situations that I cannot carry a firearm. Also, while it's a bit bulky to carry on your person, a 4 D-Cell Maglite makes a fearsome weapon in the right hands.

Kershaw Leek
I have a taser for nonlethal carry I forget the brand I dont carry it too often.
also a k-bar fixed blade and baseball bat in my truck

My canes, Use two because of blown knees.
Note: The American Tae Kwando Association has a course in their use.

Mental attitude: Age and treachery will beat youth and skill any time.

Don't talk when confronted assess the situation then attack. Maim your first opponent then focus on the next. Generally, most members of a pack are followers, if the Alphas go down the betas will leave.

G.Gordon Liddy's discussions in his book Will expound this basic philosphy.

I don't think OC is illegal in NYS but there are rules:

The New York State Self-Defense Spray Law - Penal Law 265.20
Requires special labeling and control of sales. In order to purchase this product the law states:

• You must be over the age of 18.
• You must have no history of felony convictions or assaults.
• Product must be purchased from an authorized dealer, pharmacy or gun dealer.
• You must complete a form with your name, address, birth date and signature.

If this isn't current, please correct me.

Even when I'm armed, I always have a knife with me ... make sure you know the laws in your area about the legal length of blade you can carry ... great tools and an excellent port in a non-gun storm ...

If my wife is with me, she always carries a Kimber two-shot pepper spray gizmo in her purse ...

TheGoldenState said:
Honestly people should know how to fight, or at least throw a proper punch, and know how to shoot (and stuff) a takedown.

It is the most primal form of self-defense, and it is as important as any method, much moreso than a vast majority of others, imo.

Absolutely. I think many gun lovers tend to neglect this. It's not enough to have read about those things or to have done them in the past, you need practice (not once every 5 years) so that your body is used to them. If you didn't get real fighting experience at some point in your youth or later on, at the very least you should make working out with a heavy bag part of your workout routine. You'd be surprised how much your wrists are challenged by pounding the heavy bag even if you lift weights all the time. Not the same as rapid impacts against something that doesn't want to move. You need to have your body programmed to naturally throw punches and KEEP throwing them (no 10 punches then rest routine, simulate a real boxing round).

I often wear so called "combat" gloves that contain steel shot in a padded area above the knuckles. They look very much like normal black leather gloves, but you'd definitely have more impact with every hit. Might be enough to turn the tide in your favor. Police style tactical gloves with protruding hard knuckles are not stealthy at all, although they could give the same kind of advantage.

Also, someone said it earlier----the mind, via treachery, is a weapon. :D

Remember folks that if you get yourself into a fight of any kind and especially if you use a weapon of any kind there will be consequences. The police might just come and arrest everyone then let the Prosecutor figure out the next steps. The jurisdiction I am in they run all serious assaults through a grand jury to determine the "next steps". Therefore, you want to avoid trouble. For example, I went to a movie theatre last night and when I pulled in there were some young characters who looked a bit thuggish (for a lack of a better word). So I drove right out the exit of the parking lot and found another movie theatre where I felt more comfortable. I know I can defend myself against these characters, but why would I want to try? I would rather just find another place to watch my movie.

Great example of the mind as a defensive weapon. The best way to win is...not having to fight. Street thugs have nothing to lose anyway...but most law abiding citizens have much to lose.

Back